Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Control (Remedy Games) PC, PS4, XB1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Was thinking of picking this up but read performance is terrible on PS4. Anyone here play on console or are you all on PC? If anyone played is it as bad as has been reported?

There was a patch out the other day to try and fix this,i cant say if it has fixed the problems on the base ps4 as im playing on Pro,but in certain fights when there are tonnes of enemys ,explosions and debris flying about,it does stutter somewhat,however its not gamebreaking..

Maybe get it on pc if you are worried about that though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

bigphil2 wrote: »
    There was a patch out the other day to try and fix this,i cant say if it has fixed the problems on the base ps4 as im playing on Pro,but in certain fights when there are tonnes of enemys ,explosions and debris flying about,it does stutter somewhat,however its not gamebreaking..

Maybe get it on pc if you are worried about that though..

Thanks. I don't have a gaming PC unfortunately so it's PS4 or nothing. I've a slim, not a pro. Frame rate doesn't usually bother me (started Bloodborne again and drops in that don't bother me) but I'd read this was unplayable. Knew there was a patch on the way so happy to hear its done. Might pick it up later.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Thanks. I don't have a gaming PC unfortunately so it's PS4 or nothing. I've a slim, not a pro. Frame rate doesn't usually bother me (started Bloodborne again and drops in that don't bother me) but I'd read this was unplayable. Knew there was a patch on the way so happy to hear its done. Might pick it up later.

Thanks again.

PS4 player here. The only issue I've had so far is that if it's paused for too long it can "stutter" when you unpause. Other than that I've encountered nothing that's ruining the experience.

I only got the game Wednesday so I'm unsure if there was anything included in the install patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

I played it on PS4 slim. There's no issues 90% of the time. As said above, does a brief stutter after pausing but that doesn't really effect you. The main issue is some screen freezing when it gets really frantic. Doesn't destroy the game, some reports are well exaggerated, but it would knock a point off if you were scoring it out of ten. Altho I'd finished before the latest patch, so may be sorted now, or at least in a future patch

Picked this up yesterday. Only as far as the mail room but I'm loving it. Great aesthetic, interesting story and lore so far. I love the videos you find etc. Can't wait to get stuck in again after work.

• Advertisement

I ended up trading in a few games and picking this up. Not too far in, just acquired the
    hotline
    . Must say I'm enjoying it. Fantastic visuals and sound design. Very unsettling.

No performance issues apart from after pausing as mentioned above but find if I press the touch pad to go into the menu it doesn't happen at all. Glad I listened to posters here and not the reviews I'd been reading all week. I did download the 3GB patch which mentions a performance fix in the patch notes. Look forward to playing more.

First boss took a few attempts so pleased it seems to be a challenging game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

https://twitter.com/SamLakeRMD/status/1171773903544508416

Wait a ****ing second, that second expansion...

Could it be?

tumblr_ool4394lHZ1r00lgio1_500.gif

This game can be tough. I'm dying a lot,more than I ever did in Soulsborniro. Fun though. Just got Seize ability. Thought pierce was crap till I accidentally charged it. Really enjoying it but there is definitely frame drops in chaotic battles. They must be really low as its not something I'd usually notice/mind.

It can get down as low as 12fps or something on the base Xbox One i think though a patch may have improved things.

This game can be tough.
    Its hard alright, I'm on the anchor boss fight for the last two days. Its an easy boss fight in theory but it is kicking my ass all over the place. Enemies swarm from all sides, at distance with rpg, flying suicide bombs and no cover. My shield does nothing against the suicide bombers. Really struggling with this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,081 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The main path is fairly easy and straightforward, but yeah some of those optional bosses are bastards. Wait until late game to take on the anchor, when you have a bit of extra health. It’s mostly about knowing when to focus on crowd control with the exploding chaps and when to hurl the clocks at the boss.

I finished the game a week or two ago but haven’t dug into the post-game yet. Anyone know if there’s much worthwhile to do? I cleared most of the side quests earlier but there’s a few I didn’t (find the squad members, clean up the fungus etc...).

The main path is fairly easy and straightforward, but yeah some of those optional bosses are bastards. Wait until late game to take on the anchor, when you have a bit of extra health. It’s mostly about knowing when to focus on crowd control with the exploding chaps and when to hurl the clocks at the boss.

I finished the game a week or two ago but haven’t dug into the post-game yet. Anyone know if there’s much worthwhile to do? I cleared most of the side quests earlier but there’s a few I didn’t (find the squad members, clean up the fungus etc...).
    Nearly had the bloody thing there, one more clock would have done it and all enemies cleared out. Go to throw a clock and Jesse throws a regular one instead of the red one and I got killed by the anchor blast. Tempted to throw my controller at the screen.

Haven't done anchor boss as couldn't levitate when I found it which presumably is needed to get across to it. Can relate to controller flinging rage though as came close to it on the Salvador boss. That almost drove me insane. Started mirror mission but had to switch off for work. Seemed amusing.

Think I'm close to end game. In
    Prime Candidate
    section. Still a few side missions to do. I'd like to finish by Friday as Code Vein out then.

I found for the anchor boss you need have powered up your levitation skills fairly high on the skills tree, and same for your health. Then levitate between platforms, get in shots to the mouth as much as possible, but always going after the regular bad guys as soon as they appear otherwise they'll destroy you from all sides

Boss fight against esseJ was a lot of fun but **** me that third phase was a nightmare. I ended up having to cheese it by standing on the staircase and firing pierce shots at her. Even died multiple times doing that.

I'm not a huge fan of the healing in this game. Given the crazy damage output from enemies I'd prefer limited charges of healing similar to Dark Souls.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Control featuring heavily here.

I've been away from home for a few days and got stuck back into control again last night. Increased my stats a bit and beat the anchor handily enough.
    Now I'm stuck on Mr Tomassi part two. This fight is really unbalanced. I can deal with a tough boss who can two shot kill you, but when you add flying suicide bombers and an invisible enemy that can one hit kill you halfway into the fight I start to think this is bad design. Great game and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it but the optional boss fights are just badly designed and pretty annoying.

I've been away from home for a few days and got stuck back into control again last night. Increased my stats a bit and beat the anchor handily enough.
    Now I'm stuck on Mr Tomassi part two. This fight is really unbalanced. I can deal with a tough boss who can two shot kill you, but when you add flying suicide bombers and an invisible enemy that can one hit kill you halfway into the fight I start to think this is bad design. Great game and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it but the optional boss fights are just badly designed and pretty annoying.

I was I think 2 trophies from platinum but gave up due to the side bosses. I'd completed the main story and really enjoyed it, want to keep that memory rather than grinding out the last two side bosses and remembering the game as a chore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

I couldn’t get past the level after Directorial Override - not through lack of skill but pure boredom. It just seems to be the same thing over and over. Does the gameplay get different enough after that point to warrant a re-install or is it basically the same to the end minus a few bells and whistles?

Had a go off the mold boss there, more frustration. Googled some cheese methods but can't get them to work, cheesed the essej boss too. The main story bosses are quite manageable but these side bosses are just crap.
    Can you come back to finish them off after the main story or do I have to beat them before the end?

• Advertisement

Free roam available after finishing the game so you can tackle them then.

Finished the main story last night, just have to beat Tomassi, mold 1and get a few skills upgraded for the platinum trophy.
    Overall its a pretty good game, I absolutely loved the setting and atmosphere. Combat definitely gets a bit repetitive and the optional boss fights are crap (just my opinion!). I'm looking forward to the expansions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭Cordell

Tomassi second fight was quite easy to cheese, you can hide underneath the stuff on the right of the room and fire from there, minding the teleporting baddies. Mold boss it's hard you need to keep moving/jumping/levitating and shoot the weak points in the mouths of the tentacles if I remember correctly.
    Great game, this and Borderland 3 and Doom Eternal we're spoiled this year :)

Beat Tomassi by staying on top of the crane and sniping him from above, he hardly ever flew higher than the walkway the crane sits on. Managed to beat mold 1 too, but there was a good bit of luck there rather than skill on my part! A very tough boss. The mold hosts didn't spawn for some reason and that gave me a lot of breathing room to focus on the boss. Just have to do two or three bureau alerts and the platinum trophy is mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

How many chapters / hours did it take you beat
    I've a feeling I'm a good way there just haven't had time to jump back in yet

T. Hanks^ wrote: »
    How many chapters / hours did it take you beat
    I've a feeling I'm a good way there just haven't had time to jump back in yet
    Couldn't tell you how many hours, but I was only playing an hour or two at a time over a few weeks. Ten chapters I think.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Stuck on the boss in mission 6 :(

10 chapters plus bunch of side missions. I'd guess 10-15 hours for main, plus maybe 5 for side depending on skill level / patience...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,341 ✭✭✭Homelander

So is this game definitely worth playing? I got it free with my RTX card but haven't even installed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

With all the nominations this has been getting, I'm tempted to pick it up. Looking up videos, it looks like a generic 3rd person shoot em up with force powers. Is the combat as good as max Payne? Is there exploration, puzzles, etc, or is it mostly room to room combat?

Advertisement