Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How hard is it to get the rolex you want

• 17-07-2018 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi All,

I've a birthday of significance coming up in 18 months and have decided to treat myself with a rolex, I had decided on the new air king but as the work bonus went well I can go for a GMT. Had resigned myself (if you can call it that) to the blue one as Pepsi was only in white gold but see now that they have a steel version with a jubilee strap. They seem to be selling for mad money 20k on chrono 24 etc. and none if the irish jewllers can shed any light, so what my best bet at getting one from a retailer at close to RRP? I'm in Switzerland 2/3 times a year for work so is that an option......

B

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,659 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Bren_C wrote: »
    Hi All,

I've a birthday of significance coming up in 18 months and have decided to treat myself with a rolex, I had decided on the new air king but as the work bonus went well I can go for a GMT. Had resigned myself (if you can call it that) to the blue one as Pepsi was only in white gold but see now that they have a steel version with a jubilee strap. They seem to be selling for mad money 20k on chrono 24 etc. and none if the irish jewllers can shed any light, so what my best bet at getting one from a retailer at close to RRP? I'm in Switzerland 2/3 times a year for work so is that an option......

B

you will be lucky to get a batman at retail and you wont get a pepsi i wouldnt have thought, not in 18 months anyway.

standard black bezelled version should be easier or if you hunt around you should be able to get a BLNR (black and blue).

watch prices have gone mad, i saw a new PP 5711 Nautilus on watchfinder yesterday, std model, for £46k :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭893bet

It’s sickening to be honest. And frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I want a SS Daytona.....7 year waiting list,

I want a SS Daytona.....7 year waiting list,

the really annoying thing is that they get these things in and they dont always go on the list,

for example i was in boodles one day and enquired about a PP Aquanaut and Nautilius, they had both but wouldnt sell me either unless i bought some jewellery :pac:

I have heard that some AD want you to buy a date just along with any of the SS Sports that are in demand. AD's dont get a choice of the stock they are given and need to get it all sold (or on the the grey market)...personally I think buying new is foolish for Rolex

• Advertisement

I have heard that some AD want you to buy a date just along with any of the SS Sports that are in demand. AD's dont get a choice of the stock they are given and need to get it all sold (or on the the grey market)...personally I think buying new is foolish for Rolex

New for Rolex is probably the only brand that makes sense as the residuals are so strong.

I am officially peed off with it all. Was on a list for a while for something a bit nice, a 5167. Was phoned to go view one they had in stock that was spoken for....which really got my hopes up that I was in the running.......tried to sell me a few limited edition omegas then etc. I said no I would wait. Got talking today to the watch manger in store again and he basically said forget about it. Demand is unbelievable and the next one is going to a customer who bought 4 PP’s last year. That’s what your up against if you want one a 5167 at retail. High demand Rolex’s the same.

First world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

The boom is well and truly back :D

Homer wrote: »
    The boom is well and truly back :D

Aye! Forget a q to buy houses of the plans! You literally can’t q to buy certain watches!

The only way you can buy this house in d4 is if you buy these 5 houses........in a ghost estate in Sligo is the equilivent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Is it primarily these so called batman / Pepsi / hulk versions that are highly sought after?

If I bought a rolex I wouldn't be planning to sell it to be honest, but would like the idea that it would hold its value. Would the date just / air king / gmt 2 (getting expensive now) not hold their value as well?

Also is this current situation a phase or trend? With changing tastes etc, is it likely that these hulk /Pepsi etc will still be very desirable in say 20 years?

Is it to do with rolex holding back supply of these models?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

893bet wrote: »
    Aye! Forget a q to buy houses of the plans! You literally can’t q to buy certain watches!

The only way you can buy this house in d4 is if you buy these 5 houses........in a ghost estate in Sligo is the equilivent.

Pity you can't get homage houses of virtually indistinguishable quality for 10% of the price :)

fat bloke wrote: »
    Pity you can't get homage houses of virtually indistinguishable quality for 10% of the price :)

Problem is you dont want a homage house, you want the real one. The reason you get the homage is because you dont want to spend the money.

Problem is you dont want a homage house, you want the real one. The reason you get the homage is because you dont want to spend the money.

Or don't have it. :)

Personally I don't think my nerves would cope with a four figure and appreciating asset on my wrist. I couldn't bring myself to wear it, and I couldn't abide having it at home in a box either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Would you not consider a 'first purchase' and buy something like a Rolex Submariner?

I had to 'settle' with a particular Breitling and I love the feel of it now. Still have my eye on a Navitimer but not in the budget for now.

How much is a sub?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

fat bloke wrote: »
    How much is a sub?

Chrono 24 says starting at 6k. But depends on the type of dealer. Grey or AD. Online or in a shop.

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Four figure ?? More like five fugure the way prices are going
    New release Pepsi is going for 20k

I don’t think the current trajectory can continue at this pace. But I don’t see the bubble bursting either.

I am/was desperate for a 5167. In my head I am saying pay 30% over list as PP will tack a price rise on in the next year either way which will level it.

I don’t think the current trajectory can continue at this pace. But I don’t see the bubble bursting either.

I am/was desperate for a 5167. In my head I am saying pay 30% over list as PP will tack a price rise on in the next year either way which will level it.

Thats some wonderful man maths, :p

Thats some wonderful man maths, :p

It’s true though! You could get a 5167 for 14k gbp 12 months ago (just a tad above list price).
    You won’t get one for less than 17 k gbp now on a private sale. Even that might be a stretch with WF selling for 21k +.

Can see a price rise on the 5167 this year similar to how the 5711 was hit last year as grey prices were so far ahead of list. Prices self ADs were raised 20%. I think greys surged even more then for second hand.

It’s true though! You could get a 5167 for 14k gbp 12 months ago (just a tad above list price).
    You won’t get one for less than 17 k gbp now on a private sale. Even that might be a stretch with WF selling for 21k +.

Can see a price rise on the 5167 this year similar to how the 5711 was hit last year as grey prices were so far ahead of list. Prices self ADs were raised 20%. I think greys surged even more then for second hand.

Jesus, your right you should get two. Buy tulip bulbs while your at it....:D:D

Seriously though, non precious metal watches are a collectors market driven by low interest rates. The 5711 is a beautiful piece, but when your spending that money on a steel watch your susceptible to changes in fashion and desirability as the watch has little intrinsic value. Remember also that start of 2019 the British are committing economic suicide and the market will be flooded with watches.

• Advertisement

Seriously though, non precious metal watches are a collectors market driven by low interest rates. The 5711 is a beautiful piece, but when your spending that money on a steel watch your susceptible to changes in fashion and desirability as the watch has little intrinsic value. Remember also that start of 2019 the British are committing economic suicide and the market will be flooded with watches.

Time will tell. Hard too see the bottom failing out of the market for the steel Pp or Rolex steel sports. Too much pent up demand worldwide for something as small as brexit to make a difference.

The AD I was trying to buy from basically said they get multiple calls every week from al across the world with buyers hoping to get lucky. As long as supply is kept low....

Fundamentals are sound, the market will regulate itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Yes, the price of Rolex's is going to keep going up and up and up for ever and ever and ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory

hi5 wrote: »
    Yes, the price of Rolex's is going to keep going up and up and up for ever and ever and ever.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory

When have they every dropped?

If you graph the last 50 years for Rolex they have only gone one way, albeit the trajectory has gone crazy the last 2 years. Difficult to see that being maintained. But also difficult to see them suddenly dropping 50 percent like real estate one of the examples in the link as Rolex will manage supply acccordingly.

The examples in the link all had crashes and recoveries. Maybe Rolex are due a crash....

Interesting reading below.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.ablogtowatch.com/rolex-prices-past-60-years-revealing-analysis/amp/?source=images

Who knows. Either way. I want a new watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Why do you think the market will be flooded with watches?
    People looking to free up cash?

THe pound devalues so watches become cheaper, as the pound devalues unemployment rises and people liquidate assets.

Pawn brokers are flooded with rolex. AD's sales decrease as people shift to the second hand market, they shift stock onto the grey market,

People see the prices start to go down and sell off investment pieces in a panic flooding the market with stock. People start buying from the UK seeing the weak pound to the euro so European sellers drop prices to match and retain the business.

Rolex see orders decline so start producing the more desired pieces in great numbers for the sure sale.

The steel rolex is a real watch for the watch guy that has a bit of cash but is not in the haute holology market. THese watches will be susceptible to to general economic conditions, and are very much a disposable income purchase. As an investment, as interest rates rise to battle European inflation investment in watches or classic cars will take less of the investment euro

But thats just my opinion man.........grain of salt.

THe pound devalues so watches become cheaper, as the pound devalues unemployment rises and people liquidate assets.

Pawn brokers are flooded with rolex. AD's sales decrease as people shift to the second hand market, they shift stock onto the grey market,

People see the prices start to go down and sell off investment pieces in a panic flooding the market with stock. People start buying from the UK seeing the weak pound to the euro so European sellers drop prices to match and retain the business.

Rolex see orders decline so start producing the more desired pieces in great numbers for the sure sale.

The steel rolex is a real watch for the watch guy that has a bit of cash but is not in the haute holology market. THese watches will be susceptible to to general economic conditions, and are very much a disposable income purchase. As an investment, as interest rates rise to battle European inflation investment in watches or classic cars will take less of the investment euro

But thats just my opinion man.........grain of salt.

part of the reason steel rolex are so hard to get at the moment is the weak pound, england is one of the cheapest places in the world to buy one in (esp if you arent paying VAT)

Cyrus wrote: »
    part of the reason steel rolex are so hard to get at the moment is the weak pound, england is one of the cheapest places in the world to buy one in (esp if you arent paying VAT)

Certainly a factor fir the shortage locally but for desirable models the shortage is global by the sounds of things.

Certainly a factor but the shortage locally for desirable models is global by the sounds of things.

at rrp it is, but if you go to Japan for example you can walk into any shop you like and buy a ceramic daytona because they can charge what they like for them.

scarcity is certainly more pronounced in the UK than anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

OmegaGene wrote: »
    [IMG][/img]CA7252_D4-_CDD8-4996-8824-2_C9_BD6_A1_DA9_F.jpgimg upload

£8k retail and this is the cheapest I’ve seen a new one for, normally £20k

That's just stupid. Leave them there at that price. It's just daftness. You'd be some pleb to pay 20k when they are 8k new.

Advertisement