Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this natural or man made.

Options
  • 09-04-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I posted these pictures in the Archaeological section of boards but was advised to ask here.

I would appreciate any help identifying the following object I found recently in my garden. I often find fossils but I do not a clue what this is. It is the size of a 10 cent coin and weighs about 5 grams

Front view. I thought those marking looked man-made.

2cr7vgz.jpg

Side view

8x80v5.jpg

Underside

eq5lxv.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Just my (ill informed) opinion...

Probably a fossil - maybe something from the limpet family?

I can't think of any man-made parallels (apart from the one suggested by Mocmo in the archaeology forum, and even that is doubtful).
    The radial marks around the central perforation are minute. The only way they could be made artificially would be with a blade of some kind, and that would produce regular marks that would more than likely have continued all the way around.

The perforation itself is sub-circular on the dorsal surface and completely irregular on the ventral surface, so we can rule out mechanical boring.

The lamination visible in the second photo also points to it being an ecofact from a sedimentary rock.
    Was it found in soils derived from limestone or sandstone bedrock?

These observations indicate that it is an ecofact rather than an artefact.

It might be worth contacting the Natural History Museum for a final verdict.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Hedgelayer

This reminds me, I found something on a beach before and it's quite odd looking.

I'm not sure if it's a thin vertrabe from a mammal or big shark or maybe a thirty year old spool of black fishing line incased in a white spool.
    Which the elements crafted into something more natural looking.

I might get it checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Ardrageen

Thank you for your reply. You may well be right about the limpet fossil idea.
    slowburner wrote: »
    Was it found in soils derived from limestone or sandstone bedrock?
    Limestone

Advertisement