Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Castle garden engine replacement

Options
  • 18-09-2019 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I have a 17.5hp briggs and stratton castle garden ride on lawn mower with engine blown.
    Im looking to replace the engine and wondering will a smaller engine i.e 13.5, 15,5 engine fit in the mower or does the 17.5hp have to be fitted?

Any help on this issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Just look up the spec sheets for any engine you are looking at?

Provided the drive shaft has the same dimensions and the bolt holes for fixing are the same it should fit.

So check out the Briggs and Stratton engine replacement catalog if that link doesn't work there's a link on this page https://www.briggsandstratton.com/eu/en_gb/support/faqs/browse/direct-replacement-engine.html

First google gave me this https://www.mowerparts.ie/175hp-briggs--stratton-intek-avs-ohv-ride-on-lawnmower-engine-1480-p.asp so €600 for a new one?

Unless the mower was actually designed with models with lower powered engines I'd be replacing the engine with one of the same power.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

my3cents wrote: »

Unless the mower was actually designed with models with lower powered engines I'd be replacing the engine with one of the same power.

Id agree . It wouldnt have the same ability to blow the grass and would strughle to cut heavy grass.
    That said husqvarna have a 12.5hp manual gearbox with a 38 inch deck and a 17.5hp with a 38 inch deck .
    Assuming the same deck

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Damo5521

Hi

Purchased a new briggs and stratton engine for this mower, anyone any tips on wiring the electris's as the connections are not the same.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Damo5521

9935452 wrote: »
    Id agree . It wouldnt have the same ability to blow the grass and would strughle to cut heavy grass.
    That said husqvarna have a 12.5hp manual gearbox with a 38 inch deck and a 17.5hp with a 38 inch deck .
    Assuming the same deck

Hi bought a 19.5hp engine and fitted in no problem, shaft diameter is the same, only issue is length. When clutch is fitted up and tighten bolt the engine wont turn. Upon studying it looked like the engine shaft is too short or the bolt is too short not really sure.

Any shop i ask say the bolt length should be the same on all

Any ideas on this be a great help

Advertisement