Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wild Nephin

• 14-09-2012 6:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭

I came across this project recently and it really captivated my imagination. It’s a proposal to allow extensive Coillte forests in the Nephin Beg range just east of the Ballycroy National park to 'rewild'. They claim to be combining the Coillte and NPWS land to set aside 8,000 hectares.
    http://www.self-willed-land.org.uk/articles/wild_nephin_project.pdf
    Also
    http://www.self-willed-land.org.uk/articles/wild_nephin.htm
    Based on the potential yield classes of what remains, Coillte has determined that they would make a financial loss if they tried to harvest conifers from the whole plantation.

Clearly its at a very early stage and partly motived to avoid losses. From what I gather they don't seem to making a large effort to replace the exotic conifers present with Scots Pine or native broad leaves. I was also confused why the land isn't just given to the NPWS to create an extended national park. All the same there is great potential.
    What do you folks think? What is the ecological potential of a naturalised conifer forest?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's a great idea. The area has been crying out for something like this. It's pretty much the largest wild area in the country. If they upgrade the trail a bit on the bangor trail and do what it says in that plan I could see it being very successful.

The only thing I'm not sure about is it seems they're intent on leaving the conifer forest intact? can't say I agree with the report saying it's an important habitat. i would like to see them fell the whole thing or at least large tracts of it and allow the land to be recolonised naturally, similar to what has been done in the forest at Clonbur. If they leave the conifers but somehow naturalise it I guess i would be ok with that but it would still involve felling most of the conifers to be of any worth imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The only thing I'm not sure about is it seems they're intent on leaving the conifer forest intact? can't say I agree with the report saying it's an important habitat. i would like to see them fell the whole thing or at least large tracts of it and allow the land to be recolonised naturally, similar to what has been done in the forest at Clonbur. If they leave the conifers but somehow naturalise it I guess i would be ok with that but it would still involve felling most of the conifers to be of any worth imo.

I feel really strongly about this point too. The manager mentions in the second link I gave he wants to see these forest naturalise in the way beech has naturalised in hardwood forests across the country.

I would argue that is flawed comparison as beech is native to Europe. It supports a great deal of typical European species which may be adapted to several European trees e.g. oak. The trees in Nephin are Lodge pole pine. An American species from a completely different habitat and even continent. Some would argue beech is a weed here too. I doubt anyone really knows what ecological role lodgepole pine would fulfil in NW Europe.

I can see money being an enormous barrier to replanting with natives but with enough leadership and hard-graft couldn't volunteers manage it. It would take years though. I would use Carrifran wildwood in Scotland as an example of how it could be done.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'd heard about this before; does anyone know if there are red squirrels in the existing forest? they do like pine forests.
    if not, i'd be interested to see how ringbarking the existing trees would work (albeit at a cost of probably not allowing people into those areas!).

but i do like the idea of letting nature take care of itself - it's well worth reading richard mabey or oliver rackham's opinions of man 'imposing' what he thinks should be in a landscape.
    rackham also makes an interesting argument about the whole idea of commercial forestry in the british isles - that it's done over such a long period, that people lose sight of the total economic cost, let alone the environmental one. e.g. it's a no-brainer for coillte to plan a clearfelling of a site and sell it for a short-term profit, while having forgotten how much that site cost over the previous 40 years to plant and maintain.

i'd heard about this before; does anyone know if there are red squirrels in the existing forest? they do like pine forests.
    if not, i'd be interested to see how ringbarking the existing trees would work (albeit at a cost of probably not allowing people into those areas!).

In the Coillte PDF above they make a passing reference to 'potential species introductions of red squirrel and black grouse'. So I guess their absent. Would squirrels infer with ringbacked trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

I know this area very well and spend time up there, but am not an ecologist.
    I've heard about this project for a few years now and it has wonderful potential, especially for outdoors 'green' low-impact tourism, like wild camping, hiking, survival skills, etc.
    It is a haven of otter, pine marten, red deer, ravens, kestrels, the odd passing eagle and more. There are no red (or grey) squirrels.
    However :
    First of all, this area is (with very few exceptions) a vast blanket bog, so broadleaf trees wouldn't stand a chance of thriving there. Any comparison with Clonbur (limestone pavement) is of little value, as the terrain is totally different.
    IMO if the place is left alone, what will happen is that the conifers will slowly die out, becoming suffocated / drowned by the bog.
    Second, Coillte and its sub-contractors continue to clear-fell large tracts of the area, leaving the usual landscape that looks like someone has come along and blanket-bombed the place. I guess I can understand that - they're cutting what they deem to be still feasible.
    Third, I suspect the Fisheries people will have a big say in any recreational activity that might take place along the very important river systems in the area.

What I would really love to see is a thinning of the existing conifers. They are so densely planted that there is no light getting in, with resultant no understorey (not even grass) and very low biodiversity, with incredibly few birds. However, I realise that's virtually impossible to achieve. Cutting every second or third tree out of a plantation is impractical and would leave the remaining ones susceptible to windthrow, as their root systems are so shallow.

So while I really look forward to the day the last tree fellers and lorries depart, you shouldn''t think it can be turned into some sort of beautiful native forest of oak, ash, holly, etc. like Killarney NP or Clonbur.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Connacht wrote: »
    I've heard about this project for a few years now and it has wonderful potential, especially for outdoors 'green' low-impact tourism, like wild camping, hiking, survival skills, etc.
    It is a haven of otter, pine marten, red deer, ravens, kestrels, the odd passing eagle and more. There are no red (or grey) squirrels.
    However :
    First of all, this area is (with very few exceptions) a vast blanket bog, so broadleaf trees wouldn't stand a chance of thriving there. Any comparison with Clonbur (limestone pavement) is of little value, as the terrain is totally different.
    IMO if the place is left alone, what will happen is that the conifers will slowly die out, becoming suffocated / drowned by the bog.
    Second, Coillte and its sub-contractors continue to clear-fell large tracts of the area, leaving the usual landscape that looks like someone has come along and blanket-bombed the place. I guess I can understand that - they're cutting what they deem to be still feasible.
    Third, I suspect the Fisheries people will have a big say in any recreational activity that might take place along the very important river systems in the area.

What I would really love to see is a thinning of the existing conifers. They are so densely planted that there is no light getting in, with resultant no understorey (not even grass) and very low biodiversity, with incredibly few birds. However, I realise that's virtually impossible to achieve. Cutting every second or third tree out of a plantation is impractical and would leave the remaining ones susceptible to windthrow, as their root systems are so shallow.

So while I really look forward to the day the last tree fellers and lorries depart, you shouldn''t think it can be turned into some sort of beautiful native forest of oak, ash, holly, etc. like Killarney NP or Clonbur.

YEa i'm from around the are too. i know its different to Clonbur in that regard, I just meant in the sense of letting nature take its course on the area. The area wouldn't be suitable for a broadleaf forest 9though there is that beautiful random mature oak tree along the Bangor Trail however it got there I'll never know :D).

I would have thought there are some trees more suitable to the area though? Like Rowan for example, and would Scotts Pine not be able to grow there?

I agree a thinning of the existing forest would be the best option but probably isn't feasible. As it is it's pretty much a desert unfortunately.

However :

Maybe its impractical to thin the forest that way but maybe they could ringbark 1 in 3 and leave them standing where they are. Alot of critters depend on dead wood.

I know broadleaf wouldn't develop into tall dense forest but surely rowan, birch, and oak in sheltered drier spots would grow as a scrub while wet spots staying more open. Thats the sort of vegetation which grows out in the cutover Born na mona bogs. thats were bog deal and oak comes from also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was wondering if ringbarking more than a certain amount of trees might lead to too great a fire risk?

i was wondering if ringbarking more than a certain amount of trees might lead to too great a fire risk?

I can't answer that but maybe with all that peat its a big worry.

I just noticed there was press coverage and critical discussion, from Dick Warner. http://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/dick-warner/good-and-bad-news-on-forestry-205373.html
    THE announcement that Coillte, in conjunction with the National Parks and Wildlife Service, is to develop 4,000 hectares of forestry in north Mayo as a wilderness area for conservation and amenity use is very good news. The land is on the eastern boundary of our newest National Park, around Ballycroy.

The National Park consists of one of the largest areas of unspoilt blanket bog left in western Europe and is also important for the conservation of salmon and sea trout because it contains most of the Owenduff river catchment. What amounts to an expansion of it, which will include much of Nephin Beg mountain, is welcome. Public consultations with local residents and land owners in the Keenagh area are underway.

But there is a background to this story which is not quite so positive. The reason Coillte is doing this is that the forestry in question has become a liability. The 4,000 hectares is planted with low-quality conifers. The cost of felling and extracting the timber in such a remote location would far exceed its market value. The problem is increased because when a plantation like this is clear-felled there is a legal obligation to re-plant it.

For over 100 years the State set annual planting quotas with the laudable aim of re-foresting Ireland and making us self-sufficient for timber. But the economics of forestry are always challenging because you’re planting a crop to be harvested in 40 or 50 years when market conditions are bound to be very different.

And the State has had a tendency to set ambitious planting quotas but to only provide enough money to buy the cheapest land, which was often very remote and not suitable for growing trees. There were also political considerations — state forestry on land that had agricultural potential was extremely unpopular with the electorate.

Many of the trees grew rapidly. This might seem like a competitive advantage but when conifers grow rapidly their annual growth rings are set further apart and this reduces the strength of the timber. Much of the product of Irish forests is only suitable for pulping.

The final nail in the coffin was the increase in global trade which meant timber could be imported cheaply.

A new wilderness area is a lovely idea but Coillte and the National Parks and Wildlife Service will have to come up with an imaginative solution about what to do with a very large number of value-less trees. A forestry plantation doesn’t have a huge amount of conservation value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Watched a programme about a native Scots pine forest in the Cairngorms on BBC last night. The idea of having a Scots Pine forest is really something. Would these tree be able to survive in this proposed park in Mayo?

• Advertisement

Watched a programme about a native Scots pine forest in the Cairngorms on BBC last night. The idea of having a Scots Pine forest is really something. Would these tree be able to survive in this proposed park in Mayo?

I'd imagine so, there's plenty of Scotts Pine in the surrounding area. The only thing is it would cost a lot of money to fell the forestry and replant it with scotts pine and other native species. The more I read about this the more I think Coillte are just leaving the forestry to rot and passing it off as conservation, as if most people will think the forestry actually has any value as a natural habitat, which it doesn't at the moment, apart from maybe cover for the deer in the area.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The only thing is it would cost a lot of money to fell the forestry and replant it with scotts pine and other native species. The more I read about this the more I think Coillte are just leaving the forestry to rot and passing it off as conservation, as if most people will think the forestry actually has any value as a natural habitat, which it doesn't at the moment, apart from maybe cover for the deer in the area.

I understand money is in short supply in the country right now but surely grants could be applied for internationally (eg EUs LIFE+) and/or it could be a long term voluntary project. The area involved is no greater than some projects handled by NGOs in Scotland. Even if the progress was very slow the result would be better than doing nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

Quote Mickeroo :
    "there's plenty of Scotts Pine in the surrounding area".
    There isn't.
    Ref the Dick Warner piece above, not for a minute would I think there's any genuine interest in conservation / wilderness creation / ecology / restoration on Coillte's behalf. It's pretty clear, I would suggest, that it's just a PR spin exercise for abandoning a crap plantation.
    Getting out there for hiking is still great fun tho !

(sorry, I've no idea how ye do that Quote box thing)

Quote Mickeroo :
    "there's plenty of Scotts Pine in the surrounding area".
    There isn't.
    Ref the Dick Warner piece above, not for a minute would I think there's any genuine interest in conservation / wilderness creation / ecology / restoration on Coillte's behalf. It's pretty clear, I would suggest, that it's just a PR spin exercise for abandoning a crap plantation.
    Getting out there for hiking is still great fun tho !

(sorry, I've no idea how ye do that Quote box thing)

Just click the quote button on my post :)

I didn't mean to suggest there's a Scott's Pine forest in the area or anything but there's a fair bit of it growing near Mulranny on the achill road, and another large wooded area past achill sound with a lot too.

It's pretty clear, I would suggest, that it's just a PR spin exercise for abandoning a crap plantation.
    one would wonder how many other plantations they have like this; how long ago was ballycroy planted?

one would wonder how many other plantations they have like this; how long ago was ballycroy planted?

Started in the 1950s and continued into the 1980s.

I suspect there is a lot of smaller early private plantings also in a poor state.

Whether or not Scot pine would grow there is probably a water table issue. I am guessing the water table has been lowered for the conifers, due to drains /iron pan being broken up. Trees already growing there discourages waterlogging too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

IMO if the place is left alone, what will happen is that the conifers will slowly die out, becoming suffocated / drowned by the bog....
    The windthrow effect tends to happen when they cut away half a plantation. Suddenly the trees that were previously sheltered in the centre find themselves at the edge, exposed to the full force of the wind, and they start falling like dominoes.
    If they were thinned out 1 in 3, the stronger edge trees would still be in place. The problem would be more of a logistical and safety one. Without being able to get machinery in, a lot of the felled or ringbarked trees would get caught up in the branches of other trees, creating a hazard. Maybe it could be done by a team equipped with chainsaws and horses.
    Scots Pine has a deep taproot that gives it the advantage in these windy situations. Long term it would be good to establish a few groves. In the meantime though, I would keep the Lodgepole or whatever is there. Personally I think this idea that wildlife shuns "non native" trees is well overcooked.

The whole bogs versus trees thing deserves more research. A lot of the mountainsides that are too wet for broadleaf trees now, were once covered in oaks. I've often picked up a piece of wet bog oak and wondered about that. Maybe the climate was a bit warmer, but also the bog seems to hold any rainfall once it gets established, whereas trees dry out the land.

A great project though, regardless of Coilltes reasons for giving up the plantation.

too wet for broadleaf because of soil degradation due to leaching, or just too wet? i've been in both derryclare and glengarriff woods, and both seemed fairly healthy, especially the former.

too wet for broadleaf because of soil degradation due to leaching, or just too wet? i've been in both derryclare and glengarriff woods, and both seemed fairly healthy, especially the former.

Both are inter related. Work has being done comparing some of the surviving upland woods like Uragh wood in Kerry to non-wooded areas and here is what they found
    Oak wood clearance has resulted in changes in soil morphological, physical and chemical properties. Increased effective precipitation and reduction in nutrient cycling has caused greater podzolisation in well drained areas and has resulted in a greater degree of hydromorphism (sic waterlogging) in the poorly drained areas. The accumulation of surface organic material, evident in many of the soils in the cleared area, with or without the development of an iron pan, is a precursor to the formation of blanket peat.
    Soil responses to land-use change – a study in south-west Ireland
    D.A Cunninghama, E.P Farrella,J.F Collins. 1999

There is a good article on this topic from Scotland http://www.treesforlife.org.uk/forest/ecological/bogwoodland.html

On the otherhand whether planting trees really breaks the cycle is another question.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There are a few of what look like attempts at Scots pine plantations in Wicklow, one near Donard springs to mind, but they never seem to grow properly. They're very stunted and the trunks seem to twist and turn and get all tangled up with their neighbours, more like large misshapen shrubs than proper trees.

That hasn't stopped whoever owns them attempting to harvest them though, but boy did they leave a trail of devastation behind them, along with half the 'trees'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,629 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I was talking to a chap that has knowledge of this project and I can tell you there is alot of excitement about it in conservation circles. Currently they are looking into the Black Grouse angle since it would make ideal habitat for this bird. Now currently there is no direct evidence that this bird was ever native but there is alot of "circumstantial" evidence from old texts going back to the 8th centuary. Problem is that historical accounts tended not to differenciate between this bird and the Capercaille which we know was native from remains found in ancient and medieval refuse heaps and pretty definative historical accounts. Alot of work is now going into this with a view to a possible re-introduction once the neccessary definative proof is confirmed.:)

we should clear mayo and release wolves into it.

we should clear mayo and release wolves into it.

Joking aside:p - if Ballycroy NP was joined up with all the BnM and Coillte land in nearby areas like Sheskin, Glenamoy etc. you would have a massive protected area that would certainly open exciting oppurtunaties to creat a real wilderness zone of the type you get on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I'm doing a bit of volunteer work around the Bangor trail area at the moment and the first thing i noticed was the total lack of wildlife in the area! Seemingly this is due to the habitat, blanket bog e.t.c, but it seem's such a waste considering the vast area involved!!

The placename Mayo derives from "Plain of the Yew trees".
    Archaeology around the Ceide Fields indicates that the area was a pine forest when the first settlers arrived.
    A lot of people assume that the barren heather clad mountains we see around Ireland today are the natural ecosystem, but they are often only the result of deforestation followed by intensive sheep grazing.

Eddie B wrote: »
    I'm doing a bit of volunteer work around the Bangor trail area at the moment and the first thing i noticed was the total lack of wildlife in the area! Seemingly this is due to the habitat, blanket bog e.t.c, but it seem's such a waste considering the vast area involved!!

The time of year probably doesn't help - most breeding birds leave this type of habitat once the season is over.

Oh the potential. I wonder who got this parcel of North Mayo

1,000 acres of Land for sale with Wind Farm potential at Bellacorick, Co. Mayo

http://www.myhome.ie/commercial/brochure/1-000-acres-of-land-for-sale-with-wind-farm-potential-at-bellacorick-co-mayo/1256432

There is already a windfarm at Bellacorrick on the worked-out bog. I understand there is a difficulty in getting wind power licences these days due to the inability of the ESB to cope with the fluctuations in supply.
    On the subject of mountain windfarms, if combined with mixed woodlands on the lower slopes, a nice income-generating, wildlife-rich ecosystem could develop, notwithstanding some danger to some birds from the turbine blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mecksimay

Eddie B wrote: »

On the contrary, Ballycroy National Park and the Nephin Beg Mountain Range is full of wildlife, see http://www.ballycroynationalpark.ie/wildlife.html and http://www.ballycroynationalpark.ie/Habitats.html for more information on what is to be seen.

At this time of year you may be lucky enough to see some Greenland White Fronted Geese! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Eddie B

mecksimay wrote: »
    On the contrary, Ballycroy National Park and the Nephin Beg Mountain Range is full of wildlife, see http://www.ballycroynationalpark.ie/wildlife.html and http://www.ballycroynationalpark.ie/Habitats.html for more information on what is to be seen.

At this time of year you may be lucky enough to see some Greenland White Fronted Geese! :D

I'll drop ya up there one of the morning's with your camera! You can post your results on here!!! o and photo's of sheep don't count!!!:D:D:D:D

Advertisement