Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Arizona Cardinals thread!

• 14-12-2012 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

I've been trawling through these forums and I couldn't find a single one of these threads, despite the Cards being one of the best teams in the league! :P

All joking aside, is there any Cardinals fans around here? Obviously we're not really heard of as much given the misfortunes this season, which we can pretty much forget about!

However I think once the offensive situation gets sorted out in some way I think Arizona can quite possibly clinch the divisional title as well as reaching the playoffs within the next couple of years. Obviously with Lindley and Skelton at the helm AZ are a train-wreck so as long as Kolb gets back from injury and get the offensive line back to form, we'll certainly be seeing more wins than we're seeing now :pac:

Obviously the coaching set-up is going to be changed around for next year so it'll be interesting to see how things develop, and it's always possible a new QB could be on the way, although the good one's are hard to come by at the moment. If the QB situation does get sorted out I'm sure the combination with Fitzgerald would be lethal. Of course, it's more than just that, and it certainly wouldn't be of Super Bowl standard yet along with the top ten defense, I'm sure Arizona can go pretty far!

I hope Kolb doesn't leave though seeing as I'm getting his jersey for Christmas! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,326 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just thinking back there to 2008 and Edgerrin James was pretty much done at that stage and you didn't really have a good enough running game to get you home at the very end. Since then that has not improved at all and I do think that if you get a good running game going that Kolb will do well there but without it he and pretty much any other QB you get will struggle. OL has to get sorted pronto if the cards are to become competitive.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Think you need to sort out management first. Any team that would give up what they did for Kolb is just not up for the job.

I feel so sorry for Larry Fitz. He seems like a gent. He had a few years with Kurt Warner and they were a Santonio Holmes catch away from winning it all. Now he has Lindley and Skelton who barely connect with him. I usually like to hype up young QBs but those guys are just so awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Jeeeeeeez lads. Where are you Cards fans?, last post is 2012!!!.

Just came in to check on Antoine Cason to see how he is getting on in the desert. He started at corner for my Bolts the last few yrs, bigtime underachiever and was wondering if things were still the same. I see he was active yesterday at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭kingcobra

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Jeeeeeeez lads. Where are you Cards fans?, last post is 2012!!!.

Just came in to check on Antoine Cason to see how he is getting on in the desert. He started at corner for my Bolts the last few yrs, bigtime underachiever and was wondering if things were still the same. I see he was active yesterday at least.

Hey I'm still here! It just seems as if we don't have much followers around here. The team fell a little short against the Rams yesterday but it was always going to be a tough game. I'm just hoping that Palmer will eventually work out instead of being a complete flop!

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

kingcobra wrote: »
    Hey I'm still here! It just seems as if we don't have much followers around here. The team fell a little short against the Rams yesterday but it was always going to be a tough game. I'm just hoping that Palmer will eventually work out instead of being a complete flop!

Wow just saw this thread now - 4-4 heading into the bye.
    It's been a tough season for Palmer - he has just thrown too many int's. The defence has been great and keeping the team in most games.
    The next 2 games are big after the bye - 6-4 would put us in with a chance for a wildcard in the NFC! I'm prepared for disappointment though as always with the Cardinals!!

Go Cards!

• Advertisement

dougal wrote: »
    Wow just saw this thread now - 4-4 heading into the bye.
    It's been a tough season for Palmer - he has just thrown too many int's. The defence has been great and keeping the team in most games.
    The next 2 games are big after the bye - 6-4 would put us in with a chance for a wildcard in the NFC! I'm prepared for disappointment though as always with the Cardinals!!

Go Cards!

The next series of games up until week 16 is pretty favourable is as well with the odd exception. There's a strong chance they'll win at least 4 so that'll put them in a good position hopefully! It's crazy how everyone wrote off Cards as destined for last place in NFC West...now if only Palmer stopped with those interceptions...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

What's the general feeling about Bruce Arians in Arizona? Is he well liked? He was, obviously, adored in his year in Indy. I miss his style of play, but I'm not sure we'd have beaten Seattle or SF with the high-risk style.

The next series of games up until week 16 is pretty favourable is as well with the odd exception. There's a strong chance they'll win at least 4 so that'll put them in a good position hopefully! It's crazy how everyone wrote off Cards as destined for last place in NFC West...now if only Palmer stopped with those interceptions...

Yeah makes a difference from last season when we were 4-4 but going backwards after a 4-0 start to this one still thinking of playoff chances.
    Palmer showed signs in the Falcons game that he is getting more comfortable with the offence - Ellington getting the running game going helped too.
    davyjose wrote: »
    What's the general feeling about Bruce Arians in Arizona? Is he well liked? He was, obviously, adored in his year in Indy. I miss his style of play, but I'm not sure we'd have beaten Seattle or SF with the high-risk style.

Arians is a good coach and there is a definite no-nonsense style to how he is running things. He is definitely well liked in Arizona but wouldn't say adored yet!
    He has dialed back the high-risk strategy a bit mainly due to Palmer making it super high-risk with some of his throws! Also he has found it difficult to find the speed receiver to stretch the field so hasn't called as many deep balls as he would have in Indy. I've been impressed with the coaching as a whole this year though - I can see big improvements in the O-line and the defense is definitely more consistent.

Strange game last night. Lost the turnover battle 3-1 and still came away with the win.
    The defense really stepped up in the second half and shut down the Texans.

Strange game last night. Lost the turnover battle 3-1 and still came away with the win.
    The defense really stepped up in the second half and shut down the Texans.

I didn't think they played that bad though, it'd be hard to say that they didn't deserve to win. You're right though the defense really cracked down hard on Keenum in the second half, I felt sorry for the poor chap :P
    And although the tight ends in Arizona are absolutely nowhere near the top TE class in the NFL, I thought Housler did a decent job yesterday, and Ballard did well considering it was his first game.

I'm hoping they romp over the Jags this weekend! :D

• Advertisement

I didn't think they played that bad though, it'd be hard to say that they didn't deserve to win. You're right though the defense really cracked down hard on Keenum in the second half, I felt sorry for the poor chap :P
    And although the tight ends in Arizona are absolutely nowhere near the top TE class in the NFL, I thought Housler did a decent job yesterday, and Ballard did well considering it was his first game.

I agree the win was deserved - should have been by more even only for Mendenhall giving up that fumble and then Johnson making that wonder catch. PP should have batted that ball away instead of trying the one handed interception.
    Really like the blitz packages called by Bowles they really are so unpredictable and the D-line are really playing well especially Campbell.

Yeah good to see Housler finally step up and have a big game - he has been really frustrating up to now.

Bring on the Jags next week!! Go Cards!

Not exactly a romp but a comfortable win by the end.
    Great play by Floyd on the 91 yard TD he did a good impression of Megatron on that one!

Defense really turned it on again after a slow start, that seems to be their method - figure out the offence and then make adjustments.

Palmer did well, although he was lucky with the interception he did throw being chalked off for the timeout.

Overall will have to improve on that to beat the Colts next week - should be an interesting one with Arians going against his former team anyway.

Overall will have to improve on that to beat the Colts next week - should be an interesting one with Arians going against his former team anyway.

And improve we certainly did - that was the best performance of the season on both sides of the ball.

The offence was balanced and Palmer was excellent at spreading the ball to many different receivers. Floyd has really stepped it up the last few games, he really has the potential to be a top WR. Great to see Larry get the record too.
    Especially liked the drives in the second half to close out the game, this has been this teams Achilles heal where we can't move the ball when in the lead.

The defense really had its best game of the season though - shut down the run bar a few late yards by the rookie rb and Lucks big scramble on the TD drive.

Looking forward to the rest of the season now that the offence seems to have clicked to Arians scheme and the D is getting better week on week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

seems mad to me all this talk of Palmer not being in Arizona next season. Hes had a rocky start but he's still a more than serviceable QB hes not quite back to his early career Bengals form and hes no Kurt Warner but hes been pretty good of late and Im not convinced that Arizona can plug in something better without significant investment which would be better spent elsewhere.

D3PO wrote: »
    seems mad to me all this talk of Palmer not being in Arizona next season. Hes had a rocky start but he's still a more than serviceable QB hes not quite back to his early career Bengals form and hes no Kurt Warner but hes been pretty good of late and Im not convinced that Arizona can plug in something better without significant investment which would be better spent elsewhere.

I haven't heard too much serious chatter of Palmer not being around next season.
    He was throwing a lot of interceptions earlier in the season as he and the receivers seemed to be getting used to the Arians scheme. He has turned it around though the last couple of weeks and is finally in the positive on the TD-Int ratio with 16-15.

All in all he is a huge improvement on the numerous QB's the Cardinals have had since Warner retired so I think we are happy to stick with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

there has been plenty of chatter about him not being around tbh. I suspect ta few more performances like the past two weeks may well change that view .

I'm sure at the start of the year there was talk of him leaving, obviously given that he was throwing almost a couple of interceptions each game. He's no long term option, especially given his age, but I think he'll do for the next couple of years and most certainly so if he maintains this current form.
    I don't know where the team could get a really good QB without making a significant sacrifice and I think it's best if they just pull a QB in the draft and work on his development for the next couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

2013 2million salary & 2million bonus

2014 8million salary & 2million bonus

2015 1million salary & 2million bonus

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Carson%20Palmer&Position=QB&Team=Cardinals

Carson Palmer is due 10 million next year. The owners and front office will be looking at that closely and could well play a factor if he is cut or not

If cut this offseason the 2013 & 2014 bonus money accelerates forward and becomes due so that is 4 million in dead money next year.

Though it does free up 6 million also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Just wanna say congrats. Arizona got some flak for hiring a "60 year old rookie head coach" as someone on here put it. But the guy is an excellent coach. As a colts fan I'm missing him badly. I was gutted when he left.

Hope ye make the playoffs.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    2013 2million salary & 2million bonus

2014 8million salary & 2million bonus

2015 1million salary & 2million bonus

http://overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Carson%20Palmer&Position=QB&Team=Cardinals

Carson Palmer is due 10 million next year. The owners and front office will be looking at that closely and could well play a factor if he is cut or not

If cut this offseason the 2013 & 2014 bonus money accelerates forward and becomes due so that is 4 million in dead money next year.

Though it does free up 6 million also.

I think that they may have that wrong - the way the deal was done AFAIK, if cut after this season the cap hit would be 6 million - 2 million guaranteed salary plus 4 million in bonus money.
    I think the deal was done as a 2 year deal that worked for both sides.
    If he keeps playing at the level he has lately then it would more likely be an extension/restructuring we are talking about in the off-season rather than a cut.

• Advertisement

davyjose wrote: »
    Just wanna say congrats. Arizona got some flak for hiring a "60 year old rookie head coach" as someone on here put it. But the guy is an excellent coach. As a colts fan I'm missing him badly. I was gutted when he left.

Hope ye make the playoffs.

I think Arians was the perfect coach to come to Arizona.
    There was a lot of talent on the team but there were glaring weaknesses last season. He has solidified all the main weak areas and is getting the offence clicking now.

I think the team is short on a couple of areas so if he makes the playoffs this year it would be a great achievement especially in the NFC west. It's great to be in the hunt again though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Hi all

I see there is no activity here since last year but maybe someone can help me. I will be in Arizona in October and see that the Cardinals are playing the Redskins. I will be on a weeks holiday with my wife and we have never attended a game before.
    What are the chances of getting tickets for a game like this? Will it be sold out?

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Hi all

I see there is no activity here since last year but maybe someone can help me. I will be in Arizona in October and see that the Cardinals are playing the Redskins. I will be on a weeks holiday with my wife and we have never attended a game before.
    What are the chances of getting tickets for a game like this? Will it be sold out?

I'm not sure if there's too much Cardinals fans on here :(:p I reckon it shouldn't be too hard to get tickets for the game, you'll definitely be able to get them online if you book well in advance.
    If you're aiming to get tickets when you're out there you'll usually get them off Craigslist, and there will be a markup but I don't think it'll be at a ridiculous price.

I myself was over there in December and went to see the last game of the same vs. the 49'ers, which was probably the biggest game of the season given they are division rivals. I got a group of three tickets off Craigslist, 10-20 rows away from the pitch (which is pretty close!) for a very reasonable enough price.

The stadium (and the team ;)) is absolutely tremendous so it's well worth the money!

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Hi all

The Cardinals have sold out every game since they opened their new stadium - however they usually sell the last tickets the week of the game. So there should be tickets available through ticketmaster the week before.
    Also check Stubhub as this is a fan sales website.

The stadium is amazing - get there early and checkout the tailgate area and the atmosphere outside the stadium, totally different to going to games here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Thanks guys. Will keep an eye out on all sites closer to the time of the game.

Thanks again.

Just listening to the ESPN PTI podcast and Jaws (Ron Jaworski) picked the Cardinals as his team to make the playoffs that didn't last season.
    He said he likes Carson Palmers arm strength and the upgraded O-line should give him enough time to get the ball to his weapons Fitz and Floyd. He also likes Ellington as a threat out of the backfield.

Good to hear some positive vibes I guess because the off-season hasn't been the best on the defensive side especially.
    Losing Dansby (free agency) Washington (Suspension) and Dockett (injury) has really dimmed my expectations but hopefully the guys that are coming in can lessen the impact and the defense is as good as it was last year.

On the offensive side Palmer just needs to continue where he left off at the end of last year rather than his interception riddled first half of last season. I'm really happy with the receiver group, the two Browns have really played well in pre-season and should give Palmer some new options also the tight-ends are all good options.

So all in all I guess I'm starting to get pumped for the season - can't wait for Monday night! Go Cards!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Gday lads... MNF should be a banger this week. Hate that I don't get to see it until Tue night though. I see you as a real solid team but with a QB who can be v good or downright dire. I'm hoping it's the latter. Coming up againt Larry and Brown will be a nice opening test for our new corners i.e. Flowers and Verrett.

Watched your preseason game 3 to see what's coming. Thought your O line looked much better than it was last year, esp on LHS.

Roll on Tues.

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Roll on Tues.

Yep Roll on Tuesday indeed!

Yeah Veldheer is a big improvement at LT for us - it's a pity Cooper hasn't panned out at LG as I had high hopes for him. I think on offense we should be okay.

The defense is where there are a lot of unanswered questions but a I would have confidence in DC Bowles to have them at a high level.

All in all I expect a shootout with the home-field advantage and our Defense hopefully improving as the game goes on a slim Cards victory 31-27 is my prediction. :D

To say the Cards have had it a little tough with injuries is pretty apt, if not an understatement. But I sh*t my pants today when I see Ellington could be out for some time due to a foot injury.
    @mikejurecki
    Andre Ellington aggravated his left foot in practice on Thursday, underwent an MRI, hearing he could be out extended period of time.

It's pretty hard to gauge how long he'll be out but it seems like it has got to be a few games at the very least. I can't wait til the Monday night game but wow, the Cards have lost a few key players :(

• Advertisement

To say the Cards have had it a little tough with injuries is pretty apt, if not an understatement. But I sh*t my pants today when I see Ellington could be out for some time due to a foot injury.

Looks like Ellington might play tonight - they are saying game time decision.
    Hope he plays because he is our only running back that is a receiving threat too.

Advertisement