Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-10-2018, 15:17   #61
kevinandrew

It’s unacceptable for any airline crew to have to sleep on the floor of a crew room overnight, I understand there were extreme circumstances but it really isn’t an excuse. It’s just another example of bad management which stems from the general attitude Ryanair has towards its staff. It’s even worse if these crew members were expected to work the next day.

As for the photo itself, I have no doubt it was somewhat staged to make a point but that doesn’t take away from the fact they had to stay there.

Clearly there are some very unhappy people working at Ryanair right now.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-10-2018, 15:36   #62
rivegauche

Statement from Ryanair said they weren't working the next day.
Malaga appeared to be the nearest base/location "convenient".

Another round of AGB would be helpful at this stage including simple things like coding the website to tell people that seat 11A might not have a window, a dyson type battery vacuumn cleaner to hoover up crisps from the floor. a quick look over facebook and twitter could tell them where they are failing on things which are within their control.
15-10-2018, 19:26   #63
Jack1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinandrew View Post
It’s unacceptable for any airline crew to have to sleep on the floor of a crew room overnight, I understand there were extreme circumstances but it really isn’t an excuse. It’s just another example of bad management which stems from the general attitude Ryanair has towards its staff. It’s even worse if these crew members were expected to work the next day.

As for the photo itself, I have no doubt it was somewhat staged to make a point but that doesn’t take away from the fact they had to stay there.

Clearly there are some very unhappy people working at Ryanair right now.
I think you are spot on!
15-10-2018, 21:55   #64
Bob24

I actually think that regardless of circumstances, that picture is hurting Ryanair.

- First it comforts their image of a company which doesn’t care for its employees (and again, any attempt to justify this is likely an excuse for simply not having done enough to sort them out, I absolutely don’t believe there was no way to accommodate them).
- Second it will get some people to question their safety practices if they left their crew sleep on a hard floor which probably didn’t leave them very fresh the next morning (I understand that crew might now have been flying the next day, but this is too hard to verify and will be ignored by most people who see the picture.
(2) thanks from:
16-10-2018, 17:07   #65
Mebuntu

Irish Examiner apologises to Ryanair in court

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...es-876128.html
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 14:59   #66
GBX

Ryanair exposes fake photo of cabin crew sleeping in crew room. Watch video here:

https://twitter.com/Ryanair/status/1052559295718539264
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2018, 15:10   #67
Bob24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Ryanair exposes fake photo of cabin crew sleeping in crew room. Watch video here:
Looking at the picture it was obvious it was somehow staged (as some people on this thread had already suggested). It was probably childish, borderline dishonest, and amateur communication on the part of the crew but on the other hand to be fair it got their point accross as we are now talking about what happened whereas it would probably otherwise have been ignored.

Going passed this tangent the question remains: was the crew indeed asked to sleep in that office (rhe answer seems to be yes) and why? (no convincing justification has been provided)

And I’d now add another question: is it legal in there (or ethical) to have cctv in your staff room *and release the recording to the public without consent of the people who appear on it*? I am not sure what the answer is but between GDPR and various labour/privacy laws it might be open to challenge.

So not sure Ryanair is making itself a favour with releasing this, both in terms of public image and legal consequences (and while some people support them the feedback on their tweet is not exactly overwhelmingly positive).

Last edited by Bob24; 17-10-2018 at 15:23.
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2018, 15:24   #68
rivegauche

On the point of staging the photo I saw a tweet containing a screenshot of a promoted tweet with the text "promoted tweet" encircled; the person was making the point that the tweet in which the picture was staged was promoted.
People pay to promote tweets. People must be motivated in order to pay to promote tweets.
I can't find the tweet at the moment amongst the thousands of other tweets and retweets which include this picture. I think it has been deleted now that it has served its purpose.
17-10-2018, 15:25   #69
GBX

Legality of the CCTV - who knows. But id imagine if its not in a toilet its fair game. Id *guess* they consulted their legal team first before doing so. But it doesn't look well either way.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
17-10-2018, 15:25   #70
IngazZagni

Of course it was staged but that doesn't change the fact that they were forced to stay the night in a room that seems to be lacking a lot of furniture.
Full hotels doesn't cut it. There are ~1500 hotels/guest houses within a 20 mile radius of Malaga Airport and occupancy rates in October are around 50%.

This just highlights the fact that Ryanair continue to have an unhealthy relationship with its staff. That or they are clearly not resourced enough to cope in these situations.
(4) thanks from:
17-10-2018, 15:32   #71
Bob24

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBX View Post
Legality of the CCTV - who knows. But id imagine if its not in a toilet its fair game. Id *guess* they consulted their legal team first before doing so. But it doesn't look well either way.
I would assume they checked with their legal
team as well, but still it doesn’t feel right to me.

Again I have no legal qualification and it is just my personal understanding, but a video recording showing someone who can potentially be personally identified at their workplace seems like it definitly matches the GDPR definition of personal data of employees to me, which an employer has a duty to protect.
Thanks from:
17-10-2018, 16:11   #72
Bob24

The top 4 currently most popular replies on the tweet (I picked 4 as this is as much as I can fit on my phone’s display, no other reason :-)):

Actually summarises the aspects we covered.

Last edited by Bob24; 17-10-2018 at 16:18.
Thanks from:
17-10-2018, 20:23   #73
kevinandrew

That tweet from Ryanair just further exposes the contempt Ryanair has for its staff. It was pretty obvious the photo was staged to prove a point but that point still stands, these individuals were expected to remain in an airport overnight by their employers. That is unacceptable. 

The vindictive nature of management will do nothing to ease the toxicity within the company.
(4) thanks from:
17-10-2018, 20:45   #74
rivegauche

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinandrew View Post
That tweet from Ryanair just further exposes the contempt Ryanair has for its staff. It was pretty obvious the photo was staged to prove a point but that point still stands, these individuals were expected to remain in an airport overnight by their employers. That is unacceptable. 

The vindictive nature of management will do nothing to ease the toxicity within the company.
Do you think the average person seeing that video clip would agree with you or rather would they see a group of employees intentionally trying to damage the business of their employer?
17-10-2018, 20:50   #75
Nijmegen

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivegauche View Post
Do you think the average person seeing that video clip would agree with you or rather would they see a group of employees intentionally trying to damage the business of their employer?
I think in this scenario, they're being asked to sleep in inadequate accommodation and that's the basic underlying problem. Staging the photo doesn't look good for them; but neither does having them there in the first place.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion