Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guess the Village/Town/City Thread 3 (read post 1)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Either that or you're a well travelled sales rep.

With a photographic memory!

This is getting boring.
    If a poster knows the answer, they should just post the answer on thread.
    All this secrets & veils etc is just a pain.
    If you know the answer, post it, then post another pic.

Sorry, I don't mean any offence to anyone. But that's the game right?

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭niley

bubblypop wrote: »
    This is getting boring.

And with that I'm done, it was all just a bit of craic between people on a forum up until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I think the posters who might know the answers are being fair and just giving a chance to the rest of us all so that everyone gets a fair shot.
    It would be worse if the same person just kept getting them right every time imo.
    This way it's more interactive too and the posters saying they guessed it already is only an encouragement to the rest of us to keep searching imo.
    So, please nobody quit!

To thine own self be true

niley wrote: »
    And with that I'm done, it was all just a bit of craic between people on a forum up until now.

It was always a bit of Craic, but if you, or anyone else knows the answer, just post it.
    That's the point if the whole thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The grotto (I think?) looks a bit like the one here 1954 Marian one here, https://www.dochara.com/places-to-visit/churches-holy-places/roadside-shrines-and-grottoes/, but the source gives that as Bruff, and the Bruff grotto doesn't look like that.. Though I am most likely on the wrong track..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

This is getting boring.

By not posting the answer immediately, it gives the rest of us a chance. I've spent many an hour trying to figure it out

Don't leave and never change Niley! I love your posts and cryptic clues, keeps it interesting for the rest of us. Your contributions make this thread what it is

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Be right back

Keep posting, Niley! We have big shoes to fill!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

This is getting boring.

Just ignore Niley, She'll head on back to AH soon enough.

Just ignore Niley, She'll head on back to AH soon enough.

Listen, I have been on this thread for years also & I'm entitled to an opinion.
    I've guessed & posted many times. I have no problem with niley knowing everything, just post the answer already

Anyway, judging by the responses here, I'm in the minority. So forget I said anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Three More Big Sleeps

Sigh :(:(:(

It's St. Mary's Church and National School on the north bank of the Grand Canal in Pollagh, Co. Offaly.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/iZkGuQTQ8oddrEM3A

Ryath wrote: »
    ... unless you lived there most would have little reason to pass through it.

Aye, Ryath, sneakily mostly hidden by the road bridge too.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/ZEXxzWHuwrk3hupu5

514620.jpg

From t'other direction...

514911.jpg

Tenuous, yet clear, clue: Only one global mountain range high enough for you to spot this Munster town.

From t'other direction...

Tenuous, yet clear, clue: Only one global mountain range high enough for you to spot this Munster town.

I can safely say I'm better at finding places than decoding clues, I've a good idea of where that church is but can't for the life of me work out how that clue connects with it :P

... can't for the life of me...

Feck, now I'm second-guessing myself :( *checks* No, all good, clue still stands :)

Non-tenuous clue 2: Co. Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I have looked at every place I can think of in Limerick and can't find it !!

Kilboor wrote: »
    I have looked at every place I can think of in Limerick and can't find it !!

The closest village lies between Mungret and Kildimo on the N69. The church lies just west of due north from that village :)

Happy hunting.

The closest village lies between Mungret and Kildimo on the N69. The church lies just west of due north from that village :)

Happy hunting.

Absolutely kicking myself............. This church came into my head straight away when you mentioned Limerick but I had it in my head the car park was bigger and should be in the screenshots you sent.....

Have parked at Ballybrown Church a good few times to see cars and also to walk to Carrigogunnell Castle :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Nice one, Kilboor! Now TMBS, can you explain the clue ? :D

Nice one, Kilboor! Now TMBS, can you explain the clue ? :D

I did say it was tenuous :) There's an acne (spot) cream - Clarina - made by the company Himalaya.

I did say it was tenuous :) There's an acne (spot) cream - Clarina - made by the company Himalaya.

Ah here :D:D:D

... to walk to Carrigogunnell Castle

Well done, Kilboor, you're up.

(It was actually Carrigogunnell I was originally going with, but I couldn't find a street view, uh, view of it.)

Tenuous doesn't do it justice :D:D:D I'll know for next time though lol.

:P

515024.jpg

Someone somewhere in a house decided to put a county flag right at the back of their garden. No doubt someone else in the household was saying "why put it there? would you not put it out the front where someone might see it?". Whoever put it there was thinking "Oh some day, someone will find that flag useful."

Someone somewhere in a house decided to put a county flag right at the back of their garden. No doubt someone else in the household was saying "why put it there? would you not put it out the front where someone might see it?". Whoever put it there was thinking "Oh some day, someone will find that flag useful."

I didn't realise that flag was so clear :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

I didn't realise that flag was so clear :rolleyes:

I must be going blind - I can't see it on phone or desktop!

Not that I'd know the location either way ;)

• Advertisement

lassykk wrote: »
    I must be going blind...

Field on the right, Lassy, near the trees :)

515031.jpg

Advertisement