Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1996 Mazda Bongo Camper

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭judgefoozle

WM18 wrote: »
    thats the brother white 99 2wd,Richie is the guy's name he imports direct and brought in our 2, PM me if you need more details,what have got urself?

Was in DOE test centre today in Tuam - and the tester mentioned the two your brother brought in.

I've a 97 V6 - now with a shiny new DOE!

WM18 wrote: »
    looks nice same colour as ours

Thanks - it's got a handy conversion done to it; we can make up a full size double downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭WM18

Thanks - it's got a handy conversion done to it; we can make up a full size double downstairs.

ya same as ours,richie is the guy who sources them in japan,he brought in the white one for my brother thats the one you,ve seen in tuam,and then a silver one for me, just back from westport today after our first trip in it,managed to flatten battery and had to get jumped,oh the joys,

we done a rear conversion and you can still sleep 2 downstairs,they are a fantastic van,,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Alkers

Had our first proper trip at Body & Soul festival over the weekend.

Bongo performed flawlessly - we had 5 people staying between it and the awning, we brought so much stuff with us that we were very comfortable and were able to make our own coffees and noodles etc thanks to the hob and kettle.

Come home time on Monday (it had been raining heavily all day on Sunday), the place was like a swamp and everyone was getting stuck and having to wait to get a tow from a tractor. I approached the swamp with a good bit of speed and the bongo didn't even slow down, made it straight through and up a muddy hill without a bother on it.

2016_06_17_16_45_36.jpg

2016_06_17_16_54_58.jpg

2016_06_17_16_55_12.jpg

• Advertisement

Simona1986 wrote: »
    .... everyone was getting stuck and having to wait to get a tow from a tractor.

That's what snow chains are for!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

That's what snow chains are for!

The bear has spoken, he has the power.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Let's not poke him any more.

Quick update, only reactive maintenance as the search for a house is ongoing and consuming all available funds and time!

The bongo suddenly developed a horrible scratching noise under braking. I took the front wheels off the have a quick look and the pads appeared to have loads of life left on them. Hadn't time to have a proper look then but had another look a few days later...

2016_07_24_16_48_21.jpg

One of the pads was fine but the other side was down well into the metal. Must have been like that for a while as the disc was also badly worn from the worn pad.

The pads on the other side weren't as bad but had also worn unevenly, this time due to a sticking piston as one end of the pad had loads left and the other was heavily worn.

In any case, new discs and pads for both sides:

2016_07_29_19_35_12.jpg

And installed them, was a bit of a pain trying to free the one stuck caliper but got it just as we were about to give up!

2016_07_29_19_39_56.jpg

2016_07_29_19_45_15.jpg

2016_07_29_19_45_19.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ManAlive73

Keep your old discs, you might be able to get them skimmed!
    Got the bongo up and running 10 months out of action. Now groovin around, loving the hayden temp gauge.
    Unfortunately had my injectors nicked and other stuff as we asembled the engine. So if anybody bought off PT/Mr Bongo lately, it could be off my yoke.
    Easy now.

• Advertisement

Fixed a few niggles over the weekend:

The front fog lights and the horn hadn't been working. Long story short but they are now.:P

2016_08_06_17_31_41.jpg

Whoever was at the wiring on it previously was mad, there were various grades of cable joined together with tape running all over the place, half of it redundant!

Grand day for a bit of work on the daily driver also:

2016_08_06_17_31_56.jpg

ManAlive73 wrote: »
    Keep your old discs, you might be able to get them skimmed!
    Got the bongo up and running 10 months out of action. Now groovin around, loving the hayden temp gauge.
    Unfortunately had my injectors nicked and other stuff as we asembled the engine. So if anybody bought off PT/Mr Bongo lately, it could be off my yoke.
    Easy now.

Ah they're well binned now, one of them was fine but the other side was well worn, the new ones were cheap enough anyway.

You're not having the best of luck with it! Hopefully you get to enjoy it for the rest of the summer!

Totally, strapped on kayak, top box, back box, bike rack. The thing i love about the Bongo is its a Swiss army knife on wheels!

Totally, strapped on kayak, top box, back box, bike rack. The thing i love about the Bongo is its a Swiss army knife on wheels!

What type of back box and bike rack do you have? Looking into options at the minute!

I bought bak rak off this guy in west meath www ginnellfibreglass com
    Bike rack off bongo fury web site, its the one that goes on back door so you can still open it.
    Got the bak rak and sourced box myself and bolted it on myself. Works a treat.

So you've the box down low with the bikes positioned over it? Sounds like something that would be great for carrying extra essentials/crap around! :)

Any photos handy? Be interested to see how it looks.

Planning a trip down to the Wild Atlantic Way for four nights this weekend. Evenings are getting notably cooler and while there are curtains on the rear side windows, I haven't got anything else to keep the heat in and the light out except for a cheap Aldi windscreen sheet.

Was in lidl recently and picked up a sheet of radiator foil:
    https://www.offerscheck.org/powerfix-profi-radiator-reflector-foil/lidl/2015/kw-53/276658

Using only a marker and a scissors, was a simple job to cut out templates for each of the windows (except for the windscreen). By leaving the cuts slightly larger that the windows, they stay in very well with no fixings required.

I'm thinking silver side out for sunny days and silver side in when its cold...

2016_10_08_16_09_44.jpg

2016_10_08_16_09_55.jpg

2016_10_08_16_10_00.jpg

2016_10_08_16_43_54.jpg

2016_10_08_16_44_03.jpg

2016_10_08_16_44_11.jpg

Also installed some HIDs in the headlights (which were woeful). They seem much better but I haven't had a chance to test the full beams or see how bad the dips are for glare.

2016_10_08_17_08_39.jpg

be careful re: hids as lense is plastic and they get very hot, look good though.

I'm thinking silver side out for sunny days and silver side in when its cold...

Splash out! Go double sided. :D

Mine are a mixture of carpet underlay and this more stout stuff.

127033_R_Z001?

If you add suction cups they stick better.

They also make great heliostats.

Only managed to get a few small bits done over the holidays as I was sick for a chunk of the time off and we're moving house at the end of the month.

I got a present of a packet of translated warning stickers for the interior:

2016_12_29_13_44_12.jpg

2016_12_29_13_44_18.jpg

2016_12_29_13_44_29.jpg

2016_12_29_13_45_41.jpg

2016_12_29_13_46_25.jpg

2016_12_29_13_46_40.jpg

2016_12_29_13_46_12.jpg No translation for this one!

I also got a set of car mats. They're pretty decent, the front ones and the rear one are a perfect fit but the middle section only fits loosely between the middle seat rails and doesn't cover the whole floor.

2016_12_29_13_50_35.jpg

2016_12_29_13_50_00.jpg

And lastly, I removed the middle row of seats to paint the seat rails as they were very tatty looking. I am missing a big section of carpet, where a previous owner had a kitchen installed.

2016_12_29_15_25_38.jpg

2016_12_29_15_25_44.jpg

2016_12_29_15_25_50.jpg

2016_12_29_15_25_54.jpg

2016_12_30_17_13_34.jpg

• Advertisement

Also installed some HIDs in the headlights (which were woeful). They seem much better but I haven't had a chance to test the full beams or see how bad the dips are for glare.

2016_10_08_17_08_39.jpg

Probably depends on your DOE centre, but I had to remove HID's from our Bongo when we put it through for a test.

If anyone want's to chance it themselves, I've them out and still stored away here - open to offers :D

And lastly, I removed the middle row of seats to paint the seat rails as they were very tatty looking. I am missing a big section of carpet, where a previous owner had a kitchen installed.

2016_12_29_15_25_38.jpg

Also with your carpet, I was given a couple of rolls of grey thin carpeting for free - the type that you'd see used in marquees and very like the lining you'd see in camper conversions. If you're passing through East Galway and want to cut out a section for yourself feel free to PM.

Haven't done any more but just to follow up on my previous post to show the seat rails painted and installed:

2016_12_30_17_13_34.jpg

2017_01_09_21_21_57.jpg

2017_01_09_21_22_04.jpg

Also, when I raised the roof to have a look, there was quite a bit of mould on the canvas. I sprayed this with a bleach spray and left it air out for most of the day and it had disappeared.

2016_12_29_11_56_43.jpg

Last weekend I changed the transfer case lube oil. The stuff I took out was unrecognisable compared to what went back in and the level was low enough so well I eventually got around to doing it! Handy that my carpets are loose as we were able to refill the transfer case through the hatch in the floor over the fuel tank. Didn't take any photos unfortunately.

Going to tackle both diffs this weekend and it's due another oil and filter change also.

Rust is starting to become an issue, particularly on the sills and wheelarches. I'm going to paint the van in any case so hopefully this weekend I'll start sanding and really investigating the extent of the rust. I've no welding experience so will probably look to get that done professionally. Thankfully I know the undercarriage is sound.

As an aside, if anyone has come across garages which did a good job or knew their way around these Bongos could you send me their details please?

As an aside, if anyone has come across garages which did a good job or knew their way around these Bongos could you send me their details please?

I had been getting a neighbour to do basic service on ours but he wasn't keen on doing some of the bigger jobs for the DOE.

Town & Country Garage in Tuam, County Galway are now doing all the work. So far they sorted an emissions problem i had and will be doing timing belt aswell.

I've to check with them about coolant job but i cant see them being fazed by it... Here's hoping anyway.

No connection to the business other than it being local to me and being a previous customer.

Got the oil in the two diffs changed today also. Stuff in the front looked fine but the the rear was worse for wear. Changed the engine oil and filter also.
    Didn't get a chance to investigate the rust. Will try and post a few pics before getting a professional opinion next weekend.

Mine failed doe last month due to sills. Totally rusted out and rear end.

Mine failed doe last month due to sills. Totally rusted out and rear end.

If you're thinking of getting it back on the road, I was looking up spare parts online last night and came across sills:
    http://www.bongospares.co.uk/shop/body/complete-set-of-new-sills/

• Advertisement

If you're thinking of getting it back on the road, I was looking up spare parts online last night and came across sills:
    http://www.bongospares.co.uk/shop/body/complete-set-of-new-sills/

Or if you end up going down the breaking/selling route, I'd love to get a look at the bakrak box you mentioned before!

(Is there a 'vulture' emoji? :D )

Advertisement