Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Little black bugs in bedroom

• 20-05-2018 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello, i hope someone can help me identify these small black bugs. They are only in my sons bedroom. I have no idea what they are. They crawl on walls and ceiling. Seem harmless, however my son is terrified to even go into the room. I only find 5/6 of these a day so hardly a reason to call an exterminator??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Beetle of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 29 leanneyc

Any ideas how to get rid or even find out how they're getting in?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

They look a bit like Biscuit beetles, if so they probably originated in some food source, search for that.
    They're also the general shape of woodworm but very unlikely to be!
    Have a look online at biscuit or flour beetle images and see if you can pin down the type you have.

Generally with some kinds of beetles or moths, persistent vacuuming gets rid of them by removing the eggs or the larvae.

Thanks for your reply. I've had a look online at biscuit & flour beetles. They do look very similar but there is definitely no food in the room. It's my young sons bedroom. So I'm now thinking maybe they are woodworm. I haven't seen any of the exit holes they leave tho so Maybe they're in the attic ���� is 10 a day enough to call an exterminator??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

10 every day?
    That....is a lot!
    I'd be surprised if they were woodworm, tbh.
    Can you get a clearer photo of one of them?

Some of the carpet beetles look fairly similar, maybe that's more likely if you can rule out the food beetle.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along here and help ID them for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,011 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was going to suggest woodworm, this is just the time of year for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Can you get a clearer photo of one? The macro lense on iPhone and most phones is quite good. If you hold the camera over it for a few seconds and let it focus it should give us all a better picture 😊

*update* I had pest control take a look today. It is woodworm 😣 he checked the attic and that's fine and all the walls are concrete so he reckons it's the joists in the floor! It's going to be a big and expensive job unfortunately. Thanks for the replies

Advertisement