Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motherless Brooklyn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,905 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Edward Norton writer (screenplay) and director

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

May not be the Oscar magnet that I first thought it would be...

https://www.metacritic.com/movie/motherless-brooklyn

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Whatever about the reviews, I just have no interest in this movie.

Can't fathom why you'd give your lead character Tourettes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Edward Norton, there's a face we haven't seen in a while; I guess if you're consistently hard to work with & not a box office draw, doors will eventually start to close.

Looks like a very boilerplate "corruption in city hall" thriller, with a slightly transparent attempt to garner the "physical/mental disability" sympathy votes from the Academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭steve_r

pixelburp wrote: »
    Edward Norton, there's a face we haven't seen in a while; I guess if you're consistently hard to work with & not a box office draw, doors will eventually start to close.

Looks like a very boilerplate "corruption in city hall" thriller, with a slightly transparent attempt to garner the "physical/mental disability" sympathy votes from the Academy.

So I read the book this is based on to see whether the tourette's is just a gimmick or if the writer had something genuine to say.

I enjoyed the book - but I think the movie is taking a very different/grander story which I'm not sure will work to its advantage.

As it turns out I don't think Norton suits the role!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

steve_r wrote: »
    So I read the book this is based on to see whether the tourette's is just a gimmick or if the writer had something genuine to say.

I enjoyed the book - but I think the movie is taking a very different/grander story which I'm not sure will work to its advantage.

As it turns out I don't think Norton suits the role!

So was the novel as gimmicky as this trailer makes things appear? Norton's affectation really gives things a "Simple Jack" feel to it.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I saw this tonight. The performances were very good but the plot was a bit convoluted. The movie was overly long and suffered from pacing problems. It's still worth a watch though but probably not one I'd watch again soon.

I saw this tonight. The performances were very good but the plot was a bit convoluted. The movie was overly long and suffered from pacing problems. It's still worth a watch though but probably not one I'd watch again soon.

I'd find it hard to say its worth a watch. If it was 30-40 mins shorter it would be for Norton and Baldwins performances along with the fantastic score. But man was this slow towards the end. I find it hard to understand what Norton was thinking in his direction. Any sort of screen test as well would have forced him to chop this down to a watchable version.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Maybe I don't know what makes a good film. But I saw this tonight and thought it was captivating and simply excellent. Loved everything about it. Beautiful atmosphere, beautiful score. The recreation of 1050s New York was incredible. Well, the cast... And I haven't even gotten to Norton. Loved the story too. Didn't think it was too long either. Will stay with me this one. Beautiful move.

Advertisement