Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silestone Quartz Worktop Repairs - Galway

• 18-09-2019 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

We put on an extension last year and with that put in a new kitchen with a Silestone Quartz worktop. We paid a fortune for the worktop because we thought it would be good quality and worth it over time. In the space of a year, the sealings around the joins have started to come away and there are a couple of chips on the edges. The company based in Galway that fitted the Quartz worktop have gone out of business and now we have no come back at all. Our previous kitchen had a granite worktop for 15 years and there was never a mark on it in all that time, it was perfect.
    We cannot find anybody in Galway to repair the chips and sealings/joins. The only other company in the area, say they are too busy and don't want to touch something another company has done. I can understand that to a point, but it doesn't seem like great customer service either.
    What are you supposed to do in this situation. Considering what we paid, its absolutely ridiculous to be in this situation.
    Is Quartz not as strong as granite, is that why it is chipping so easily or maybe its the quality of what we got.....

would welcome any ideas anyone might have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Very strange. Both my sisters have quartz worktops, both are very busy houses with young children, so the worktops get plenty of abuse and they seem to be 100% perfect. So it sounds like whatever you have isn't up to scratch at all.

How about calling into a couple of the local kitchen suppliers to see if they can help? Most of the kitchen guys outsource the supply/fit of quartz to 3rd parties, but they may recommend their supplier or know of someone who can do repairs.

Interested to hear if anyone has an answer to this. We got a brand new kitchen put in to our refurbished house in May and last week I managed to drop a bone China mug from a top shelf on to edge of the worktop and took a nice chip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GalwayUsr

Thanks, we were not even aware that we needed to register the worktop or that there was a 25 year warranty on it. Not sure what our position is now. I have sent an email to Silestone, will see what I get back. Its so frustrating when you pay so much money for something and then can't get anybody to address small little issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Well I'm planning a new kitchen with Silestone at the moment and so was doing some research, found this thread.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2568687/silestone-experience

I would summarize as:

- It can be repaired.
    - Bullnose (round) is a much safer choice than any kind of sharp edge (square or complex profile)
    - The warranty is worthless for chips and stains because they're counted as abuse.

On this last point, obvs check the detail of the warranty. Even if you're not covered, it helps to understand what you're missing out on.

Did you buy the silestone direct of through kitchen company? The issue here is that you might be able to claim under standard 2 year EU law against faulty goods, or goods that don't look or work as advertised, but I suspect that would relate the the company who sold you the goods, not the original manufacturer, so if the kitchen fitter has gone out of business you may have no recourse. But that's a consumer advice issue, not construction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 GalwayUsr

Thanks for that.
    Before the company had gone out of business they had already done a repair on a chip on the edge, so I know at least it can be repaired. We have a square edge on ours and I genuinely believe it is brittal, it is chipping too easily. Usually if you drop something on it or give it a hard bang well you might expect to see a chip occur, but in our case, we cannot account for the chips.
    The joins on ours are poor as well I can actually see dirt starting to gather in one area which is not good.

We bought the worktop from a Granite and Marble company that was recommended by the kitchen company. So our exchanges were directly with the granite and marble company for the worktops and it is them that is now gone out of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I realise this is old, but thought I'd add a recommendation so that people searching can find it... Someone dropped a glass in my kitchen, took a penny sized chip out of the silestone, then proceeded to superglue it back in and made sh!te of the worktop...

I was recommended Rock Doctor & was expecting them to remove the chip and fill it... instead, the shaved the edge, new chamfer & repolished... they did a great job and it took less than an hour.

Can't recommend them enough. I'm based in Dublin, but they seem to be based in the south/south east...

Advertisement