Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

sc86 wrote: »
    shows how much his interest has dropped from general bandwagon

Definitely - a lot of colleagues, friends etc who wouldn't be huge MMA fans but would always have taken an interest in past McGregor fights, most I've spoke to didn't even know he was fighting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Looks in great nick judging by his latest Instagram photos. Best I’ve seen him look in a while.

Whether his reactions and athleticism are still there remains to be seen.

Watched Cowboy vs Alvarez there last night. Jesus he put some beating on him too. Vicious leg kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Another thing about Cowboy is he fights too much. He fought May,June, Sept last year which is ridiculous. He'll have had a decent rest and put in a good camp for this so should be in good nick for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

rob316 wrote: »
    Another thing about Cowboy is he fights too much. He fought May,June, Sept last year which is ridiculous. He'll have had a decent rest and put in a good camp for this so should be in good nick for it.

Fair enough though. He knows hes shot as a fighter so hes trying to earn as much as possible as quick as he can. Cerrone has fought 18 times in the last 5 years and lost to anyone half decent. Earned a few million though!

I think the McGregor fight will be the end regardless of result. He'll walk away with a good few million from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

yes be right time to go if he loses , if he wins he could really cash in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,954 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The Nal wrote: »
    Fair enough though. He knows hes shot as a fighter so hes trying to earn as much as possible as quick as he can. Cerrone has fought 18 times in the last 5 years and lost to anyone half decent. Earned a few million though!

I think the McGregor fight will be the end regardless of result. He'll walk away with a good few million from it.

Cowboy is a rich dude anyway away from fighting he was born rich, he just loves to fight. 18 fights in the UFC in 5 years is alot, there isnt many doing those numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Can they server booze till as late as 5am or even later?? More likely they will stop serving booze, or run out of it, around 2am.
    If you factor in you’re getting 10 alcoholic drinks maybe even more then €80 isn’t bad value. But chances are there will be more fighting offscreen than onscreen!!
    €80 is steep enough if you don’t get at least 10 drinks.
    The bollox you come out with at times, Bluebell have done this for nearly every fight and there's never any hassle.
    I'll be at this, there will be a decent crowd there from HQ

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

rob316 wrote: »
    Cowboy is a rich dude anyway away from fighting he was born rich, he just loves to fight. 18 fights in the UFC in 5 years is alot, there isnt many doing those numbers.

Not sure he's so rich. It's been said before that he fights so often because he needs to, as he is so bad with his money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Not sure he's so rich. It's been said before that he fights so often because he needs to, as he is so bad with his money.

I think the story was that his Grandfather bought him his ranch and he a had 6 figure trust fund

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Depends what you mean by rich.

John Rockefeller on seeing JP Morgan had 80 million famously said, "to think he wasn't even a wealthy man".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

That's about 6.30pm in cmcg time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Is that Eastern Time for the presser? So 10pm Irish time?

Also, I'm a Sky customer but don't have a BT sub.
    How do I order the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

BT Boxoffice channel somewhere in the high 400's (490 something) should be red button type action to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I wonder if Conor will be pouring from his bottle of Proper 12 at this presser??
    I think Cowboy will be drinking a Bud and will try to pressure Conor into drinking the whiskey.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I wonder if Conor will be pouring from his bottle of Proper 12 at this presser??
    I think Cowboy will be drinking a Bud and will try to pressure Conor into drinking the whiskey.

Does it matter. A couple of whiskeys a few days before a fight isn't going to make a difference. Plus, he could always have the bottle filled with something that looks like whiskey but isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Does it matter. A couple of whiskeys a few days before a fight isn't going to make a difference. Plus, he could always have the bottle filled with something that looks like whiskey but isn't.

i think its a good point actually with all the bul**** he was at with khabib, basically trying to force him to drink it.

that would be new levels of sad if he was to fill the whiskey bottle with something else just for that purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

It's Pacific time. So more like midnight Irish time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

You can just order the event through BT box office on sky. No BT Sub needed. I did it for the last khabib fight

He definitely shouldn’t be downing shots few days before the fight like he was doing before Khabib. And he even said at his event in Moscow that there would be no booze.
    I was suspecting at the Khabib presser that it must not have been whiskey in the bottle, tho apparently it was. But if he was drinking something non alcohol from. Proper 12 bottle, that would be ammunition for Cowboy to belittle Conor at this event. Same way Cowboy will try to belittle him by drinking Bud. I reckon this is gonna happen.
    Sure we will find out who is the biggest badass on Sunday morning, but this is 1 example of where Cowboy can take a psychological advantage if he plays his cards right.

• Advertisement

I think cowboy will also drink the whiskey at this event!! Reckon it will be fairly good natured and light hearted tho.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

akelly02 wrote: »
    that would be new levels of sad if he was to fill the whiskey bottle with something else just for that purpose

Fighters and sports people do it all the time with monster and other sponsored drinks. All those bottles of monster you see at UFC events, they don't actually have monster in them.

Any insights on the beard length for us man vs manure ?

There will definitely be Bud in cowboys bottle.
    If Conor has something and it’s not whiskey in it, cowboy will make him look like an ass at this presser.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

What like Proper 12?

dashoonage wrote: »
    Any insights on the beard length for us man vs manure ?

Unless he does something extreme like he did haircut-wise immediately before the mayweather fight, his beard will be longest he has had it for any fight. It was long vs Khabib but now is much more longer, like a quarter of a zz top kinda length. He is looking good with it!!

Unless he does something extreme like he did haircut-wise immediately before the mayweather fight, his beard will be longest he has had it for any fight. It was long vs Khabib but now is much more longer, like a quarter of a zz top kinda length. He is looking good with it!!

How do you see this affecting the fight ?

Will the beard combined with whether there is proper 12 in the bottle at the presser have a huge affect on the outcome ?

I think if it goes to ground the beard could cause some issues but may be a benefit in the clinch against the cage

dashoonage wrote: »
    How do you see this affecting the fight ?

Will the beard combined with whether there is proper 12 in the bottle at the presser have a huge affect on the outcome ?

I think if it goes to ground the beard could cause some issues but may be a benefit in the clinch against the cage

They should have to drink Proper 12 and Bud in between rounds also if it goes past round 1.
    Hopefully the ref will be professional and punish cowboy if he decides to use Conor’s nice beard to his advantage. They should Mike Beltran to red this. He is full part zz top so he will be well used to beard interference impacting on his every day life.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Fighters and sports people do it all the time with monster and other sponsored drinks. All those bottles of monster you see at UFC events, they don't actually have monster in them.

What does be In the cans? Seen Conor drink from a can at a press conference before.

• Advertisement

Poor virgin media subscribers, myself included, are the only people in Ireland who don’t even have the option to dish out a few more of their hard earned euro to watch this in the comfort of our warm homes.

Advertisement