Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Abducted In Plain Sight [netflix]

• 19-02-2019 11:39am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Has anybody else watched this? It's a 1 hour 30 minute-ish documentary about a neighbour infiltrating his neighbour's family and abducting the 12 year old daughter (twice).

I honestly had to stop watching a few times, a couple because I couldn't actually believe that a family could allow this to happen. Also, the aliens (yes, aliens), the stuff with the dad and mother are also bizzare.

While watching, I couldn't get over the familiarity of Jan....so I googled her as well and turns out she has had a solid acting career and in lots of stuff I've seen!

I've heard that there was stuff on the cutting room floor that is being pieced together for a second movie.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/02/abducted-in-plain-sight-netflix-jan-broberg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I honestly had to stop watching a few times, a couple because I couldn't actually believe that a family could allow this to happen. Also, the aliens (yes, aliens), the stuff with the dad and mother are also bizzare.]

I think it's a fantastic illustration of psychological warfare and manipulation. A lot of people are calling the family stupid but the thing is if you're dealing with an expert manipulator then all normal bets are off. It's insidious.

If the director can look at doing a 2nd installment focusing on those issues (mid control, the place of the church, societal expectations etc) then I think it'll be really great.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

B was definitely a master manipulator! Not only that, the effort involved in coming up with the stories and recording all whilst having his own family.

They are not the only family that he had engaged with either as far as I know.

I understand from what I've read that the cutting room floor stuff is other events around the abductions that were too 'out there' for the documentary.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

Ah lads, so you have an neighbor who's having an affair with your wife and you masturbate him off and your not concerned about having him near your kids? Pretty sure if this happened today parents would be charged on grounds of neglect..

He done that to manipulate the parents and to keep them quiet.
    Some of the stuff that wasn't aired is in relation to the family confronting B as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

As bad as the majority of stuff in the documentary was, the notion that after he'd kidnapped her for several weeks, they allowed him to spend time with her, 4 or 5 nights a week for several months, in her bed, while she was asleep... that blows my f*cking mind. I mean whatever about manipulation etc, the parents absof*ckinglutely failed her.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just watched this...what..the...actual...f#ck!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Ollibelo

How the feck did they allow him to lie down in the bed with her, in her bedroom.
    Where were they? Did he drug them? There's a lot going on in that 'family'.
    And the way the girl, now woman, Jan... I can't come to terms with the way she spoke about how she loved him so profoundly...
    And how her mum, when on the phone to her, when Jan was abducted for the second time, at 14, I think, was asking : so do you still want to marry him...
    I wonder about the family.
    They did mention the church/religious beliefs and their capacity to forgive, but it's mind bending.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭micks_address

Ollibelo wrote: »
    How the feck did they allow him to lie down in the bed with her, in her bedroom.
    Where were they? Did he drug them? There's a lot going on in that 'family'.
    And the way the girl, now woman, Jan... I can't come to terms with the way she spoke about how she loved him so profoundly...
    And how her mum, when on the phone to her, when Jan was abducted for the second time, at 14, I think, was asking : so do you still want to marry him...
    I wonder about the family.
    They did mention the church/religious beliefs and their capacity to forgive, but it's mind bending.
    Im not surprised by the daughter at all, I mean if you told a 12 year old her parents would die if she didn't do something then most would probably react the same way..it's the adults behavior that astounded me..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Im not surprised by the daughter at all, I mean if you told a 12 year old her parents would die if she didn't do something then most would probably react the same way..it's the adults behavior that astounded me..

Except that she believed the story until she was 16. I suspect the LDS church has a larger role to play in this story than the documentary let on.

It was crazy stuff, I couldn't believe how the parents acted.

• Advertisement

I think that the documentary was made to look like the parents were buffoons, whereas B was extremely good at manipulating and leading people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I think it's a fantastic illustration of psychological warfare and manipulation. A lot of people are calling the family stupid but the thing is if you're dealing with an expert manipulator then all normal bets are off. It's insidious.
    I think that the documentary was made to look like the parents were buffoons, whereas B was extremely good at manipulating and leading people.

The families of two others girls he was interested in targetting eventually swatted him away in time though. So this clearly couldn’t have happened to anyone.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I was so shocked at the parents, I know it was a different time but come on. I thought the mother was a bit too wistful when she spoke of him to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

pc7 wrote: »
    I was so shocked at the parents, I know it was a different time but come on. I thought the mother was a bit too wistful when she spoke of him to be honest.

Seems to me that the parents put there own needs ahead of those of there daughter. Whatever about letting him sleep in her bed before her abduction but to let him do it again after just beggars belief.

Advertisement