Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

YouTube golf

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I don't think that anyone should really be taking their golf instruction from a random YouTube pro though. Whatever about watching the videos because you enjoy them, or trying out a drill that you think might work for you, or be fun to do, it should all be taken with a pinch of salt.

Realistically, you'll only get a meaningful lesson plan by working direct with a pro (even an online pro) & getting tailored instruction

Your not wrong, a good pro is the way to go ultimately, personally I want to know my own swing so when it goes wrong I can fix it.
    I just found a lot of the pros I have gone to fix your swing through blowing smoke your ass giving you a confidence boost. A lot seem as if they are reading the same PGA manual.
    Now I'm not saying they can't fix your swing they can but I want to be the master of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm quite enjoying Tubes mostly golf focused channel of late. Helps if you're into football/watch soccer am as most of his guests are footballers but he's done a couple with pro golfers Matt Fitzpatrick and Beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭idle

I don't think that anyone should really be taking their golf instruction from a random YouTube pro though. Whatever about watching the videos because you enjoy them, or trying out a drill that you think might work for you, or be fun to do, it should all be taken with a pinch of salt.

Realistically, you'll only get a meaningful lesson plan by working direct with a pro (even an online pro) & getting tailored instruction

Not sure I agree completely with this. My game had deteriorated lately and after only a few hours of YouTube videos I can see a huge improvement on how I’m striking it both off the tee and with my irons. Basically just correcting my over the top path.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

idle wrote: »
    Not sure I agree completely with this. My game had deteriorated lately and after only a few hours of YouTube videos I can see a huge improvement on how I’m striking it both off the tee and with my irons. Basically just correcting my over the top path.

Sure, I'm not saying that no-one will improve by using something they saw on Youtube, a percentage of people will hit on something that works for them, but my point is more that going to a pro directly would have likely had a much higher probability of arriving at the correct assessment as they'll be looking at your swing directly

• Registered Users Posts: 20,742 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Watched this today. A day to watch you tube golf. (Tourist Sauce)

Incredible stuff. What an advert for Ireland. Actually makes you very proud of our people, our place our golf.

If truth be known , I've kind of done something similar myself over about 10 years.

But these dudes get it for free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Watched this today. A day to watch you tube golf. (Tourist Sauce)

Incredible stuff. What an advert for Ireland. Actually makes you very proud of our people, our place our golf.

If truth be known , I've kind of done something similar myself over about 10 years.

But these dudes get it for free.
    90% of their videos are quality, I've been binging on the Strapped ( as much golf for small money) videos after the Scotland and California ones.

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    90% of their videos are quality, I've been binging on the Strapped ( as much golf for small money) videos after the Scotland and California ones.

Yes dan - thanks.

Haven't watched any You Tube golf stuff in years and now watching some of their stuff.

It is like they have stolen a few ideas and added a bit of Anthony Bourdain (parts unknown) - not as intellectual or adventurous, but still similar idea.

I like it.

The two guys , have a nice way about them. And ultimately are putting forward the idea, golf is for all and not just about the big private golf clubs.

Touched something in me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He only has 1k subs but Stuart Smith The Short Game Channel has some decent stuff for home at minute.

Really enjoyed Padraig tips online during past few weeks too

https://ifiplayer.ie/golf-in-ireland/

Not youtube but a look at a few Irish courses in the 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

These two are a bit mental but would make you very jealous with their 9 hole par 3 course in their back garden.
    They basically have 1 green and a lake and have put in 9 tee areas around the far side of the lake.

They recently went mad and added a bunker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 rossyd2005

GreeBo wrote: »

These two are a bit mental but would make you very jealous with their 9 hole par 3 course in their back garden.
    They basically have 1 green and a lake and have put in 9 tee areas around the far side of the lake.

I watched that,was decent.
    Anybody got any recommendations for channels with lads playing matches and challenges etc. Like Rick Shiels sort of vibe. I watch Peter finch already and barstool guys so any others appreciated.

GM golf

Look for the matches where it's taken a bit more serious. Outside of those I find them a little hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I really like the Golf Sidekick channel. He's a funny South African guy who lives in Thailand, he does a lot of course vlogs and concentrates a lot on the mental side of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaeGjmOiTxekbGUDPKhoU-A

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I really like the Golf Sidekick channel. He's a funny South African guy who lives in Thailand, he does a lot of course vlogs and concentrates a lot on the mental side of the game.

Yeah, hes good alright.

If you're looking for some moderately entertaining, very poor golfing standard matches, then you could try out

Bad Golf (one of them is an english standup, or one of those panel show guys) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrEkTg1razLTBO42AgJsz_w

Bogey Brothers (Bogey Smalls and 2-Putt Shakur) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfX3ylI1QbUa8F9kCoxnGzA

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    GM golf

Look for the matches where it's taken a bit more serious. Outside of those I find them a little hard to watch.

Yeah, entertaining but some of them can be very hard to watch without cringing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

I have found Clay Ballard gives some great tips on driving.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=ZiTTHzsgbgs

Mark Crossfield is good fun and I find cuts through a lot of the ****.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=BQHHwF5wwDU

Of the smaller channels found Tyler McGhie be decent

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJMmbVXIqRvgjrVIFZJXfGw/videos

Like Mr Short Game too although he bigger sub base now

https://m.youtube.com/user/thegolfmatt

And SAS golf is doing good few tips on buying stuff online even if mostly British sites. Still found it helpful.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCsMsN-VvldYGveWZPAWvnsA

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Watched this one this morning and really enjoyed it. Have went and watched a few of there older videos since.
    Great content and what an absolute dream that would be to have on your doorstep. I'd say alot of work goes in to maintaining mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Yeah, entertaining but some of them can be very hard to watch without cringing

Like a BBooowwwsss!!! shudder

Watched this one this morning and really enjoyed it. Have went and watched a few of there older videos since.
    Great content and what an absolute dream that would be to have on your doorstep. I'd say alot of work goes in to maintaining mind you.

Yeah, they have a few videos on what they do to maintain it alright. They have a fair amount of gear. The son seems to be a pretty decent player.

I watched one this morning where they were trying to skip the ball across the pond, the natural interaction between father & son is what makes it for me.
    The son in all his gear and then the old man in his saggy jeans and v-neck windcheater top like my dad had 25 years ago :)

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Yeah he has some good stuff, especially when he plays against the local Pro "Mo"

Though some of the videos get a bit lost in the "playa" and "like a baos" stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭blue note

I generally like the YouTube golf stuff. I sometimes stick it on in the background while working, so my YouTube history will show me to have seen it all, but in reality I haven't a clue what most were about.

But golfmates, golf sidekick, rich sheils, mark crossfield and a few others are decent. I liked one particular golf sidekick one where he (had 5 I think) played whatever shot his mate (hc 20 or so) told him to. I suppose he was testing the idea that the higher handicap players lose a lot of their shots through bad decision making. The findings were that they'd basically play the course the same way. The difference in scores is down to execution. Now a 9 hole experiment with two guys isn't exactly conclusive, but it was interesting to see a little test done on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Snackbox20

Afternoon all,
    Anybody like the instructional videos that Padraig Harrington is putting online recently? I would love having his setup in his garden, different sand bunkers, greens, etc.

Snackbox20 wrote: »
    Afternoon all,
    Anybody like the instructional videos that Padraig Harrington is putting online recently? I would love having his setup in his garden, different sand bunkers, greens, etc.

https://twitter.com/padraig_h/status/1252692174099173376?s=21

From there go into his main page and all of them all way down

another one I came across that I cant decide if I liked or hated.

Fore Golf (4 mates) play some impressive courses and players around the US.
    In the one above they play against a *very* casual Kevin Kisner, he comes across as a bit of a dick though :)

He is pretty lethal with the abuse !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

From there go into his main page and all of them all way down

Loving Harrington's videos

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Danny dyers double

Someone mentioned the Golf mates channel on here so I’ve been watching a lot of that the last week.
    OMP is early eighties and I’ve not seen him take a bad shot , might not hit it long but scores bogey or better each hole . They have a great vid up where they play Newlands Golf club with some of the channels viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I see Harrington has set up his YouTube channel, not much on it currently I'm sure he'll add to it over time, definitely worth subscribing to anyway. Going well so far in Bermuda.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

I think I got to the end of Netflix and You Tube golf. But came across this bloke - who is doing a satire about You Tube golf in You Tube.

I actually like satire - and You Tubers are definitely fair game - but something a bit disturbing - or self absorbed in this. It is outrageously Ironic - and great if deliberate - but I think it isn't. I think he is every bit as self absorbed as the topic of satire.

:eek:

I think people are getting very fecked up with covid :D

Sort of stuff he reviews

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrnttoHD78c

Advertisement