Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Just a heads up regarding the NFL network. It's now on TuneIn free and I'm listening to it now and watching the tv feed of the network and it sounds good.

My point is I know some here have cancelled gamepass for this season and so this is a way to still here it if not see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Wait, I just got round to reading about it and my above post is off the ball, as is oat's:

"The Bears still want to be able to void future guarantees if Smith is suspended for something that happens on the field beyond the confines of a play — a late hit, a fight, physicality that occurs while a player is defending himself against an attack by an opponent, inadvertent contact with an official, or anything else that could prompt the league office to impose a suspension that is later upheld on appeal."

That isn't the same as wanting to be able to go without punishment for stupid actions off the field, of the type we are all used to. But it does seem an odd thing to argue about: do you have plans to hit refs and get in fights? Weird one. Apparently four teams already allow players to keep guarantees for these kinds of incidents and the other 28 (rightly imo) reserve the right to use this as punishment when someone does things that are idiotic.
    What if a player is arrested for something, but charges are dropped, does the team have the right to take his money since the law didn't punish him?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What if a player is arrested for something, but charges are dropped, does the team have the right to take his money since the law didn't punish him?

A question for Ezekiel Elliott.

Just because the law didn't punish him, you can be sure the league might do something about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Anyone staying up to watch the crazy overreactions one way or another to Lamar Jackson tonight? :pac:

• Advertisement

A question for Ezekiel Elliott.
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just because the law didn't punish him, you can be sure the league might do something about it.

This is my point though. Year two he's out with an ACL, gets arrested, no charges filed, team voids guaranteed money in a way to save money not knowing how he'll be when he comes back

This is my point though. Year two he's out with an ACL, gets arrested, no charges filed, team voids guaranteed money in a way to save money not knowing how he'll be when he comes back

Yeah but are you asking if the team is allowed to do this, or whether it's right that they should be allowed to do it?

Yeah but are you asking if the team is allowed to do this, or whether it's right that they should be allowed to do it?

Sorry I'm saying if I was a player is hold the **** out until I got guaranteed. There should be a rule that contracts should be 75%guaranteed at least then people will know if they break there neck game one exactly how much they'd have

Paully D wrote: »

Doesn't he know you tackle by taking the tag off the hips??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

While that one is harsh, it's preseason for the refs too.

I do think a change has to be made in the game, and it will take time to get it right. Lessons need to be learned from rugby, and how tackling is done there, although it's definitely more difficult to tackle somebody who's stacked in pads and a helmet than it is without.

Perhaps that's the future. Strip back the pads and helmet, alter the rules even more to only allow rugby style tackling, and go from there. Taking helmets away from the linemen would be tough though. They do get slapped across the ceann about 40 times a game...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,026 ✭✭✭Guffy

Knex. wrote: »
    While that one is harsh, it's preseason for the refs too.

I do think a change has to be made in the game, and it will take time to get it right. Lessons need to be learned from rugby, and how tackling is done there, although it's definitely more difficult to tackle somebody who's stacked in pads and a helmet than it is without.

Perhaps that's the future. Strip back the pads and helmet, alter the rules even more to only allow rugby style tackling, and go from there. Taking helmets away from the linemen would be tough though. They do get slapped across the ceann about 40 times a game...

At what point do you say the players know the risks involved in playing? At what point does a player take ownership of their decisions? A player knows that they risk paralysis if they tackle with the crown of the head, yet you still see it happen. At what point do you say, "ok, that one is on you"?

I'm not ashamed to say my allergies hit me watching Brian Dawkins get his own gold Jacket tonight.The other was Jerry Kramer who shouldn't have had to wait anywhere near this long.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Titans sign Kenny vaccaro, Reid had to reschedule his visit, was supposed to be today. Guess the Titans didn't want to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

Training camp tip for Offensive Rookie of the Year -

Courtland Sutton - WR - Denver Broncos.

The guy is catching everything thrown his way against a very good defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Denver Broncos fan picking Denver Broncos player for RoY award shocker....!!!!

Based on 2 weeks of training camp. Seriously??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

It'll be hard to win anything as a WR with Case Keenum underthrowing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭nerd69

Denver Broncos fan picking Denver Broncos player for RoY award shocker....!!!!

Based on 2 weeks of training camp. Seriously??

I mean he's consistent with this kind of stUff every year so I guess he's gona be right eventually

nerd69 wrote: »
    I mean he's consistent with this kind of stUff every year so I guess he's gona be right eventually

Don't think that I ever touted an offensive rookie from the Broncos before - and here is another tip - 7 days into Training Camp -

Defensive Rookie of the Year - Bradley Chubb - OLB - Denver Broncos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭tripperman

Wait till you see him in pre season action against a live defense, team's in practice are working on there weakness not there strengths, so easy for anyone to look good,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Michael Gallup - WR - Dallas Cowboys

The guy is catching everything thrown his way against a rapidly improving defence.

Am I doing it right

• Registered Users Posts: 10,980 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Even if this isn't part of your annual hyperbolic pre season Broncos talk, it'll be pretty difficult for any rookie WR to get a Offensive Rookie of the Year title while trying to get targets behind two veterans like Thomas and Sanders. Even if he is good he'll be overshadowed by a rookie in a better situation, most likely a QB or RB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭nerd69

Don't think that I ever touted an offensive rookie from the Broncos before - and here is another tip - 7 days into Training Camp -

Defensive Rookie of the Year - Bradley Chubb - OLB - Denver Broncos.

It's broncos will be the best at this it that every year or they will be better dumping Payton Manning after the Super Bowl loss broncos are a good team but if you keep overhyping them constantly its fairly tough to take anything seriously

Ray Lewis talking at the hall of fame induction would give you a case of ire on your bollocks.

Ray Lewis talking at the hall of fame induction would give you a case of ire on your bollocks.

Just the 33 minutes for the speech.

I was waiting for the Father Ted “and now we move on to liars” moment! :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Haven't seen any of his speech ,but I've a good what it's like cos of this tweet.

https://twitter.com/colin_dunlap/status/1025926041175552007

brinty wrote: »
    Am I doing it right

You got it ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmGFzJmBJWU/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=aky2rz4dc595

I've to watch the parts of the HOF I didn't see. I didn't and won't watch ray Lewis speech but I've seen he had a mic that meant he could move around and he's probably do a preacher gig. I liked the randy moss speech and TO did his from Tennessee which they showed some of it seems. Jerry Kramer was brilliant. That man is a legend. I didn't hear Brian Dawkins speech but I get the impression it was superb.

Rumours coming out of Denver that the Broncos and Jets are discussing swapping Paxton Lynch for Teddy Bridgewater.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Rumours coming out of Denver that the Broncos and Jets are discussing swapping Paxton Lynch for Teddy Bridgewater.

2018 MVP Teddy Bridgewater?

Advertisement