Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed camera mega-thread ***Read first post before posting***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

As matters stand and given our currently fast driving fast inclinations, seems to me we will have 10 to 20% of our motorists off the road within 3 months of Day1Camera Op. Then we can enter into the second phase of that exercise which has to do with not revealing Penalty Points to the insurer and not handing up the D/Licence and driving while banned, etc,. Agh....sure it'll be grand watching the police sorting out that lot.

Anyone know if it's compulsory to inform your insurer of P/Points against your name ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

like all things insurance related it'll certainly cause you hassle or possibly void your policy if you fail to inform them of any change in circumstances including penalty points. They give discounts based on points so I wouldn't recommend withholding info from them ... they will find out one way or another

Abraham wrote: »
    As matters stand and given our currently fast driving fast inclinations, seems to me we will have 10 to 20% of our motorists off the road within 3 months of Day1Camera Op. Then we can enter into the second phase of that exercise which has to do with not revealing Penalty Points to the insurer and not handing up the D/Licence and driving while banned, etc,. Agh....sure it'll be grand watching the police sorting out that lot.

Anyone know if it's compulsory to inform your insurer of P/Points against your name ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

gunners89 wrote: »
    well they will get u goin the other way,they can work on upto 4 lanes at a time

Reg on my bike is tiny and is half covered by my tax disc. Do your worst boys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Gymsey

Not wrote: »
    So, they havn't moved to km/h yet....

In the context of the conversation at the time it was discussed in mph.... I hope I haven't confused you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Gymsey wrote: »
    I was talking to one of the lads who'll be operating the vans in Limerick. He was telling me they did a trial on friday on the road from Limerick to Abbeyfeale direction. They clocked 205 cars, of which 193 speeding! He also informed me that his job is basically to make sure the cameras are operating, he said if he saw his own wife heading down the road theres nothing he could do.
    He said they clocked a motor bike doing 120mph!!! He'd one of those small number plates on the bike that garda cameras struggle to read, but with their cameras it could be read as clear as day.

And for anyone around limerick.... there is one white van, two orange vans and one red van.

Not familiar with the road in question unfortunately, but how did he define "speeding" - ie: will automatic fines/points be issued for 1/2 km over or will there be a bit of cop on and discretion used as (in fairness) AGS do by all accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭2hellr2conaght

They were testing outside Roscrea a few weeks ago. One van on either side of the road. They were the big IVECO vans, one was white and the other was like an ESB coloured van but they were very big. Black tinted glass on the back but one of the windows is only tinted half way for the lenses.
    Iveco Daily is what they are called. Was told when I back here that they were out testing for the last few weeks. My friend went for an interview with the company who was operating them. She was told by the interviewer, ''you do realise this is a mind numbingly boring job''. Think she may have been over qualified.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Saw one of those vans parked on old Ballinteer road in Dundrum, Dublin this afternoon about 3pm. For those of you unfamiliar with this road,its a small road past a housing estate.

That's a residential area with several schools around, the perfect spot for a speed camera. The speeds people do on that road are too high. There are very few places with 50km/h limits that aren't built up so they should have most of the speed traps there.

Is the speed detection equipment always assumed to be calibrated correctly since it's a private company, out to make a profit, or is it just our Gardaí who are assumed to be correct all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭germanator

ive seen the first one around waterford today, was a dark navy transit, 10ky2246 pulled in a gateway in front of a field, i turned around to hav a look and pulled right up behind them to block the cam after about 10 mins they moved on, so i followed and when they pulled in i pulled back in behind them and they drove off straight away lol.
    was talking to another lad in one in the city he said there just out being tested for the next week but after that will be in full operation

just take the car out of your name and put it in a friends/relatives name from england who bought the car while at your address!!!! that way any fines will be in their name so nothing to do with you!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

germanator wrote: »
    just take the car out of your name and put it in a friends/relatives name from england who bought the car while at your address!!!! that way any fines will be in their name so nothing to do with you!!

Real nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Yesterday on Celbridge to Lucan road -the skinny one with no hard shoulder -saw a white Transit with 'Garda' written on side in beside cemetery.Not sure if I was 'much/enough' over limit to get points.Its a 60kmh zone as far as I know Id say I was doing an INDICATED (high!?) seventy something if had to hazard a guess.Hopefully the car speedo is a good bit optimistic -certainly the mileometer is (and NO they arent always in synch -bizarelly old Fiats had speedos that were way off but the mileometer was spot on .This could be worked out by driving at exactly 60mph for a minute and measuring indicated distance NOT A MILE- and then comparing the indicated mile ON CLOCK with the measured one .)
    Anyway this stretch of road is NOT on the Garda website and Id say to be honest the private companies will disregard any 'official' spots for mounting checks also.We could all be in BIG trouble ...ironically when I was ('nearly' -fingers crossed)caught yesterday I was several days into a very conscious effort to drive really slowly(approx 68mph on motorways and 62 on 'main roads') and economically to see what the best MPG I could get on a tank of fuel .If they want to catch you they will, end of ...if you were to follow every speed limit ,exactly, you would go out of your mind ...

So presumably this isnt illegal at least at the first parking spot ?Id be curious to 'have a look' too if I saw one!And if his view were blocked all the better.Would they be entitled to call the Gardai?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Flyer1 wrote: »
    2 white transits on the cork road all day yesterday. :rolleyes:

Road was very quiet when I passed so i crawled by for a good look, 2 men inside each van at the time.

Was one of them Neil Prendeville?

ytareh wrote: »
    So presumably this isnt illegal at least at the first parking spot ?Id be curious to 'have a look' too if I saw one!And if his view were blocked all the better.Would they be entitled to call the Gardai?
    well i cant see how it would be, because in parking behind it your not actually going near the van itself and its a public road so you can park wherever you want (where your allowed stop of course) and if it so happens the van is in front of you thats their problem!!! now if you got out and actually went near the van they could call the cops and you could be charged with somthing but as for just parking behind and getting in their way theres nothing they can do!!! and anyway, the vans are just plain vans, not marked garda vans or anything so as far as your concerned its just someone pulled in for a rest or broke down or mabey on the phone ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Is it not dangerous to park on a hard shoulder?

If there was a collison would they not have to accept some liability for parking in an dangerous and illegal place especially while they are conducting a business.

If I come across them I shall be phoning the Gardaí with concerns that a suspicious van has parked up and I think kids are doing drugs in the back :D

thats exactly what i was thinking of doing ;)
    gardai always urge people to report vehicles acting suspicious!!!

as for the parking, yes as far as i was aware the hard shoulder is only for emergency stops as in if the car is broke down, your on the phone etc, not for conducting a buisness... Although the strawberry trailors are always parked on them when there out and i never heard of any of them getting done for being there so im not 2 sure :confused:

well its one way out of it!!! and another thing i know personally of people doing, now im not saying to anyone to do this or condoning it, its just what i know some people have done. when they have got the speeding fine they took the car out of their name and back dated the sale dat about a week or 2 before the date the speeding actually happened and that way when the fine isnt paid and a summons is to be issued and the reg is checked again its sale date predates the offence so the person originally fined is cleared and its too late to fine the person whos name the car is in now so nothing can be done :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

germanator wrote: »
    well its one way out of it!!! and another thing i know personally of people doing, now im not saying to anyone to do this or condoning it, its just what i know some people have done. when they have got the speeding fine they took the car out of their name and back dated the sale dat about a week or 2 before the date the speeding actually happened and that way when the fine isnt paid and a summons is to be issued and the reg is checked again its sale date predates the offence so the person originally fined is cleared and its too late to fine the person whos name the car is in now so nothing can be done :p

...good, because the Charter asks you not to :).

As such, can I ask everyone not to discuss ways to avoid getting "got" through dubious means, including things that you would never do but have heard that other people tried and seemed to work?

Thanks

will do ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Bumpstop

I have been giving this some. of thought over the last few weeks.
    I am a car and addict, and rarley would have any regard for posted limits.
    However My love of cars and driving, would really be hampered by losing my license, or increased insurance costs due to points.
    I can just about afford to run that lovley old car( to me) I have.

So what to do.
    Okay for the last two weeks I have been obeying the speed limits, I mean all the time, all limits. My main driving is M50 and 120KMH roads. At first the 100 KMH limit on the M50 seems ridiculously slow, but after a while (about 10 journeys) you get used to it. The up side is when you get to 120 KMH roads you feel like you are flying, it's hard to believe it's legal.

A lot of the limits seem very low to me, and even gentle braking ( or just lifting off ) for a 80 KMH sign in a 120 KMH area causes consternation and almost accidents to those around you. However as this bites I guess more people will obey the limits, and this will get easier.

A bad thing is, driving fast and weaving in and out of 3 lanes of traffic takes concentration and situational awareness, this keeps you glued to your seat and awake. Driving at 100 KMH for twenty minutes make me just switch off with boredom, and I have travelled miles without noticing, scary.
    Anyway it's not too bad you get used to it, I hope to remain a reformed person(though I don't like it).

I guess this will be like the smoking ban, there will be uproar initially and after a while, it will seem hard to remember at time when you could just boot around.

P.S. I bet they mess up the legislation, and some loophole will be found, for the use of private contractors.

Sorryfor the long post, my humble thoughts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

any way around these Fu((ers at the mo ? pm me with ways please.

Or the thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

duckysauce wrote: »
    any way around these Fu((ers at the mo ? pm me with ways please.

Or the thread :)

keep to the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭brocdubh

couple of thing about these speed cameras that will have to be cleared up.
    1,construction and use regulations state that"a speedometer/odometer must be accurate within 10%"so if your clock says 48kmh and theirs says 52kmh,legal argument ?
    2,are they allowed to set up on private property ?,there is one of these vans parked in a private drive on the tralee /listowel road.
    3,who is and how often are their cameras/speed sensors going to be calibrated,sit in a car park with your gps on and see what i mean,watch your speed,gps cant be used as a base line zero !
    4,private company,omg remember what is/was happening with the ncts,make it up as you go along.:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭brocdubh

cian1500ww wrote: »
    How much are they costing the taxpayer??
    about £149.00 plus p&p for a snooper speed trap/gatso detector.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

There was one of these positioned southbound on the R132 (old N1) out of Drogheda this morning. Passed it about 06.50.

It's a nice wide piece of road, with wide hard shoulders, very few houses and was formally a 100kph stretch. I've been travelling that piece of road more or less daily for the last 13 years and haven't seen anything even remotely resembling an incident in that area.

I also wouldn't think it's a know area for speeding as most people tend to keep to the 80kph limit.

Hopefully, whoever is operating the camera will have a very dull few hours before giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cookie2010

R.O.R wrote: »
    There was one of these positioned southbound on the R132 (old N1) out of Drogheda this morning. Passed it about 06.50.

It's a nice wide piece of road, with wide hard shoulders, very few houses and was formally a 100kph stretch. I've been travelling that piece of road more or less daily for the last 13 years and haven't seen anything even remotely resembling an incident in that area.

I also wouldn't think it's a know area for speeding as most people tend to keep to the 80kph limit.

Hopefully, whoever is operating the camera will have a very dull few hours before giving up.

yeah seen that one myself this morning , was about 7.10 coming down the road and noticed it .. wasnt speeding was around the 80 km mark , do them vans flash or anything ?? if u are speeding >?? noticed the guy on front of me he was going maybe close to 100km ? but didnt flash ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭positron

That van was there 6:40am as well - other half was driving just below 80 on the dial, which is usually 72 to 74 on GPS. It's nice wide part of the road and the road remains wide and clear on the Dublin direction and there's absolutely no point speed checking there, other than trying to make some quick bucks.

However, I have noticed that some morning commuters are very impatient, especially around L drivers (other half has a L sticker) and wouldn't think twice about overtaking over continuous line, doing 80 before 80 zone starts etc (in front of the old Europa hotel in particular..)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Dithane

Garda camera van (white Transit with Garda markings on) outside Diep Noodle in Ranelagh village last night around 11 O'Clock.

Watching traffic heading into town.

Was this due to orders within Gardai being confused?

Around this area, I thought there were more young lads ON speed than
    cars breaking the limit?

Confused.

If theres 4 of these infernal vans targetted at Limerick how many are in Greater Dublin Area!?193 out of 205 cars 'speeding' in test !!!???If they have no 'leeway' (at least 10kmh -its only 6mph after all-there was uproar in UK when they started getting people at 35mph in 30 zones AND it was like driving in a funeral procession)we WILL all be off the road in 6 months...or at least the 95% in test above ...the remaining 'supersaints' can post here about how we got our just deserts ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

draffodx wrote: »
    I think the private gatso's will flash and have garda and a safety message on them.

What your seeing now is actually them in a testing phase

I'll believe that when I see it. Extremely unlikely.

Advertisement