Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭tigger123

smurf492 wrote: »
    . More of Jack would be awesome. Ledgers joker wouldnt have most of the plaudits had he not died

Would strongly disagree with that. By any measure, it's an outstanding performance and stands on its own two feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭tigger123

Providing the reviews aren't terrible I'll definitely go see this in the cinema. Looks and sounds interesting so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This could be very interesting indeed

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

tigger123 wrote: »
    Would strongly disagree with that. By any measure, it's an outstanding performance and stands on its own two feet.

Was an outstanding superhero film at the time, still holds up well. If its ever on tv i make sure to watch it. Although Nolan has his critics he treated the series brilliantly and set a great tone throughout.

I'm excitied for Phoenix, brilliant semi-underated actor imo. Rarely has a bad film so wouldn't of took on the project if it wasn't right, so im optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,592 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Dnu3MKIX4AEo1Au.jpg

Dnu3M3BW4AEqkLs.jpg

Dnu3NiEWwAEnVrk.jpg

• Advertisement

McDermotX wrote: »
    Dnu3M3BW4AEqkLs.jpg

The second picture on the background looks like the clown masks they used for the openong of the dark knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Those pics look very Dark Knightesque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

This is great.... I thought we'd be lucky to get an end scene with him in make up. Delighted Phoenix was willing to embrace the character this much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

fritzelly wrote: »
    Those pics look very Dark Knightesque

My head cannon says this is already an origin story of Ledgers Joker.

Does look very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Really looking forward to this. Phoenix will put everything in to it as he does all his roles, and I think it could potentially be something really interesting. Definitely one of the best actors alive imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Corholio wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this. Phoenix will put everything in to it as he does all his roles, and I think it could potentially be something really interesting. Definitely one of the best actors alive imo.
    I agree he is brilliant ,
    But with the Joker it could possible be to early , Ledger performance was amazing people saying he only got credit cause he died are stupid, He played Joker amazingly, it was perfect he was deranged and manic and had no reasoning with , He got the character of the joker perfect

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't doubt Phoenix will bring some essence of malevolent eccentricity to the role, but the real needle to thread here will be what the narrative is going for. If they overplay the idea of 'sympathetic' joker, turned to evil by circumstance or fate, it would do the character a disservice. But then Joker also only works with Batman as the conceptual, emotional foil - without the latter it's hard to see what other angle you take.

But with the Joker it could possible be to early , Ledger performance was amazing people saying he only got credit cause he died are stupid, He played Joker amazingly, it was perfect he was deranged and manic and had no reasoning with , He got the character of the joker perfect

Agreed, i mean ledger died well after the movie was rekeased. I remember leaving the cinema thinking what a ****ing performance that was by him. He was still alive then, him dying had no reference on what i had seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

I would hope this movie would be Taxi Driver like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

AidoEirE wrote: »
    Agreed, i mean ledger died well after the movie was rekeased. I remember leaving the cinema thinking what a ****ing performance that was by him. He was still alive then, him dying had no reference on what i had seen.

Movie was released in July and Ledger died the January before if I'm not mistaken?

Edit;

"Ledger died on January 22, 2008, some months after the completed filming and six months before the film's release from a toxic combination of prescription drugs, leading to intense attention from the press and movie-going public."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Heath Ledger, died 22 January 2008
    The Dark Knight, released July 25, 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Heath Ledger, died 22 January 2008
    The Dark Knight, released July 25, 2008
    Your correct he died before the release, I for one still think he was amazing and as perfect as someone could play the joker,

Check out on YouTube Tom wails interview its supposedly what inspired Ledger on the voice to use,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

What the name change ? Doesn't make any sense unless they're trying to say that Jack Napier isn't the first "Joker" !!

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Movie was released in July and Ledger died the January before if I'm not mistaken?

Edit;

"Ledger died on January 22, 2008, some months after the completed filming and six months before the film's release from a toxic combination of prescription drugs, leading to intense attention from the press and movie-going public."

Had a feeling it would of been something like that, should of done a quick google there myself befotre posting.

Still though, it hadn't affected me about the performance he did. I've yet to see a 'bad guy' performance such as ledgers in a superhero film that is on par. It deserves plaudits not because he died or what not, but because it was genuinely brilliant.

I think Pheonix could pull off a stomper of a movie here. Really curious on how they'll portray the joker.

With affleck leaving the batman gig, could be a way to introduce someone else into the role, like an end scene credit kinda thing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

With affleck leaving the batman gig, could be a way to introduce someone else into the role, like an end scene credit kinda thing

The vibe im getting with this is that it will be stand alone and not connected to any other movie. I can't see an actor like Phoenix reprising the role, especially in the current justice league train wreck universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Oh my word. The photos are terrific. Who will dare say it now that Joaquin Phoenix definitely does not look the part for this movie? I have no doubts now that Joaquin Phoenix will do brilliantly here if he pulls off the role of playing the Joker. I cannot f*cking wait for this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

D3V!L wrote: »
    What the name change ? Doesn't make any sense unless they're trying to say that Jack Napier isn't the first "Joker" !!

I don't think The Joker ever really had a name? Jack Napier originated in the Tim Burton film. Might have been used again since, but it's not his one true name. As far as I know.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Joker also only works with Batman as the conceptual, emotional foil - without the latter it's hard to see what other angle you take.

Agreed with this. Interesting images so far and I'm looking forward to seeing Phoenix play the part, but I can't imagine a Joker without a Batman. What would be the point?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Goodshape wrote: »
    I don't think The Joker ever really had a name? Jack Napier originated in the Tim Burton film. Might have been used again since, but it's not his one true name. As far as I know.

Agreed with this. Interesting images so far and I'm looking forward to seeing Phoenix play the part, but I can't imagine a Joker without a Batman. What would be the point?

Yup, I mean they could go for some anarchist-anti-hero angle, but again that's not really The Joker as we know him. Maybe, applying a Devil's Advocate argument, it could be that if this is all somewhat an 'Elseworlds' style production, then allowing a reframing of the Joker into a 'chaotic good, ish' kind of character.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,808 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Zazie Beetz will play
    Sophie Dumond, a single mother struggling to make ends meet in Gotham City

https://www.thewrap.com/todd-phillips-zazie-beetz-joker/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'll just leave this here

ra4x91z6vjo11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Todd Philips is sharing too much. Maybe it'll quench some hype or else put it into overdrive. Either way, I think he's oversharing. I don't trust him as a director to do justice to a Joker movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Philips said himself he's little choice really given the amount of paps around the set. That's why the first look released last Friday was a genius move as he knew Phoenix would be filmed in full make up the very next day.

Yeah; any geek centric film with location shooting is going to get snapped by passers by, so necessitates releasing promo stuff ASAP. In this case it has been a good idea cos it definitely feels like there's a growing sense of goodwill towards the production.

Just on the subject of preempting set-photos, you also gotta factor in videos too; as this one demonstrates, there's still some semblance of secrecy attempted, as the crew smuggle Phoenix back into a blacked-out building. The glamour of Hollywood!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The only thing I'd say about "overratedness" is that the Dark Night as a film is probably overrated as a film because of how good Ledger is in it. The bits without him are mostly so-so, and I don't think the ending, after Rachel's death, does it justice.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't doubt Phoenix will bring some essence of malevolent eccentricity to the role, but the real needle to thread here will be what the narrative is going for. If they overplay the idea of 'sympathetic' joker, turned to evil by circumstance or fate, it would do the character a disservice. But then Joker also only works with Batman as the conceptual, emotional foil - without the latter it's hard to see what other angle you take.

I was thinking something like the Silence of the Lambs in terms of the dynamic where he's not quite the "bad guy", despite being a monster, and he's definitely not the protagonist. A relatively straight character, like a cop or a lawyer, who's either trying to catch him, or they're both involved with a third party who's the primary antagonist, and the joker has the range to both feel sympathetic but then pull the rug from under you.

Advertisement