Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Movies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

otnomart wrote: »
    Keira Knightley to make Christmas film

"a festive tale by Camille Griffin, which has been described as a fun movie for people "who secretly dread" the holiday season.
    Keira is to play the wife at the heart of the film and her husband has yet to be cast
    The couple's screen son will be played by 'Jojo Rabbit' star Roman Griffin Davis.
    Shooting is set to begin on the film within the next few weeks."

Source: https://www.list.co.uk/article/113917-keira-knightley-to-make-christmas-film/

A few stills from Silent Night with Keira Knithtley.

33323180-8745969-image-a-3_1600389472880.jpg

33323134-8745969-image-a-6_1600389609107.jpg

33323136-8745969-image-a-2_1600389458260.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy2020

Another film I saw a few months ago on either Prime or Netflix is the Fitzgerald Family Christmas. It's written and starring Ed Burns. Well worth a watch. Irish American blue collar family celebrating Christmas and secrets are revealed.

A Christmas Gift from Bob
    Sequel to the feature film 'A STREET CAT NAMED BOB'.
    From 8 Nov

Trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Watched a bit of The Spirit Of Christmas on Sony Christmas over the weekend and oh my God it was dreadful. The main character falls in love with a ghost who isn't a ghost at this particular time of year. I didn't get as far as the falling in love bit because it was muck. Roll on Christmas 24 for some Hallmark cheese.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So it turns out Sony Christmas is no longer on virgin media.

Hi Loughc,

I'm afraid this channel is no longer included on our platform however, we are working to bring new channels on board. We do apologise for any inconvenience. ^Kellie

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Ugh, they are the worst. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Watched a bit of The Spirit Of Christmas on Sony Christmas over the weekend and oh my God it was dreadful. The main character falls in love with a ghost who isn't a ghost at this particular time of year. I didn't get as far as the falling in love bit because it was muck. Roll on Christmas 24 for some Hallmark cheese.

Dreadfully great I'm sure you mean! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭1990sman

Gremlins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

^^ I watched it as a kid and it terrified me and have never watched it again. Must give it a spin.

Another new Christmas movie from Netflix: Operation Christmas Drop
    Trailer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,119 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    So it turns out Sony Christmas is no longer on virgin media.

Hi Loughc,

I'm afraid this channel is no longer included on our platform however, we are working to bring new channels on board. We do apologise for any inconvenience. ^Kellie

TBH guys you ain't missing much.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    TBH guys you ain't missing much.

This, tried my best to watch one last night as needed some cheering up and even I couldn't watch more then 15 mins!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

TRS30 wrote: »
    This, tried my best to watch one last night as needed some cheering up and even I couldn't watch more then 15 mins!

A pro tip from a podcast was, if you're wanting something festive, throw it on in the background and mute the TV, often the set designs will include snow, Christmas trees etc. and muting it will block out the terrible plot :P

Loughc wrote: »
    A pro tip from a podcast was, if you're wanting something festive, throw it on in the background and mute the TV, often the set designs will include snow, Christmas trees etc. and muting it will block out the terrible plot :P

Funnily enough, my OH came in and said 'How do you watch those?!' followed by 'I love the decorations over the fire place' :)

Despite being a Christmas nut I've said many times I simply cant watch more than 8 or 9 Christmas movies & tend to watch the same ones each year. The hallmark style & other made for TV ones I simply haven't the will to watch, they are so poor & saccharin sweet to me they're unwatchable. I'd rather stick on one of the music channels & watch Slade & co. over & over.

Our christmas list I have copied onto a USB key that sits in the back of the TV, i've had the same films on it for years, with only Klaus added in the last few years.

At last check we had:

National Lampoons Christmas vacation
    Its a wonderful life
    Elf
    Home alone 1 & 2
    Santa Claus the movie
    Love actually
    The nightmare before Christmas
    Scrooged
    The family man

& have since added Klaus & the polar express (though we haven't watched that one the last couple of years)

I had high hopes for Last Christmas but I reckon I'll need a few years to forget that one before I watch it again.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Good solid list that DvB. Only one I would add for us is Muppets Christmas Carol.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Not sure if it has been mentioned but The Grinch is now on Netflix

kitten_k wrote: »
    Not sure if it has been mentioned but The Grinch is now on Netflix

I spotted it on Netflix last night and laughed when it was number 3 on the top 10 list haha.

Ireland ye beauties.

TRS30 wrote: »
    Good solid list that DvB. Only one I would add for us is Muppets Christmas Carol.

Have it on DVD, the kids have no interest in it though, watched it once when they were small & they liked it, went to watch it again a couple of years ago & they turned it off after 10-15 minutes despite my efforts to keep them engaged :(

Love it myself.

Die Hard
    Four Christmas's
    Home alone 1 & 2
    The Holiday (I hate it but the OH loves it)
    Love actually
    Miracle on 34th.
    Scrooged
    The family man.
    Harold and Kumar

• Advertisement

Good list that as well Jude.

Good to see Clarke topping all the lists (would be top of mine as well) :)

I have an excel sheet of 37 movies we lined up one year to watch. I think we got through five.

We would be similar, have good intentions from November and then never seem to have the time. Hopefully this year will be a bit quieter so have more time to watch movies.

Jude13 wrote: »
    Die Hard
    Four Christmas's
    Home alone 1 & 2
    The Holiday (I hate it but the OH loves it)
    Love actually
    Miracle on 34th.
    Scrooged
    The family man.
    Harold and Kumar

I love this movie but the Mrs & the kids never took to it for some reason, again I have it on DVD but might only get to see it if it appears 'live' on some channel with nothing else on.

I'm the opposite, my OH likes the most recent one, Attenborough Santa, and I can't take to it at all.

I have got some faves amongst the older classics - and also some from the 80s and 90s - which I loved in my childhood and my twenties.
    Although I love the fact that the "Christmas movie" is still alive and well as a film genre, and hope that amongst the upcoming ones there might be some new classic.
    From the recent announcements, I would be most curious to watch:
    Fatman; A Christmas Gift from Bob; A Boy Called Christmas and Silent Night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

National Lampoon's
    Trading Places
    Elf
    Bad Santa
    Santa Claus The Movie
    Polar Express
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Home Alone 1&2
    Miracle on 34th Street
    Muppets Christmas Carol
    Disney Christmas Carol (Jim Carrey one)
    The Snowman
    Arthur Christmas.

Will have to add Klaus this year after the reviews it's got on here.

Another good solid list STG.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Murphy2020

My all-time favourite list
    Home Alone 1 & 2
    The Polar Express
    Love Actually
    Willy Wonka
    The Sound of Music
    National Lampoons Christmas Vacation
    The Family Stone
    The Grinch (animated)