Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retained Fire Fighters Blue/Red Lights on personal cars?

• 09-02-2019 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi long time reader first time poster. Hope I have this in the correct place.

I was always under the impression retained fire fighters were not allowed use any flashing emergency lights on their personal cars when responding to the station to a call.

Just asking because last week I was driving through a town in County Cork and I heard the station alarm sound while I was stuck in traffic passing through.

A short time later I noticed a van with a fire brigade sticker like I see in my own home town heading in the opposite direction to me but then I spotted a small car with the same sticker and a light on the windscreen like the Guards have flashing red and blue. Just wondering am I right that this is illegal ?

Thanks

John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭ratracer

Yes, it is completely illegal!

Flashing red lights are not allowed on the front of any vehicle, Blue flashing lights on private cars are also illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ry7704ng

JOShea123 wrote: »
    Hi long time reader first time poster. Hope I have this in the correct place.

I was always under the impression retained fire fighters were not allowed use any flashing emergency lights on their personal cars when responding to the station to a call.

Just asking because last week I was driving through a town in County Cork and I heard the station alarm sound while I was stuck in traffic passing through.

A short time later I noticed a van with a fire brigade sticker like I see in my own home town heading in the opposite direction to me but then I spotted a small car with the same sticker and a light on the windscreen like the Guards have flashing red and blue. Just wondering am I right that this is illegal ?

Thanks

John

Yup completely illegal, i think officers are if they are high up enough. I could be wrong though. although personally I think they should be legal for retained lads to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Schindlers Pissed

I totally disagree about retained lads being allowed lights on a private car....imagine say 10 different cars all racing to a station from different directions....carnage, and pointless.

As regards the OP, it's totally illegal to have forward facing red lights on a car. I would love to see what his/her insurance company would have to say about it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Probably one of those 'ah sure its grand' things. Until there is an accident and then there is all sorts of problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Richard Bingham

Probably one of those 'ah sure its grand' things. Until there is an accident and then there is all sorts of problems.

Assistant Chiefs are allowed blues and two’s on private car as when on call they will be driving direct from home to an incident. I get the impression though that they are told not to do anything silly like break a speed limit. Seems sensible when you think of it - if you knew the guy in the car behind you was on his way to supervise crash victims being cut out of a wreck you’d get out of his way and if he’s not speeding what’s the harm.

Far less harm than the guy I saw bullying his way up the bus lane in a Dublin Fire Brigade pickup the other day despite not being on his way to an incident.

• Advertisement

Far less harm than the guy I saw bullying his way up the bus lane in a Dublin Fire Brigade pickup the other day despite not being on his way to an incident.

How do you know? Do you follow him to his final destination?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Richard Bingham

How do you know? Do you follow him to his final destination?

Yes, it just so happened that I was behind him until he got to his destination and I couldn’t see any smoke coming out of the Spar shop he walked into.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I see civil defence 4x4 doing this most days around Fairview.

Yes, it just so happened that I was behind him until he got to his destination and I couldn’t see any smoke coming out of the Spar shop he walked into.

I hope you stopped and gave him a good talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Assistant Chiefs are allowed blues and two’s on private car as when on call they will be driving direct from home to an incident. I get the impression though that they are told not to do anything silly like break a speed limit. Seems sensible when you think of it - if you knew the guy in the car behind you was on his way to supervise crash victims being cut out of a wreck you’d get out of his way and if he’s not speeding what’s the harm.

Stillorgan?

• Advertisement
Advertisement