Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Formula 1 2019 - General Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I guess C4 understand their business model better than I do.
    Having to watch a few ads is a small inconvenience when we get to watch their great coverage for nothing.

(I still miss KC from C4, not the same appreciation of him from the Sky crowd)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭uchimata83

flazio wrote: »
    They can't "pretend it's live". The advertisers pay more for in race adverts then the supporting material because a lot of people will switch on when the race starts and switch off when the race is over. If you give the viewer the chance to not see ads then the advertisers will stay away and Channel 4 will either have to quit altogether or bring in more drastic cost cutting such as commentating from England rather than on site. Ads are a necessary evil in order to to keep the show going. The BBC can't afford it right now.

I may be wrong, but up to this year it was used as a live feed and edited afterwards. The commentary was live and then edited afterwards, sometimes you'd notice them recapping the race after x number of laps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭flexcon

uchimata83 wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but up to this year it was used as a live feed and edited afterwards. The commentary was live and then edited afterwards, sometimes you'd notice them recapping the race after x number of laps.

Still the case. Their commentary is used for international feeds, such as in AUS and up to recently Setanta/Eir

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

flexcon wrote: »
    Still the case. Their commentary is used for international feeds, such as in AUS and up to recently Setanta/Eir

As far as I'm aware, Sky won't let Channel 4 sell their commentary to other organisations anymore, if you're watching the races anywhere in the world in English commentary you're listening to David Croft and Martin Brundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

As far as I'm aware, Sky won't let Channel 4 sell their commentary to other organisations anymore, if you're watching the races anywhere in the world in English commentary you're listening to David Croft and Martin Brundle.

Off topic but I read somewhere that Martin Brundle is worth 100 million. Could that be right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

No issue with Brundle bar the infatuation with Hamilton. Croft is just an utter idiot full stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Haas-Formel-1-2019-inlineImageC-9257d3d1-1629850.jpg
    Haas without Rich Energy sponsorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,618 ✭✭✭Infoanon

No change at Haas for 2020 confirmed - looks like Hulk is out of F1

Infoanon wrote: »
    No change at Haas for 2020 confirmed - looks like Hulk is out of F1

He's a long shot for both Red Bull & Alfa Romeo now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Jesus, Haas seem to have a similar affliction as those people who compulsively cut themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

He's a long shot for both Red Bull & Alfa Romeo now.

Fairly sure Gio is confirmed for next year...? i think Hulk is out

• Registered Users Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Grosjean development of the car seems to be keeping him there.

Hulks only hope is RB dropping Gasly and giving Hulk the deal until they've a driver developed to come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Long shot for Hulk is if Vettel decides to retire.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

pjohnson wrote: »
    Grosjean development of the car seems to be keeping him there.

Maybe this time they'll listen to his input before having to revert all the way back to the pre-season specs :P

astrofluff wrote: »

Stranger things have happened, after Abu Dhabi 2016 who would've thought Bottas would be in the Mercedes the following March?

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Stupid decision by Haas. The only rationale I can think of is that Gene is considering whether or not to continue in the sport and needs to keep things the way they are until he reaches a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Is ocon joining renault next year, I think he's a great talent and could do pretty well if renault can sort their engine out

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Is ocon joining renault next year, I think he's a great talent and could do pretty well if renault can sort their engine out

Yep beside Ricciardo.

Perez apparently has a bout of food poisoning today so Ocon may be on standby for tomorrow to hop into the Racing Point one last time.

pjohnson wrote: »
    Yep beside Ricciardo.

Perez apparently has a bout of food poisoning today so Ocon may be on standby for tomorrow to hop into the Racing Point one last time.

Be grand if he did and made a holy show of Stroll

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭patmahe

Haas retaining Grosjean is a decision I simply don't understand, what has he ever done in F1 to make people think he has any significant prospects for the future. He is not champion material or does he contribute massively in some other way I don't know about? Even if they didn't go for Hulkenberg they could have taken a chance on an up and coming driver from the lower formulae with minimal risk.

Keeping Grosjean for 2019 surprised me, keeping him again for 2020 feels like paralysis and indecision rather than a shrewd move.

Word doing the rounds that Kubica might be off to Racing Point as Test Driver, apparently he has an excellent relationship with the Stroll's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

That will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

It's all kicking off again, Kubica is leaving Williams at the end of the season
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-williams-2020-exit/4543777/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

patmahe wrote: »
    Haas retaining Grosjean is a decision I simply don't understand, what has he ever done in F1 to make people think he has any significant prospects for the future. He is not champion material or does he contribute massively in some other way I don't know about? Even if they didn't go for Hulkenberg they could have taken a chance on an up and coming driver from the lower formulae with minimal risk.

Keeping Grosjean for 2019 surprised me, keeping him again for 2020 feels like paralysis and indecision rather than a shrewd move.

The bolded bit is spot on, Steiner was talking about the car being a big factor, and because they don't understand it better not to change the drivers because at least they know them. :pac:

Grosjean is infuriatingly inconsistent, how can they reasonably expect to improve the car when they don't have confidence that the driver is delivering every time he gets in it. Steiner also mentioned the fact that Grosjean knows the team and how they do things was a big part of the decision, I guess it hasn't dawned on Haas that potentially how they operate is part of their problem and some fresh input would do them good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/haas-hulkenberg-grosjean-close-call/4543716/

As I have previously said, Grosjean was offering solutions and ideas on how to solve the instability in the car as opposed to criticising the car and this is why I think he was retained.

Magnusssen is not the most consistent driver on the grid either and tends to have a book of complaints about the car when things dont go his way. He was the same in Renault before Haas too.

Haas are getting to a stage where the right driver will elevate them to a fight with the big boys and they need 2 new drivers if you ask me.

skipper_G wrote: »
    It's all kicking off again, Kubica is leaving Williams at the end of the season
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/kubica-williams-2020-exit/4543777/

Did he jump of his own volition or was he pushed I’d really love to know

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Did he jump of his own volition or was he pushed I’d really love to know

Either way it’s great he is gone. Kubica has no business been in a actual race seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    That will never happen.

Never say never. In words of Murray Walker, anything can happen in Formula 1. As stated, long shot. I wouldn't expect it myself, and something could happen with another team as well. But we should ask this question: if Vettel decides to retire this year, who is most likely to replace him? Danny Ric?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,256 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No top driver looming to win a championship will take a seat beside le clerc.
    Hulk would be a great option I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement