Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Worldwide Handicap System

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I wonder is the plan still to go ahead with this or not.

Depending on when competitions are back on it could be your next competition is under the WHS

I'd say they might hold off for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Pretty sure there was a mail from the GUI recently saying that the change has been suspended indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Pretty sure there was a mail from the GUI recently saying that the change has been suspended indefinitely.
    The only one I've seen with regard to the WHS was where they said that all WHS meetings scheduled for before 30th April were postponed. Nothing since that I can find.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The only one I've seen with regard to the WHS was where they said that all WHS meetings scheduled for before 30th April were postponed. Nothing since that I can find.

Sorry, yes, I misread the mail from my club. They said that all introductory seminars for the GUI have been indefinitely suspended

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

Not sure if they have been posted already but here are the slides from those handicap seminars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭blackbox

Slide 13 (authorised formats of play) has me baffled.

Ther are green ticks only beside 18 hole stroke and stableford, but later on it seems 9-hole cards are permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

blackbox wrote: »
    Slide 13 (authorised formats of play) has me baffled.

Ther are green ticks only beside 18 hole stroke and stableford, but later on it seems 9-hole cards are permitted.

I think what it is saying is that the standard across all associations is that those 2 formats are acceptable for handicapping (rule 2.1)

But an association can nominate other formats of play as eligible for handicapping purposes if they wish, e.g. 9 holes (rule 2.2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Have any courses published their rating and slopes yet?
    If yes can we get a list going.

mike12 wrote: »
    Have any courses published their rating and slopes yet?
    If yes can we get a list going.
    There is a list of sorts on this thread (I think). There was another thread as well, but it may have been merged with this one. So if it's not here, it'll be in the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

There are a few

But a running list would be a good idea if the more technical can set it up

• Advertisement

Here's the thread, it was never merged with this one. A couple of posts below listing some of the courses with published ratings.

So here are some I've collected so far:

Castlewarden (Blue/White/Yellow) = 119 / 117 / 114
    Enniscrone (Blue/White/Yellow/Green) - 133 / 131 / 123 / 111
    Kinsale (Blue/White) - 128 / 125
    Dromoland Castle (Blue/White/Yellow) - 126 / 126 / 124
    Beaufort (Blue/White/Yellow) - 137 / 133 / 129
    Dooks (Blue/White/Yellow) - 122 / 121 / 117
    Tulfarris (Blue/White/Green) - 129 / 125 / 122
    Tipperary (Blue/White/Yellow) - 129 / 127 / 124
    Mount Juliet (Blue/White) - 148 / 136
    Old Head (Black/Blue/White/Yellow) - 142 / 139 / 136 / 129
    Castlemartyr (Blue/White/Red) - 133 / 126 / 131

Some of these came from posters above, some from a quick Google search and some from scorecards from courses I've played lately.
    charlieIRL wrote: »
    I have a card here from the Island in Donabate and the slope ratings are:
    White 130
    Green 129
    Yellow 124
    Red 121

• Registered Users Posts: 27,020 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

gypsy79 wrote: »
    There are a few

But a running list would be a good idea if the more technical can set it up

You can get them all from most of the GPS sites

e.g.
    https://courses.swingbyswing.com/courses/Ireland/Dublin/Dublin/Edmondstown/43050

a lot of them seem to be 113, which is the average but could also be being used as a default.
    however some (such as portmarnock links) are deffo up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Headfort showing as 113. It's plays a good few shots harder.

Headfort showing as 113. It's plays a good few shots harder.
    Yeah, 113 is just the same as 1.0, neutral slope. It's in there as a default as Greebo says.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

The below can be found on USGA for my course. It has been shared around whatsapp today so i assume it is to do with the new handicapping system.

Does it mean they rank our back 9 harder than front?
    What do the gender figures mean?
    If one courses bogey rating is higher than another, does that mean it is more difficult?

White M
    M
    Slope - 71
    Front - 70.9
    Back - 93.4
    Bogey rating - 121
    Gender 36.4 / 127
    34.5 / 115

The below can be found on USGA for my course. It has been shared around whatsapp today so i assume it is to do with the new handicapping system.

Does it mean they rank our back 9 harder than front?
    What do the gender figures mean?
    If one courses bogey rating is higher than another, does that mean it is more difficult?

White M
    M
    Slope - 71
    Front - 70.9
    Back - 93.4
    Bogey rating - 121
    Gender 36.4 / 127
    34.5 / 115
    Those numbers look incorrect to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

GreeBo wrote: »
    You can get them all from most of the GPS sites

e.g.
    https://courses.swingbyswing.com/courses/Ireland/Dublin/Dublin/Edmondstown/43050

however some (such as portmarnock links) are deffo up to date.

We’ve had 122 on our card for years, I’d expect it to be somewhat harder, I seen the Gui PowerPoint and they have Westport in as the training sample at 130 something, is the course that hard ????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

We’ve had 122 on our card for years, I’d expect it to be somewhat harder, I seen the Gui PowerPoint and they have Westport in as the training sample at 130 something, is the course that hard ????

Off the back sticks it's long fair enough and some holes a lot of non single figure lads just won't get there in two digs. But you can spray it all over the shop and get away with it if your long to make the recover. 130 sounds about right really.

Off the back sticks it's long fair enough and some holes a lot of non single figure lads just won't get there in two digs. But you can spray it all over the shop and get away with it if your long to make the recover. 130 sounds about right really.

Given that the measure is the difficulty of the course for a "par" golfer versus a "bogie" golfer then I think that makes sense

Especially considering the definition of a par and bogie golfer involves distance off the tee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

Just found my own course on the USGA site, showing as Course 70.4, Bogey 93.2 & Slope 123. I've no real idea yet what that means TBH !

Looks like that's the afternoon sorted so !! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Those numbers look incorrect to me

How so? I've no idea what's going on here and it seems many others in same boat

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Castleknock is here

https://ncrdb.usga.org/courseTeeInfo.aspx?CourseID=22933

Course rating 18 and slope also 18. I don’t think they are correct are they?
    Bogey rating differs for each tee with blues being 135. No idea If this means it is a hard or easy course.

Why do they make this stuff so complicated, I’m sure there could be a much simpler way of doing this.

I don't know if these are correct. Looked up a couple I have cards for and they don't correlate. Not miles out, but I don't think they're based on recent ratings. Would be surprised if USGA have these before the GUI.

I don't know if these are correct. Looked up a couple I have cards for and they don't correlate. Not miles out, but I don't think they're based on recent ratings. Would be surprised if USGA have these before the GUI.

They do tend to match up in difficulty ( harder courses are higher rating etc) but the extra shots seem excessive.

Using the USGA course handicap calculator I would play off 19 in Headfort New and 18 in Headfort Old with a real handicap of 16.2. Both from comp tees

They do tend to match up in difficulty ( harder courses are higher rating etc) but the extra shots seem excessive.

Using the USGA course handicap calculator I would play off 19 in Headfort New and 18 in Headfort Old with a real handicap of 16.2. Both from comp tees
    Just looked up Macreddin black tees (one of the hardest around) and the slope rating is 135. The same as Castleknock off the blue tees? Doesn't make sense to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭paulos53

1 thing to remember is that slope rating does not indicate course difficulty.

Course rating relative to par is a better indicator

paulos53 wrote: »
    1 thing to remember is that slope rating does not indicate course difficulty.

Course rating relative to par is a better indicator
    Slope rating is what your handicap will be based on. HI*SR/113. So the higher the slope rating, the higher your course handicap will be. Which is a direct correlation to course difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Slope rating is what your handicap will be based on. HI*SR/113. So the higher the slope rating, the higher your course handicap will be. Which is a direct correlation to course difficulty.

Is that the correct calc? I played a course rated 145 today according to the scorecard and if I do that calc it takes my handicap from 9 to 12?

They may be updating this, some of the info has changed which means I would play of 21 in the New :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

They may be updating this, some of the info has changed which means I would play of 21 in the New :eek:

Thats really only an :eek: because you are thinking of the 21 in old money. Its comparing apples and oranges and people just dont have a feel for the WGS yet so keep thinking of it in the system they know and rember that the slope rating applies to everyone. Its just a number and it whats it relative to all the other numbers in the competition that matters not the value itself.

Advertisement