Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite rock album?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭oisindoyle

Thin Lizzy ,,"Live and Dangerous"

• Registered Users Posts: 9 fenderpick

Live and dangerous Thin Lizzy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Live and Dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭RodgersLFC

oisindoyle wrote: »
    Thin Lizzy ,,"Live and Dangerous"
    fenderpick wrote: »
    Live and dangerous Thin Lizzy
    Gmol wrote: »
    Live and Dangerous

Superb album, a fine choice. There's a few overdubs on there but its one of the great live albums of all time.

Best live album for me would either be Alice In Chains (Unplugged) or Pink Floyd - Pulse.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

God, so, so many....

Testament - The Legacy
    Testament - The New Order
    Annihilator - Alice In Hell
    Annihilator - Never Neverland
    AC/DC - Razor's Edge
    Thunder - Back Street Symphony
    It Bites - Once Around The World
    Skid Row - Skid Row
    Skid Row - Slave To The Grind
    Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

And so on, so on....

In fairness most of them wouldn't be classified as classic rock, they are all brilliant albums though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

galwayrush wrote: »
    Permanent Waves from Rush, timeless.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭marty2002

far too many to have 1 favourite, but i think AC/DCs Powerage is near perfect and easily the most underated album.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Exile on main street...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 65 ✭✭Ottway

Slippery When Wet.

$(KGrHqYOKj!E1tSVUi(FBNlny8i!Cg~~_35.JPG

Favourite, because it was the album that changed my music tastes the most.

Before it, I was just a innocent 10 year old, bopping to A-HA and Duran Duran (thought they were badass) dabbling in a little Madness at the weekends, sporting a Y-Cardigan (which I won't post an image of, for fear of a ban).

Then, one weekend, I seen the video for You Give Love A Bad Name on MT-USA and I went straight upstairs to the bathroom mirror to check how long the back of my hair was. It wasn't, at all, but I declared it would be soon, and so started what became my 25 year boycott of barber shops.

So, while I don't consider it to be the best (Highway to Hell, Ten or Appetite would get that honour) I do consider it my favourite, as I was on the brink of becoming a Ska at the time and so I owe everything to it.

Roll on Slane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Berlin at night

Powerage by AC/DC
    :D Classic mate, just classic. Highway To Hell is a cracker as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

Powerage for me too. Bon Scotts finest hour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Nice to see the first album I ever owned, Queen's Night at the Opera on 'Classic Albums' on Sky tonight. I had great taste, even at 11 years old. Not sure that it's still my 'favourite', but it's a good un.

Blue850 wrote: »
    Powerage for me too. Bon Scotts finest hour

A mate of mine saw Bon SCOTT in the Olympia on the 1977 Powerage tour - lucky sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭deblacker

Nirvana-Aneurysm

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

RodgersLFC wrote: »
    Best live album for me would either be Alice In Chains (Unplugged)

I tip my hat to you sir. Superb choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭OldRio

It really depends on the mood you are in but since the question has been asked.

Space Ritual..... Hawkwind I saw the tour in 1970ish. Completely changed my musical life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Best live album for me would either be Alice In Chains (Unplugged) or Pink Floyd - Pulse.

I always knew a fellow Liverpool Fan would have immaculate taste. :D

As much as I love those albums, I don't consider it under Classic Rock. To me, Classic Rock should be the 70's and below.

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
    The Beatles - Let it Be
    The Doors - The Doors
    The Doors - Strange Days
    The Doors - LA Woman
    Pink Floyd - The Wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭stanley1

feats don't fail me now by little feat, superb band who opened for a lot of big bands and promptly blew them off the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mr bungle.

Alice in chains-face lift
    Alice in chains-dirt

I always knew a fellow Liverpool Fan would have immaculate taste. :D

As much as I love those albums, I don't consider it under Classic Rock. To me, Classic Rock should be the 70's and below.

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
    The Beatles - Let it Be
    The Doors - The Doors
    The Doors - Strange Days
    The Doors - LA Woman
    Pink Floyd - The Wall

Haha cheers :D

Some great albums you've listed there, although I must confess, I have never gotten into The Doors at all. Could you recommend a starter album? Self titled one or?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Haha cheers :D

Some great albums you've listed there, although I must confess, I have never gotten into The Doors at all. Could you recommend a starter album? Self titled one or?

Try the ones I've listed. I'd even recommend the 2nd Album, Strange Days. But if you must try just one, then go with LA Woman. Their first Album is like their Sgt. Pepper's while LA Woman is like their Let It Be. Meaning, it's Back-to-Basics. More Raw Rock and Roll and much easier to get into.

Try their other albums, only if you've already become a fan. Not that they are bad, far from it. It's just that they are more experimental and progressive in nature. But then again, you do listen to Pink Floyd, and they are not as "Out There" as the Floyd.

Not to mention, those albums does contain some really great songs. Here's 2 examples:
    DOORS - Roadhouse Blues - Morrison Hotel

The Best Rock & Roll/Blues Song, IMO.

DOORS - Shaman's Blues - Soft Parade

As someone who loves AIC's Bluesy songs, I know you're going to love this one.

And oh, do skip the ones without Jim Morrison, they are rubbish. :D

And the Album, American Prayer, maybe nice, but it might not tickle your fancy. Think Jim Morisson reciting his Poetry with The Doors Music as his backdrop. For fans only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Another vote for Appetite For Destruction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Hard to pick just one. It changes from week to week between:

The Beatles - The White Album
    Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
    The Clash - London Calling
    David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust (amongst other Bowie albums)
    The Doors - The Doors
    Lou Reed - Transformer
    The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
    The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico
    The Who - Who's Next

stanley1 wrote: »
    feats don't fail me now by little feat, superb band who opened for a lot of big bands and promptly blew them off the stage.

Their eponymous first album and Sailing Shoes are also class.

Try the ones I've listed. I'd even recommend the 2nd Album, Strange Days. But if you must try just one, then go with LA Woman. Their first Album is like their Sgt. Pepper's while LA Woman is like their Let It Be. Meaning, it's Back-to-Basics. More Raw Rock and Roll and much easier to get into.

Try their other albums, only if you've already become a fan. Not that they are bad, far from it. It's just that they are more experimental and progressive in nature. But then again, you do listen to Pink Floyd, and they are not as "Out There" as the Floyd.

Not to mention, those albums does contain some really great songs. Here's 2 examples:
    DOORS - Roadhouse Blues - Morrison Hotel

The Best Rock & Roll/Blues Song, IMO.

DOORS - Shaman's Blues - Soft Parade

As someone who loves AIC's Bluesy songs, I know you're going to love this one.

And oh, do skip the ones without Jim Morrison, they are rubbish. :D

And the Album, American Prayer, maybe nice, but it might not tickle your fancy. Think Jim Morisson reciting his Poetry with The Doors Music as his backdrop. For fans only.

Thanks a lot for the tips. I'll start with the first album and go from there. Cheers again :)

Thread really should be titled fav 20 classic rock albums - impossible to name just one as the one, because I tried that and the folliowng post mentioned Powerage that I had forgotton about. So sad real music is dead now, lost to the vultures of art destruction ala XFactor and that sort of mind numbing drek.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I can narrow it down to 2

Led Zeppelin II - Absolute legend of an album, the "tricky second album" has never imo been done better than this.

Or
    Dark Side of the Moon - Because its just a non-stop epic of awesome music, still hate Apple for fighting with them over the one-track 45, it is supposed to be listened to in one, kind of like just looking at Mona Lisa's smile. Brain Damage just puts the hairs on the back of my neck standing up, every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Cream - Disraeli Gears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

What a question. Couldn't pick really, but if pushed it might be Fireball or maybe even Who Do We Think we Are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Gotta love Neil Young & Crazy Horse Ragged Glory.

Advertisement