Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Control (Remedy Games) PC, PS4, XB1

Options

Comments

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    With all the nominations this has been getting, I'm tempted to pick it up. Looking up videos, it looks like a generic 3rd person shoot em up with force powers. Is the combat as good as max Payne? Is there exploration, puzzles, etc, or is it mostly room to room combat?

Mostly room to room, but the gunplay with powers is good. Atmosphere and setting/lore are superb. Great sound design as well. It's definitely worth playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Picked it up today in cex, what kind of absolute **** leaves a used dlc code in the box, you **** ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Picked it up today in cex, what kind of absolute **** leaves a used dlc code in the box, you **** ****.

Oh, I do! Not because I'm trying to be a ****, but because I use it and then store it in the box, and completely forget about it when I go to trade... Soz? :D

Oh, I do! Not because I'm trying to be a ****, but because I use it and then store it in the box, and completely forget about it when I go to trade... Soz? :D

You bollox! :pac:

I remember the last game i got there had a code and i was ready to just dump it but said I'd just try redeem it for the laugh and it wasn't used! I'm afraid it's given me false hope.

You bollox! :pac:

I remember the last game i got there had a code and i was ready to just dump it but said I'd just try redeem it for the laugh and it wasn't used! I'm afraid it's given me false hope.

:D:D:D

I think of it like a lottery, you bought something and could win more/get something free, and then the expected deep disappointment when it doesn't work, or the elation celebrated only by yourself if the code does work!

I actually try not to use the codes straight away any more. Most of them (in the games I play) are better starting weapons, but I find they can sometimes ruin the start of a game, so I don't download them straight away.

With AC Odyssey, I had forgotten about them and by the time I did redeem them, the weapons were too under-powered to be useful (before I found out you could upgrade them). Then again, Odyssey allowed you to change the look of anything you can wear/equip without affecting the stats, the way ALL games should do it going forward imo!

• Advertisement

Comparing to my experience of Fallen Order where i was bored fairly early on, Control is right up my alley. The inner monologue, the environment, colours, the weirdness, the collectibles, the mystery and the combat all highly pleasing.

Melee attacking the environment should be not be as fun as it is :). I was in a small office, tried to punch a picture off a wall, turned around and the office looked like a tornado hit it, highly satisfying.

Turned on a radio and got an instant Max Payne vibe. Think I'm gonna enjoy this.

Just beat mission 3 of i think 10 missions so not sure if this is gonna be a short game but I'm loving it. I needed a nice pick up and play game but i get bored of mindless shooters very quickly but the combat is brilliant and the story is very intriguing. Thanks for the recommendations, really glad i picked this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Cool vid with Courtney Hope reprising her role of Jesse to start it.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

I think I am on Mission 7 or so. Shuggling along. Plenty of side stuff to do before the end.

A real solid game. Difficulty can jump randomly now and again. You will be coasting along getting by tossing tables at bad guys and then the game just tossed some real bull""t your way. Still fun. I like a bit of a challenge and normally it just gets me to use some powers I forget I have.

LOVED the story and the tone of the game though. Very much going for the Twin Peaks meets X-Files meets Outer Limits vibes. It gives me "up past midnight watching TV in the 90's" feels.

Yeah, picked this up a couple of days ago and well impressed with it. The people I asked weren't wrong is saying it does have a Second Sight feel to the use of telekinesis. Still early days, only have 2 powers so far, so looking forward to more of it. As solidasarock says, for the most part it's fine and then you get some sections that remind you you're not the god you think you are! The idea/setting is brilliant, and looking forward to finding out more about it.

• Advertisement

I looked up the abilities and surprised to see that only 2 are obtained through the stories and the other 3(?) Can be missed. Dodge has been so useful, especially against bosses, glad i didn't miss that!

On mission 6 i think and found a side mission where the guy was going on about clocks. I remember reading about a fairly difficult mission involving cocks, might come back to that one :)

Any recommendations on the service weapon? Not sure whether to upgrade Grip or unlock the Spinner?

Didn't know you could miss abilities! The dash one is basically thrown in your face, so would be surprised if anyone missed that one. And I take it by your question that resources are finite? I haven't crafted anything except the Spin and upgraded the system to create level 3 mods, but still haven't created any mods, seems like a waste of resources until i'm up near the highest level, as they're dropped quite often. Looks like it will be very interesting to just explore in this at some stage. Nearly went into a place by accident on the Research level, it wasn't until I decided to check the map that I saw it was something called a maze and on the opposite side of where I was supposed to be going, so backed up fairly swiftly before I got lost.

Ah id say you could upgrade everything in a playthrough but it's getting tougher and not sure what the next best upgrade would be. I maxed force push and i love it, wrecking people with the environment is huge fun.

Ha, i have a go at that maze accidentally when a wall closed behind me, thank God it spit me back out. Will definitely come back to it :)

Just found an Alan Wake reference case file. Hopefully the remaster rumours of that are true, would love to play it on ps4, seems like it would be right up my alley.

Finally had to tackle the maze and it is simply the best level of any game I've played all year, just epic!

And now I'm seeing credits.... But i don't quite believe them.

This is 35 in smyths atm, highly recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Finally had to tackle the maze and it is simply the best level of any game I've played all year, just epic!

And now I'm seeing credits.... But i don't quite believe them.

This is 35 in smyths atm, highly recommend.

That the level with the pumping rock tune? Next to last one iirc... If so absolutely loved that too!

So got to the Ashtray maze and spent a good 20 minutes faffing about, trying to figure it out, until it dawned on me to return to
    the janitors office
    ... ugh. Now I'm faffing about doing side missions! Such a great game, don't want it to end really, especially after getting the last power,
    levitating is awesome
    !!!

Expeditions free dlc out now. 1st expansion coming in march.

Finished this on Tuesday night just gone. Amazing game. It took me a while to get into it, but the second half of the game blew me away, especially after getting the final power,
    levitation
    , completely changed how you handle encounters. That Ashtray Maze was brilliant, but so were nearly all the OOP's you collect, some serious mind bending physics going on. Cannot wait for more of this. Going to hang tough for the GOTY release when it's all out and fly through it again.

Handy Platinum too, only had about an hour of extra play to finish everything. And enjoyable to finish up the rest of the bits. Easily my GOTY this year, and that's after checking what came out this year (pretty poor imo). There's only a few games I haven't played this year that could knock this off the top for me, but I doubt they would just going by what I've heard.

Anyway, if you haven't played this game, get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭recyclops

Just found an Alan Wake reference case file. Hopefully the remaster rumours of that are true, would love to play it on ps4, seems like it would be right up my alley.

I thought the rumours regarding copyright were all about the upcoming DLC involving wake.

Wake is still a great game and really is one of the better stories Remedy put out as a studio.

• Advertisement

I hope they do re-release it. I never played it so all the references are lost on me, including the upcoming DLC. Maybe I should just read about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Just after finishing this tonight , amazing game. So much fun love the nods to Alan wake and the world building. Toss up between this and sekiro for goty of 2019 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I was playing this in fits and starts over Christmas due to other games which were taking up the majority of my time. With my backlog cleared somewhat though I'm now balls deep in this and loving every minute.

One thing I wasn't expecting was how bloody creepy the whole thing is. Remedy games are usually eerie, but this is flat out spine tingling at times. The atmosphere is second to none, and playing the game with surround sound headphones is an absolute assault on the senses.

The world building and lore are second to none also. I usually gloss over collectables and lore entries in many games, however here I am completely obsessive, pouring over every report or piece of correspondence, eager to uncover more details about the absolutely bizarre world Remedy has created.

Combat is also great; I usually find the moment to moment gameplay and combat the weakest element of Remedy's work (not saying it has been bad, just very average in the past), but they have nailed it here. Launching chunks of the environment across the map at shielded enemies, zooming in to finish them off with shatter, zipping back out to use pierce then to pick off stragglers from a distance while your energy recharges; it just all flows together brilliantly.

Can't wait to get stuck back in this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Finished it last night.

Great game and some of the side bosses were excellent but was I the only one disappointed that
    there was no final boss?

Cina wrote: »
    Finished it last night.

Great game and some of the side bosses were excellent but was I the only one disappointed that
    there was no final boss?

That was strange alright, but at the same time expected due to the world you're playing in imo.
    This is far from the end (2 DLC's coming) but I reckon they left it like that to keep it interesting. They haven't really explained the Hiss either, so there's a lot more to come.

Makes me want more, and that is defintely something I want. I'm pretty sure I did everything, as I have the Plat, but I will pick it up again once the DLC has released and I look forward to it, and the inevitable future games. They really have created a potentially infinite world to explore.

Finished this up on Sunday; holy sh*t that was f*cking good.

I didn't want to post straight away as I wanted to give a couple of nights for it to digest a little, as I often think I love games only to realise shortly after finishing that I perhaps was a bit to generous when I "was in the moment" just after finishing. But having had a few days to sit on it, I genuinely think that is in my top 3 games of all time.

This may sound hyperbolic, but that was as close to a perfect game as I have played in quite some time. Technical shortcomings aside, everything was pulled off to a T; the gameplay, the narrative, the environment, world building, lore, sound design, graphics etc. etc. phenomenal stuff.

I do have a couple of minor gripes, the first being that the main missions seemed fairly mundane for the most part when contrasted against the lunacy of some of the optional side missions. I think to fully enjoy this game, you need to be open to exploring every corner, nook and cranny, because I think someone going through the game and mainlining the critical path could wind up feeling very underwhelmed; it's almost like one team developed the optional side bosses, and another developed the critical path bosses, such is the jump in quality once you hit the side bosses. My other main gripe is the ending of the game, the last gameplay segment is fairly underwhelming, though not enough to sour the experience.

Absolutely buzzing for the DLC, and like has been said above, they really have created a world with infinite possibility here, so I hope this sticks around as a franchise.

I don't think you're being hyperbolic at all goon_magee, it really is that good of a game. Yeah, it may not hit those critical 'artsy' moments some other games have, but at it's core as a game with good narrative, characters and setting, it's near perfect for me too. Especially after getting
    levitation
    , I really can't stress enough how much that changed the game for me. I'd also actually prefer to wait for Control 2 than have DLC at this stage, I can see where a game like this could go, and it excites me!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Great game but some of the boss fights are bull****.

I thought the boss fights were fantastic for the most part, apart from some of the critical path bosses which were just souped up version of standard enemies.

Loved the optional bosses though, the Anchor and the Former in particular. My only gripe would be some of them could have done with checkpoints closer to the boss. Even then though as someone who plays every Fromsoft game that comes out religiously, annoying boss runs are nothing new to me lol.

• Advertisement
Advertisement