Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Today I did something to my bike thread...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Today I (with a lot of help) got my old pedals off and my shimano spd pedals on.
    Did about 20km then with my new mtb shoes and the pedals and had no falls.
    I noticed a significant difference with the new shoes

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

New tyres. Yellowy goodness!
    20140104_151337_zpspfdbnxwg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Yellowy goodness!
    Yellow Goodness continuoes. My old bar tape had about 1500 hours of riding on it already, so decided to replace it with a new one:

11754392935_e07d8a9f82_z.jpg

In action:

11754929664_3030464945_z.jpg

11755259756_78d81c84f8_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

You are looking awfully skinny in that last picture ^^ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yellow jersey is pushing it, even in the off season. :pac:

• Advertisement

V5y0o2H.jpg

Zyzz wrote: »
    You are looking awfully skinny in that last picture ^^ :pac:
    A bit too skinny. Looks like my internal organs were screaming for a dinner :pac:.
    Lumen wrote: »
    Yellow jersey is pushing it, even in the off season. :pac:
    That's only arm warmers :D.

Zyzz wrote: »
    ...[IMG][/img]
    :D

Jeez, that's some painting restoration skills :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Seweryn wrote: »
    Yellow Goodness continuoes. My old bar tape had about 1500 hours of riding on it already, so decided to replace it with a new one:

11754392935_e07d8a9f82_z.jpg

In action:

11754929664_3030464945_z.jpg

11755259756_78d81c84f8_z.jpg

They're very long cables in the first picture!

letape wrote: »
    They're very long cables in the first picture!
    They got "longer", as I replaced the handlebards with 20mm narrower at the same time (same model bars).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

After exactly 24 hours travelling and hoping all the ground staff in Baltimore, Boston and Dublin airports were going to treat my carefully packed box nicely, I unwrapped this first thing...

11780806136_18e0cd6e57_c.jpg

Went for a nap, got back up and fought the jetlag by starting on it...

11780026675_f6aed0fe04_c.jpg

11780020205_d5bd2c40bf_c.jpg

11780785806_18dcc3b197_c.jpg

Hitting the 'Order' button on Wiggle as soon as my head is clear to get the rest of the parts before the week is out.

Then I fitted a new VO saddle on herself's bike...

11780800346_c51b5b9aa8_c.jpg

Not a bad days work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

New continental gatorskin tyres fitted and fitted new brake inserts onto my tank ( i mean my training bike) :-). Should do me for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭denbatt

Got a cadence sensor off santa, finally got it set up and working, unfortunately can only fit with the arm in the up position though :-(,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I found 19 gears down the back of the couch so put them on my ss cx bike for the nationals next week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

lennymc wrote: »
    I found 19 gears down the back of the couch so put them on my ss cx bike for the nationals next week.

Bet you'll still only use 1 ;)

Joined the yellowy goodness bar tape club too!
    image_zps869ba652.jpg

From this...

11780026675_f6aed0fe04_c.jpg

To this...

12020342003_20cb58eb13_o.png

Tomorrow, dropping the saddle, bar tape, front rack and a ride. Ahem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I took a cheap ebay frame:

12086437673_473eb20416_c.jpg

and built it up into this :-)

12086442543_0c443431bf_z.jpg

Lovely job! Those shifters look a little off though, or my eyesight is letting me down! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

You are right, I just come back from a 30k test run and one must have been very slightly loose. A few other small adjustments and I have found my steed for the ROK.

I love it, 9.4kg fully loaded and makes a very smooth ride.

• Advertisement

Beaut!

Finally after a pretty crappy month of commuting to work, I cleaned up the bike and fitted Crud roadracer mk2's, I had to cut the wider section behind the crank as their was just no way it would line up otherwise(anyone else have that problem?) Anyway Hopefully these will make the ol commute a little more comfortable and keep the bike a little cleaner;)

mud_zpsb24c2482.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I did my first proper bit of bike maintenance today. The chain was dropping a little when freewheeling so rather than getting it tangled in the spokes/ ripping the derailleur off and all that merriment I decided to take the rear hub apart, get the cassette off and lube up the freewheel.
    All went well after the initial "Oh sh!te there's ballbearings everywhere". Probably should have looked at Youtube before I started:rolleyes:
    Took my time, cleaned everything, greased it up, put it back together and now it's spinning like new.
    I made my own chain whip tool too, no point doing DIY if you can't get a bit Maguyver with it :)
    2ccm2z4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

denbatt wrote: »
    Finally after a pretty crappy month of commuting to work, I cleaned up the bike and fitted Crud roadracer mk2's, I had to cut the wider section behind the crank as their was just no way it would line up otherwise(anyone else have that problem?) Anyway Hopefully these will make the ol commute a little more comfortable and keep the bike a little cleaner;)

mud_zpsb24c2482.jpg

Have those on my bike. Great for keeping a large percentage of gunk off mechs as well as oneself. Had to cut a bit off rear guard as well - think they are designed like that as may need longer to fit some bikes properly.

SRAM garmin mount finally arrived from the states this morning
    image_zpsa207f69e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

Today I fitted a new Prologo Nago Evo Pro T2.0 saddle and a 3T Dorico LTD carbon seat post. I also put on a SRAM out front holder for my Garmin.... it got a scrub too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fitted the following to my F5

Prologo Kappa Evo PAS with Italian flag clip
    Deda Zero1 stem,
    Ritchey WCS Stream bars
    Prologo double touch tape
    SRAM mount for the Bryton 20 I bought myself for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Diggabot

3T stem, 3T carbon top cap and carbon spacers fitted :)

Fitted an Ultegra 6800 36/52 mid compact today. Yum yum

• Advertisement

Some SKS mudguards and some other finishing bits came along for my 'good' bike today. After getting a wet arse, soggy feet and road crap on my chainset on a recent stormy spin, I was really looking forward to getting a set of full mudguards on it. Went straight at it, but lacked some confidence, fiddled around until the wheels ran smoothly, took a step back and... It looked horrible. Gah!

They came right off and they're waiting beside my 'town' bike - Job for Monday evening. Should have saved up and went for these.

Advertisement