Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Glasses online

• 27-06-2018 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭

Is there anywhere you can get prescription glasses online that would be cheaper or have a better selection than Specsavers,
    I just feel surely there is more selection than just specsaver but have never really looked into it

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 pearl787

Bumping this because I have the same question

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

https://www.zennioptical.com/
    https://www.goggles4u.co.uk/

Both cheaper than Specsavers. Wouldn't necessarily have a better selection.
    The big downside is you can't try them on, but the cheap ones are very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

If you buy frames from specsavers for example can you bring them to another place for test and get them to put new lens in? Do specsavers allow that actually?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Glasses2you.co.uk

Sign up and wait for a discount code before buying. Buying for years and never an issue. Though Brexit might end that one for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Sign up and wait for a discount code before buying. Buying for years and never an issue. Though Brexit might end that one for me.

And you bring those frames to have lens put in in ireland? Has any place said to you: Sorry we can't put our lens in those frames because they wouldn't fit properly (or whatever)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

bobbyss wrote: »
    And you bring those frames to have lens put in in ireland? Has any place said to you: Sorry we can't put our lens in those frames because they wouldn't fit properly (or whatever)?

I buy frames and lenses from them. Currently have a 40% code on subscribing. Just upload your prescription

https://www.glasses2you.co.uk/

Just got a pair of varifocal high index for £104

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm in the market for new specs online now. The last pair I got was at a "high street" optician and they were extremely expensive, since I have a high prescription (past -9.00 diopters) and need varifocals. I've been looking online and have found a few options, but none seem great:
    • specs.ie, myglasses.ie - I made a note of these before, but they seem to be dead now
    • buynewspecs.ie, glassesdirect.co.uk - won't take online orders for high prescriptions. (If you have to say "call us", I might as well buy locally.)
    • smartbuyglasses.ie - look OK but reviews are mixed, they go to some lengths to obscure that they're a Chinese supplier.
    • espyandiris.com - might be OK, limited frame selection.
    • selectspecs.com - best of the bunch I've checked so far, slightly more expensive than the others but still far less than I paid last time.
    Does anyone have recent experience buying glasses online?

edit: just placed an order with goggles4u.co.uk as mentioned above: pretty painless, now to see what they deliver.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement