Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WRITTEN EXAMINERS 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

spurious wrote: »
    Yes I wrote and my Advising Examiner wrote too, as others in her group were in the same boat. I think she felt bad as she was the intermediary who got us to take the extra scripts and then we got stiffed on the money.

We got a reply along the lines of 'that was some subjects not yours'. I sent in a scan of the original letter of appointment which did indeed say 'in some subjects', so that was their get out clause.

IMO a clear misrepresentation on their part but anyway they won't catch me again.

And then they wonder why they can’t get people to do this work lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

First time correcting this year. Is it worthwhile going to your subject association exam review or may it influence the way you end up correcting the exam papers which may not be in line with the SEC.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

First time correcting this year. Is it worthwhile going to your subject association exam review or may it influence the way you end up correcting the exam papers which may not be in line with the SEC.

It's worth going if you feel particularly strongly about a question that you think may have misled candidates into writing something that would lead to them losing marks, otherwise, no not really.

You must correct the papers according to the SEC Marking Scheme, nothing else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's worth going if you feel particularly strongly about a question that you think may have misled candidates into writing something that would lead to them losing marks, otherwise, no not really.

You must correct the papers according to the SEC Marking Scheme, nothing else.

Loadsa teachers involved in subject associations and marking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

You correct according to the marking scheme provided by the SEC and nothing else. The exam review by a subject association is an opinion and nothing more. Sure, it's an informed opinion, but it's no different to reading a review in the times or the indo the day after the exam. That has no bearing on how you mark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

You correct according to the marking scheme provided by the SEC and nothing else. The exam review by a subject association is an opinion and nothing more. Sure, it's an informed opinion, but it's no different to reading a review in the times or the indo the day after the exam. That has no bearing on how you mark.

You could bring up discrepancies mentioned at reviews in the marking conference.
    Typically the 'any other suitable method/explanation' part of marking scheme is worth bringing to other markers attention. I found that some markers would only stick to the suggested answers at the conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 amaryt03

Anyone correcting JC HL maths P2?? Looks like we are not online this yr. Was hoping we were. last year it was ment to be and changed back just before conference, If I remember correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

amaryt03 wrote: »
    Anyone correcting JC HL maths P2?? Looks like we are not online this yr. Was hoping we were. last year it was ment to be and changed back just before conference, If I remember correctly

https://www.examinations.ie/misc-doc/BI-SE-69010084.pdf

This document outlines what is being corrected online.

Ohh cheers thanks.
    We're still on paper so

No problem, I'm corrected JC Maths as well, by choice though, I didn't want to do online so I've moved from LC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Moody_mona wrote: »
    No problem, I'm corrected JC Maths as well, by choice though,I didn't want to do online so I've moved from LC.

Why so? I didn't want to use it the first year but that was more to do with the SEC implemented it but when I used it - it was brilliant - you're marking will be so fast. I couldn't recommend it enough.

Why so? I didn't want to use it the first year but that was more to do with the SEC implemented it but when I used it - it was brilliant - you're marking will be so fast. I couldn't recommend it enough.

Really, that's great to hear! I was meant to be online last year with LC Maths but it didn't happen, I was afraid that was going to be an omen for what a mess it would work out to be. I know the sorting is a pain and you have to be so careful with the marking sheets, but I would sooner the devil I know.

Moody_mona wrote: »
    Really, that's great to hear! I was meant to be online last year with LC Maths but it didn't happen, I was afraid that was going to be an omen for what a mess it would work out to be. I know the sorting is a pain and you have to be so careful with the marking sheets, but I would sooner the devil I know.

Yes there was legal action brought against the SEC by the scanning company hence no online correcting last year. They were 40+ examiners down in my subject last year but again it was the way the SEC handled the situation. I'm trying Leaving Cert this year so paper again, if it's not for me - I'll go back to JC next year. I used to have my quota corrected/marked in three hours. It's so fast!!! The SEC say all subjects will be online by 2022.

I was hoping I would be correcting online for those reasons. I heard it is faster and cuts out all that admin. Maybe next yr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

On a point of pedantics, the only ones correcting at this time of year are advising examiners, correcting the work of the examiners on their teams. The examiners are marking, not correcting. You correct your own students work, because you're supposed to give them feedback. For the SEC, you mark, because you're not giving individual candidates any feedback (I hope - you're in serious breach of the rules if you are), you're just assigning marks to their work.

For those who are a little worried about online marking, from what I've seen of it so far, it's actually going to be a massive improvement. It's hard to say without actual experience of the whole process, but I'm very optimistic that the whole thing will be much less painless this year, and I'm usually the first to criticise change, if I don't see the benefit of it.
    For those recruited as a Written Examiner, beware the paragraph in the letter of appointment that says if you take more papers than the average ('additional work') there will be an extra 25% payment per script.

They discussed it at our conference, a number of us took extra packets in the last couple of days and then they reneged on paying any extra fee per script.

It's baffling why they have problems recruiting and retaining examiners.
    The subjects that were getting the extra told the examiners what the number was. It might not have been a misrepresentation, so much as a misunderstanding on the part of your chief examiner, or chief advising examiner. It's possible that they read the same thing you did, and assumed it applied to all subjects if taking extra papers was necessary.
    At my conference, we were told very clearly that we were only getting paid extra if we passed a certain threshold, whether we'd accepted extra scripts or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

How long are we usually waiting for our advance? I was expecting mine by now but can’t quite remember how quickly it came last year.

How long are we usually waiting for our advance? I was expecting mine by now but can’t quite remember how quickly it came last year.

Five working days I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

First time marking exams and will be attending conference next week. What do the two conference days involve exactly?

Thanks in advance

runjb wrote: »
    First time marking exams and will be attending conference next week. What do the two conference days involve exactly?

Thanks in advance

Going through the marking scheme, understanding what all the comments mean, correcting exemplars, understanding the admin involved, meeting with your advising examiner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Thanks in advance

My subject only ever had one day, but I guess the two day ones do much the same.

Lots of admin stuff, discussion of questions that there might be issues with, then you will break into groups and correct a selection of papers to make sure everyone knows what qualifies as an acceptable answer.

Make sure to read your 'Instructions to Examiners' a few times before you go.

This applies to old style marking, not online.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys...on the second day I might have to get away a little early, is that possible or is it strict you attend the full days? Meeting with advising examiner - is this done on a one to one basis or as a small group?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Thanks guys...on the second day I might have to get away a little early, is that possible or is it strict you attend the full days? Meeting with advising examiner - is this done on a one to one basis or as a small group?

No, absolutely no chance. You’re either in or out.

Meet your advising examiner with a small group of other examiners they’re responsible for.

No getting out early. In fact that whole first evening once you get home will be very busy - counting and checking papers, starting on the sample 20 etc. There is also a set time (post conference) out at SEC HQ for examiners of each subject to pick up papers. You can't rock up early and get yours in the middle of another subject.

Meet your advising examiner with a small group of other examiners they’re responsible for.

Okay thanks for clearing that up, I’ll reschedule what I was planning on doing that evening.

So it’s an informal meet with advising examiner? I don’t need to particularly prepare for it?

Okay thanks for clearing that up, I’ll reschedule what I was planning on doing that evening.

So it’s an informal meet with advising examiner? I don’t need to particularly prepare for it?

Read the exam paper. They are available on examinations.ie
    Think about possible answers the candidates could give, or refresh knowledge on possible obscure answers.

You really won't have much time that evening once you get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Depending what it is reschedule for a month's time.
    First time examiners usually end up rechecking themselves fairly regularly and having to confer with guidelines a lot more than experienced examiners so tgat slows the process down.

To give you me prior experience as an example. I've a two day conference. You sit at round tables with your group & advisor. Marking scheme & procedures are explained. We correct some exemplars the first afternoon & wrap up about 5. Its fairly full on.
    Back for 9am next morning. Continue with exemplers. Correct scripts from SEC & drive straight home. No lunch break & offically you can't leave scripts unattended in car so I drive home, arriving about 5pm. Have a dinner. Unload scripts. Do all the counting & admin. Set myself up for marking first thing in the morning. Those that lived closer start correcting that evening. The day after I get home I must have 5 scripts corrected & make post office before evening post (takes 40 mins out of my day between driving to PO, queuing & return drive) I then continue with marking. ....
    And repeat for 25 days.

It's tough going. You really need to clear the decks before marking & absolutely don't commit to plans/outings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

You may spend most of the two days with your advising examiner, depending on the subject.

I wouldn’t plan anything other than dinner for the evening of the conference, as outlined above.

The sec staff have the papers packed up and ready to go at specific times, there’s no way of letting one person out of conference early, they would just have to wait at the sec until the appointed time to get their papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

The advice above it spot on. Just to add to it, keep working ahead . You are human , dentist appointments will need to happen. Just keep ahead and advise your advising examiner as soon as possible. You are also on summer holidays so it’s important to schedule the odd trip to the cinema/ football. Start your marking early in the day and take breaks to get some fresh air.

You may spend most of the two days with your advising examiner, depending on the subject.

I wouldn’t plan anything other than dinner for the evening of the conference, as outlined above.

The sec staff have the papers packed up and ready to go at specific times, there’s no way of letting one person out of conference early, they would just have to wait at the sec until the appointed time to get their papers.

Great, thanks for advice on all this. I’ll keep the schedule free!

When collecting from sec offices, are the papers a heavy load? Is it better I drive or could I bring them via train?

• Advertisement

Great, thanks for advice on all this. I’ll keep the schedule free!

When collecting from sec offices, are the papers a heavy load? Is it better I drive or could I bring them via train?

Drive. The SEC staff put them in your boot. You might manage with a very big suitcase but it will be heavy. If on public transport, watch case like a hawk!!

Advertisement