Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dun Laoghaire Ironman 70.3 2019

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

TriFirst wrote: »
    This is why I am suggesting multiple tri clubs collaborate to help make it happen plus if a sponsor could be tied in to carry the financial burden that would certainly help raise the profile. I would also look at having sprint and or Olympic distance at most to facilitate such road closures. A bike loop of 20km would be alot easier to accommodate than a 90km route. Im just throwing out suggestions. Ultimately its about a city with a population of 1.5 to 2 million people having more than one triathlon per year. Ironman picked Dun laoghaire because of access to sea, a flat run course and bike route away from the city centre. We should be utilising this natural amenity to facilitate another race in Ironman's absence.

Are you saying in county Dublin the Dun Laoighre 70.3 race andPirahna DCT are the only events? If you are you are wrong....

Skerries is Dublin and organised by Fingal tri club, Pulse Port Beach is organised by a Dublin Club (Pulse), King of Greystones is practically Dublin, Wicklow harbour is a short jaunt, Blessington Triathlon organised by Belpark a Dublin club and a race thats practiaclly in Dublin its so close...

Theres also a reason that all of these clubs cross the border to Wicklow, Louth etc to run events, the councils and Guards account for a lot of the reasons as well as getting road closures in Dublin being very difficult/expensive

EDIT: Don't frogoet Duathlons and Aquathlons, Phoenix park duathlons, bull wall aquathons all in Dublin, Bray consider themselves Dublin half the time and there are aquathons there. Howth challange aquathon....

There was a triathlon organised at the NAC which was stopped partly due to not getting road closures amongst other reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Ultimately its about a city with a population of 1.5 to 2 million people having more than one triathlon per year.

The east coast is well served with multiple tri events so I think you are misguided in thinking there is only one triathlon in Dublin per year?

The issues with event organisation have been done to death on this forum over the years and there are multiple reasons why people, myself included, are browned off with it. People's expectations of what can be delivered at particular price points is part of the problem.

Running a triathlon in a major urban centre is extremely difficult and costly. Ironman charge the big bucks and provide a premium race experience as a result, complete with closed roads, etc. In my experience, road closures cannot be achieved in a low cost race without compromising in other areas.

Pardon my cynicism but I don't see multiple tri clubs coming together to organise anything... what would be in it for the clubs?

There are lots of commercial races in Ireland that provide events and each have their own issues. Imagine trying to handle all of those issues whilst working with one of the local authorities in Dublin? Even Ironman, at their price point, don't seem to be able to turn a profit in Dublin (presume this is why it may be cancelled), so how would anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

Are you saying in county Dublin the Dun Laoighre 70.3 race andPirahna DCT are the only events? If you are you are wrong....

Skerries is Dublin and organised by Fingal tri club, Pulse Port Beach is organised by a Dublin Club (Pulse), King of Greystones is practically Dublin, Wicklow harbour is a short jaunt, Blessington Triathlon organised by Belpark a Dublin club and a race thats practiaclly in Dublin its so close...

Theres also a reason that all of these clubs cross the border to Wicklow, Louth etc to run events, the councils and Guards account for a lot of the reasons as well as getting road closures in Dublin being very difficult/expensive

EDIT: Don't frogoet Duathlons and Aquathlons, Phoenix park duathlons, bull wall aquathons all in Dublin, Bray consider themselves Dublin half the time and there are aquathons there. Howth challange aquathon....

There was a triathlon organised at the NAC which was stopped partly due to not getting road closures amongst other reasons

I am familiar with all of the triathlons you reference because i have competed in all of them except Skerries. I have also competed in the duathlons and aquathlons mentioned. My point is specifically related to triathlon in Dublin , not 'practically' in Dublin. Ironman saw fit to use Dun laoghaire for several years because they saw the potential of Dun laoghaire and Dublin. They have chosen to depart so all Im saying is theres now an opportunity to replace an Ironman triathlon with another, albeit a shorter distance. Greater Dublin has a population of approaching 2 million people and would have a lot of triathletes. I do not believe the capital is served sufficiently when it comes to triathlons. If there is enough of a will to hold a triathlon in place of Ironman Dun laoghaire then it will happen as will whatever road closures are necessary. I would suggest a sprint distance triathlon or an olympic distance on a 20km loop around dun laoghaire to minimise the roads affected. Its absolutely doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

EC1000 wrote: »
    The east coast is well served with multiple tri events so I think you are misguided in thinking there is only one triathlon in Dublin per year?

The issues with event organisation have been done to death on this forum over the years and there are multiple reasons why people, myself included, are browned off with it. People's expectations of what can be delivered at particular price points is part of the problem.

Running a triathlon in a major urban centre is extremely difficult and costly. Ironman charge the big bucks and provide a premium race experience as a result, complete with closed roads, etc. In my experience, road closures cannot be achieved in a low cost race without compromising in other areas.

Pardon my cynicism but I don't see multiple tri clubs coming together to organise anything... what would be in it for the clubs?

There are lots of commercial races in Ireland that provide events and each have their own issues. Imagine trying to handle all of those issues whilst working with one of the local authorities in Dublin? Even Ironman, at their price point, don't seem to be able to turn a profit in Dublin (presume this is why it may be cancelled), so how would anyone else?

Its a sad state of affairs if several triathlon clubs cant put their heads together and court a sponsor to help them put on a triathlon in the capital city. Whats in it for the clubs ? The love of the sport. isnt that why we do what we do? Isnt that why we train in all weathers getting up at stupid oclock and sacrificing a social life at times? Ironman are a brand, a commercial enterprise looking to turn a profit. Im not suggesting that this should be a profit making exercise, simply an opportunity to race. Certainly swimming in Dunlaoghaire is far more appealing to me than the Liffey, plus the benefit to having a race away from the city centre would mean less disruption in the heart of the city. Now personally I would love to race through the streets of the city centre but that seems like a step too far which is why I think Dun laoghaire is the next best thing. All im hearing here is negatives based on the status quo, if we let the status quo dictate the limits of our abilities we would never see any change.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭joey100

Without trying to sound like an a##hole, but you seem to reckon it's easily do-able, that it should be done, that the demand is there and that it should be done for the love of the sport rather than any profit -- have you looked into organising it with your club or local club? It's all grand saying someone should organise one, but have you put yourself forward and looked into it or began the process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Whats in it for the clubs ? The love of the sport. isnt that why we do what we do?

.........Im not suggesting that this should be a profit making exercise, simply an opportunity to race......

We are very much going over old ground here but I'll take the bait.....

Any race, whether a club race or a commercial race, MUST turn a profit, EVERY year. If any of the numerous parties involved don't get paid (e.g. Gardai, traffic management, timing co, food suppliers, skip hire, toilet hire, order of Malta, etc. etc. etc.) then there is no year 2. Whatever about a multinational company that has other revenue streams to fill the gap, a small club or group of clubs have no option of carrying losses so therefore must turn a profit each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Its a sad state of affairs if several triathlon clubs cant put their heads together and court a sponsor to help them put on a triathlon in the capital city. Whats in it for the clubs ? The love of the sport. isnt that why we do what we do? Isnt that why we train in all weathers getting up at stupid oclock and sacrificing a social life at times? Ironman are a brand, a commercial enterprise looking to turn a profit. Im not suggesting that this should be a profit making exercise, simply an opportunity to race. Certainly swimming in Dunlaoghaire is far more appealing to me than the Liffey, plus the benefit to having a race away from the city centre would mean less disruption in the heart of the city. Now personally I would love to race through the streets of the city centre but that seems like a step too far which is why I think Dun laoghaire is the next best thing. All im hearing here is negatives based on the status quo, if we let the status quo dictate the limits of our abilities we would never see any change.

The love of the sport? Do you know the effort and time that goes into running any race? Never mind a mass participation middle distance race in an urban area?

You are rather new to the sport aren't you? And perhaps adulthood?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

Any new info if this will happen in 2020?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

elnino23 wrote: »
    Any new info if this will happen in 2020?

Been following the IronMan Ireland facebook page and while there has been no announcement or anything official, I get would be suprised if it goes ahead. Somebody mentioned rumours of a 70.3 event being held elsewhere.

I am guessing the cost of road cosures in DLR combined with the low turnout makes it not viable.

The survey they sent out after the event this year was quite detailed in trying to asses the benefit to the local economy..e.g. did you spend on local accomadation etc..

If it doesnt go ahead its a real shame I thought Dun Laoghaire was an amazing venue. I had a few people come watch me on the run and they hadn't been to Dun Laoghaire in years and they were very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5CHULZY

I sent an email last week asking if there was any update on a date as this will be my first ironman hopefully. I got this reply

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately none of the details for 2020 have been finalised yet! Once they have they will be announced on the website and social media pages, so I would advise that you keep an eye on these.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions just let me know.

So not getting my Hope's up and thinking of doing the Weymouth 70.3 instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭5CHULZY

I sent an email last week asking if there was any update on a date as this will be my first ironman hopefully. I got this reply

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for getting in touch. Unfortunately none of the details for 2020 have been finalised yet! Once they have they will be announced on the website and social media pages, so I would advise that you keep an eye on these.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions just let me know.

So not getting my Hope's up and thinking of doing the Weymouth 70.3 instead

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

S_D wrote: »
    Its not happening next year. Contract or not, its not going ahead. And that's 100%

Just confirmed officially it will not be going ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 edit_me

No more IM DL70.3, DCM moving to lottery system - my 2020 racing calendar doesn't look very optimistic.....

and brexit around the corner...were fu*ked haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Ah that's such a shame I knew it was under threat it was a great course and event.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 seant5215

It was probably not commercially viable from a Wanda perspective.
    As Tri247 states: the trend of entry numbers has been significantly downward for Ireland’s 70.3 event, those five races (data from the officials results lists), showing athlete numbers as 2437, 1908, 1537, 1663, 1282.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

Will they do a 70.3 in another Irish location? I also notice Youghal didn't sell out yet is that struggling for numbers? possibly because no one can get accommodation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Will they do a 70.3 in another Irish location? I also notice Youghal didn't sell out yet is that struggling for numbers? possibly because no one can get accommodation?

Youghal wasn't a great course, particularly the bike. And while fantastically supported the weather and photos would have hurt it

Well more so because the chances of a swim are slim to none so I cant imagine that being an attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭rodneyr1981

S_D wrote: »
    Well more so because the chances of a swim are slim to none so I cant imagine that being an attraction.

Out of interest why is this the case? Don't know the area so a serious question.
    Open bay etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

tunney wrote: »
    Youghal wasn't a great course, particularly the bike. And while fantastically supported the weather and photos would have hurt it

I'd agree regarding the weather and the cancelled swim may hurt the event. I found the bike course was good and fast only a small section had poor road surface but overall it was your typical Irish road surface throughout out it.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Out of interest why is this the case? Don't know the area so a serious question.
    Open bay etc?

I think conditions have to be perfect (warm weather and calm) in order to get a full swim in, having people in a choppy cold sea for 90+ mins not a good idea. I reckon chances of getting full distance swim are 50/50

Advertisement