Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Minor Tournaments Discussion 2018/19.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Be happy to see M Davis get a win after 27 years on the tour. Interviewed well compared to some of the moaning and groaning out of Ronnie and Higgins this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Joe Johnson is unbearable to listen to. Watching the final on Quest here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,354 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Bingham turning the screw now. 1 up with 2 to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Been a very enjoyable final. That earlier foul on the white by davis was a huge moment. Been very little between them the whole way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Next up on the main tour is the International Championship, from 28th October - 4th November, airing on Eurosport.

However, if you want to see more snooker on TV this week, there is the 2018 UK Seniors Championship, Wednesday 24th Oct - Thursday 25th October. Airing on FreeSports, Sky 422, Virgin 553, Freesat 252.

Jimmy White (defending champion) v Dennis Taylor/Suchakree Poomjang
    Ken Doherty (last year's runner up) v Cliff Thorburn/Rodney Goggins
    Stephen Hendry v John Parrott/Leo Fernandez
    Aaron Canavan v Joe Johnson/Igor Figueiredo

All matches until the final are best-of-5, final is a best-of-7. All matches will be played with a 30-second shot clock, with players having two time-outs per match. Re-spotted black replace final frame deciders. Winner's prize is £10,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Irish going well in the seniors.
    Leo Fernandez beat John Parrott and Stephen Hendry to reach the semi finals.
    I'm guessing the £10K winners cheque would be close to his best return in his career.
    Rodney Goggins beat Cliff Thorburn and plays Ken for a place in other semi-final.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_UK_Seniors_Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Just put it on there. Huge crowd at it! Ken playing some bloke I've never heard of.

Northern Ireland Open starts today on EuroSport and Quest. 128 player tournament, with £70,000/ranking points to the winner. Mark Williams is the defending champion, he plays Alfie Burden in the first round.

Ronnie, who won the Champion of Champions yesterday, plays Iran's Soheil Vahedi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Jeez that Chinese lad will be kicking himself for a long time, Hawking's gave him so many chances to win it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Advertisement

Inviere wrote: »
    What channel is it on?

Quest. 144 on sky

Quest. 144 on sky

Cool, it's on FTA too in HD so happy days. Are they not covering the evening session no?

Inviere wrote: »
    Cool, it's on FTA too in HD so happy days. Are they not covering the evening session no?
    No Quest never covers the evening sessions until the weekend, until then the evening sessions air on EuroSport.

Very frustrating for me as I just have FreeSat.

Very frustrating for me as I just have FreeSat.

Yeah same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Watched the Bingham v Lines game last night on German Eurosport (in a hotel). Terrible game. Lines was 2-1 up when I had to go to bed. It was scrappy, messy and uninspiring.

A real contrast from the great final on Sunday night do fair play to Wilson and o Sullivan for their performances.

I suppose the players can’t be at their peak for every tournament.

Certainly wilson was far from his peak last night losing to lee walker. Seems ridiculous you can be expected to play a final late one night, then play to midnight the next and in a different country (well, landmass at least!) Scheduling with these 128 player rounds is obviously tight but that just seems ridiculous to me.

Certainly wilson was far from his peak last night losing to lee walker. Seems ridiculous you can be expected to play a final late one night, then play to midnight the next and in a different country (well, landmass at least!) Scheduling with these 128 player rounds is obviously tight but that just seems ridiculous to me.

The emotional strength needed to play a final to the last frame must be tough. For every peak there’s a trough. Very hard to expect a player to be switched on again the next day. But it’s not the end of the world. At least he will have a week to recover now.

Good few big names out in the first round. John Higgins, Kyren Wilson, Barry Hawkins, Stuart Bingham, and #1 ranked player for the season, Mark Allen.

Ronnie won his match 4-0, making 3 centuries. Said there was still room for improvement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

Good few big names out in the first round. John Higgins, Kyren Wilson, Barry Hawkins, Stuart Bingham.

Ronnie won his match 4-0, making 3 centuries. Said there was still room for improvement.

Some going trying to beat a 10 second shot time average... he averaged just under 14. Very hard to watch Selby Hamilton after that performance from o Sullivan.

In commentary Foulds described that contest as Premier league against non league and the analogy was spot on. Some of the pots Vahedi missed, as a professional snooker player, were laughable, whether he was overawed or not. O’Sullivan would face tougher tests on the practice table.

• Advertisement

Some going trying to beat a 10 second shot time average... he averaged just under 14. Very hard to watch Selby Hamilton after that performance from o Sullivan.
    That’s an incredible shot average. I find it very hard to watch Selby when there are much more exciting players out there.

Selby’s good, no doubt. But he’s hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Ronnie playing crazy exhibition stuff tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

zuutroy wrote: »
    Ronnie playing crazy exhibition stuff tonight.

Only saw the first frame. Seemed impatient. Mie had his chances

Think Ronnie’s just a bit bored with these non event matches, trying something to liven it up a bit. John Higgins seems depressed recently, MJW said before today’s match he’d prefer to be on the golf course and that’s where he’ll be tomorrow if it takes his fancy.

Think Ronnie’s just a bit bored with these non event matches, trying something to liven it up a bit. John Higgins seems depressed recently, MJW said before today’s match he’d prefer to be on the golf course and that’s where he’ll be tomorrow if it takes his fancy.

Ya, he's been on a bit of a rant all week on Twitter about it, especially winning a tournament Sunday night then having to play a "numpty" on Monday. I kind of knew he would come out aggressive. Great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I know that in Tennis (which also operates under a schedule of Monday to Sunday tournament followed by another Monday to Sunday tournament) they have some sort of flexible bye system where finalists in the first tournament get to skip the first round in the second tournament. That the actual players involved obviously aren't known until quite late doesn't affect it.
    I'm not sure of the exact mechanism (must be some sort of draw rejigging) but I'm sure something similar could be done in snooker.

I know that in Tennis (which also operates under a schedule of Monday to Sunday tournament followed by another Monday to Sunday tournament) they have some sort of flexible bye system where finalists in the first tournament get to skip the first round in the second tournament. That the actual players involved obviously aren't known until quite late doesn't affect it.
    I'm not sure of the exact mechanism (must be some sort of draw rejigging) but I'm sure something similar could be done in snooker.

They could do something for sure. They could have ensured, for example, that nobody playing in the champion of champions was scheduled to play on the first day this week. That’d have sorted the issue but I guess that just didn’t occur to people.

Don’t know about other sports but schedule is critical to players in snooker because so many of them are budgeting for the cheapest flights, hotel deals etc. Guys particularly lower down the rankings mightn’t be that enthusiastic about sudden tweaks to accommodate those more likely to go deep in tournaments. That said, what happened to Kyren just isn’t acceptable in my book though, as someone said above, losing here might not be the worst thing for him in the long run.

Thursday. The day of these "Home Nations" events, where we start the day with 32 players, but by the end of today, we'll have the 8 quarter-finalists.

Top half of draw:

Ali Carter/Xiao Guodong v Joe Swail/Eden Sharav
    Li Hang/Neil Robertson v Mark Davis/Peter Ebdon
    Judd Trump/Jack Lisowski v Luca Brecel/Gary Wilson
    Robin Hull/Ryan Day v Andrew Higginson/Billy Joe Castle

Bottom half of draw:

Ronnie O'Sullivan/Tom Ford v Michael Holt/Zhou Yuelong
    Lu Ning/Hammad Miah v Matthew Stevens/David Gilbert
    Chris Totten/Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Robbie Williams/Sanderson Lam
    Scott Donaldson/Martin O'Donnell v Hamza Akbar/Mark Selby

From what I've seen Ronnie and Selby have been playing the best, and could very well meet in the semis, and go on the win the tournament. But that top half, try picking a finalist from that. Robertson? Trump? I'd like Lisowski to beat Trump, and come through to the final. He's been having a great season so far. He's ranked #17, and is trying to get some results to get into the Top 16 in time for the Masters.

The third meeting between Trump and Lisowski in less than a month. Should in theory be a mouth watering contest but they’ve generally produced poor matches for whatever reason. As friends and practice partners they’ve both spoken about how hard it is to play against each other which isn’t something you’d expect to hear from a Ronnie O’Sullivan or John Higgins.

Anyway hope this one measures up. Lisowski has made sharp progress this season but was lucky enough to survive against Liam Highfield last night. Trump looks in mean shape this week, not sure why he wants to engage in verbals with KyrenWilson, but if it helps him focus then all is good. He’s my pick this week, but I have been wrong before!

• Advertisement

Neil Robertson and Jack Lisowski out. 32 down to 16...

Top half of draw:

Ali Carter v Eden Sharav
    Li Hang v Peter Ebdon
    Judd Trump v Luca Brecel
    Ryan Day v Andrew Higginson

Bottom half of draw:

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Zhou Yuelong
    Lu Ning v David Gilbert
    Thepchaiya Un-Nooh v Robbie Williams
    Martin O'Donnell v Mark Selby

Advertisement