Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Final Fantasy VII Remaster/Remake

• 16-06-2015 3:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well its happening.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I think some one on the e3 thread had a hat to eat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Lol a few of us did!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Tetsuya Nomura... Probably the worst thing that could happen to a FF7 remake. Firstly he's not been in charge of the development of a good game yet. Secondly his last project versus 13 was such a disaster he was pulled off it after not delivering a game in 9 years. Lastly he had the biggest hand in Advent Children, a film that was not only terrible but missed the point of ff7 spectacularly. something with that sort of tone and those sorts of retcons is not going to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Tetsuya Nomura... Probably the worst thing that could happen to a FF7 remake. Firstly he's not been in charge of the development of a good game yet. Secondly his last project versus 13 was such a disaster he was pulled off it after not delivering a game in 9 years. Lastly he had the biggest hand in Advent Children, a film that was not only terrible but missed the point of ff7 spectacularly. something with that sort of tone and those sorts of retcons is not going to be good.

Way to be Sir Buzz Killington. :pac:

I'm still hyped for this.

I really want this to be good, but well....you summed it up, still I will hold some slim hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

everyone's like OMG ff7!!!!! yeeeeeeeeeeeees.........in 10 years time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Can we not stick to the e3 thread. ..else we'll have a new thread for every new game being shown at e3.

I loved ff7...and will buy a ps4 for this game. But I doubt it will be out until late 2016 even. So not even worth my time speculating or discussing what may or may not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

a bit late really! wouldve been massive 10 years ago, most people I feel reluctantly moved on

• a bit late really! wouldve been massive 10 years ago, most people I feel reluctantly moved on

It will sell millions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

a bit late really! wouldve been massive 10 years ago, most people I feel reluctantly moved on

I'm playing it on the Vita for the past month - just got my Gold Chocobo. Must have bought this game four times already.

• Advertisement

• Maybe they'll translate it properly this time !!! Was interesting reading about the reunion project to fix the mess that was the original.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Great news in principal, but the angsty, tortured portrayal of Cloud from Advent Children could really stink up this remaster: when all's said and done FF7 was fairly goofy & camp in places, and that won't gel with Advent Children's grimdark styling & overwrought prose; it's hard for Cloud to properly angst while he's crossdressing or having fun in Gold Saucer :D The angst was only one part of FF7, somehow it has taken over the general perception of the game, and it'd be a shame if that became the driving force of the remaster

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

the narration in that video is dreadful, the dialogue in the original sounded way better in my head, even with it's mistakes

• Registered Users Posts: 15,246 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I would like to see more a tuneup than a tear down. I have a feeling some of the magic would be lost with a HD Advent looking FFVII.

Still super excited tho.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I better get eating .....ill post up a video later

Cant believe its actually true

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

the narration in that video is dreadful, the dialogue in the original sounded way better in my head, even with it's mistakes

The dialogue in the original was having fun with how absurd the whole plot and world were. It's a major part of the charm of the original and it made things a little more believable. The new dialogue is like the fanfiction of someone taking it far too seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looks class, always expected that if this happened it would just be HD skins on the old game. Agree with others though, could be another 5 years before we see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Yeah, I'm not that fussed. I think more people should take a leaf out of Bethesdas book - here's this really cool looking game you all wanted, and it's out in 5 months! People have been wanting this for 10 years. If it takes them another 5 to release it, there will probably be another generation on the way, so they'll double dip with FFVII-HD-Remastered-4k-Mega-Super-Fun-Edition-Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Considering they said work has only begun on it, yes it'll be a long while yet.

Sure what's another few years? We've been waiting this long anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

So this is our new Last Guardian then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

If they take the old game and simply update the whole thing to a modern standard with a few extra side activities and quests, then it'll be amazing.

FF7 remains my favourite of the series, at this point I've probably put a thousand hours into it from replays, but RetroGamer is right, if they try and stick to this grimdark nonsense of Advent Children or the nonsense dialogue and awful play style of the more recent games, it'll be a disaster.

I've hoped for a remake for years, probably the only game I've ever wanted remade, but if they mess this up it'll be a giant nail in the coffin for Squareenix that they sorely deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm finding it hard to muster up any real enthusiasm for this.

• Reddit is losing its **** over this and you guys are all doom-and-gloom

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

well I can't wait. If just for the re-done soundtrack and cheap nostalgia I think this will be amazing.
    Hopefully they stick to the vibe of the original as much as possible. Fingers crossed for a text based dialogue system too...

Arghhh... I dont think I can wait til 2017 if it's gona be a 20th anniversary release

Reddit is losing its **** over this and you guys are all doom-and-gloom

When has Reddit been anything other than a barometer for fanboy outpourings? We're looking at it more realistically here. Basically the game hasn't begun being developed and is being handled by a terrible director whose last project was a complete disaster and had to be taken away from him after 9 years. There's a lot there to be skeptical about.

You know, I'd actually like if they did more of a remake like Climax (I think) did with FF4 on the DS. 1080p the backgrounds, do up the models, don't retcon the storyline and maybe change the materia system to something a lot less simple and uninteresting.

**** it just give it to those guys although they are busy now with the Bravely series.

Wonder if SE will go into anymore dept about the game at their presentation this evening or wait till the TGS.

Well you won't see FFVII remake. Apparently it's not even started production.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,590 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Other reports say it started. But yeah you won't see this soon. The whole point of announcing things like this so far ahead f time (like no mans sky) is more of a "we don't have anything to really say about the competition but WAIT dont buy their console yet we will have cookies in 3-5 years"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Gonna take a guess at Christmas 2017 for the earliest possible release.

Advertisement