Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Arizona Cardinals thread!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Yeah, plenty of WR's. Apparently the Cards were sweet on N'Keal Harry.

Plenty of CB's too. Could draft a cheap replacement for Pat P

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

infacteh wrote: »
    Yeah, plenty of WR's. Apparently the Cards were sweet on N'Keal Harry.

Plenty of CB's too. Could draft a cheap replacement for Pat P
    If PP 21 is traded then we should go for the Irishman Murphy ;)
    On WR Maybe DK Metcalf, Hakeem Butler or someone that suits Murray.

According to Schefter, they're taking Murphy with the 33rd. Realistically, probably too late to trade PP, but I'm sure a young rookie could learn plenty from him!

Rosen being traded to the Dolphins for their 2nd round pick. Good deal for the Dolphins

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DM1292

infacteh wrote: »
    Rosen being traded to the Dolphins for their 2nd round pick. Good deal for the Dolphins

Great for them. They've won thst trade. Keim needs to go, if this class doesn't succeed then its the end of him in AZ. If we go 0-16 we shouldn't get rid of Kingsbury though. This is the new thing in the NFL now where spread offences are adopted. Essentially, we're looking for the new McVay in Kliff. I hope he succeeds, but it'll take a few years.

Happy with the picks so far by the way. Not so much K Murray as I felt we should have taken Williams and kept Rosen, but if we're all in with Kliff then we need to give him his QB. I've watched some of Murrays highlights, a brilliant scrambler, but our O-Line will do nothing to protect him this season and the press will have a field day on the kid. Give him a few years though, Goff was bad his first season too. Once the team around you is good, you'll be good too. Look at the Buccs team from the early 00's and Ravens from the year 2000,average QB's but savage tools around them.

• Advertisement

11,players is a good draft base.
    3 Wide Receivers
    2 Defensive line
    2 Secondary
    2 Offensive Line
    1 QB
    1 TE

I think that in general the draft was for needs rather than the best player available regardless. Of course we had a lot of needs so getting a lot of good players for each area so now to see how the coaching can get this team back in sync and competitive rather than a walk over!
    Rosen was not suited to the new coaching methodology but it meant that trading was out of our hands as there wasn’t going to be a competition to pick him up so what we got what was available.

Overall a good draft which will start the rebuild and so we will see how it goes.

As I said above “now to see how the coaching can get this team back in sync and competitive rather than a walk over!”
    So two competitive games to start off with and some great throwing from Murray - would like to see a bit of running and more movement from Johnson with less predictable redzone play than relying on Gonzalez kicking to keep us in the game!
    Hopefully Sunday can see us getting a win and an exciting few weeks!

Yeah, the offence is moving the ball well, but stuttering in the redzone. In fairness, they won't play too many teams as good as the Ravens. Home to the struggling Panthers is the kind of game you need to win to kick off the season!

BaronVon wrote: »
    Yeah, the offence is moving the ball well, but stuttering in the redzone. In fairness, they won't play too many teams as good as the Ravens. Home to the struggling Panthers is the kind of game you need to win to kick off the season!

Hopefully we can get ahead and see how good Murray is at keeping the lead rather than the comeback type from the first two games. Seeing that Larry Fitz has had his best first 2 games of his career. Looking forward to Sunday night and seeing the comparison of Rosen starting for Miami and Murray in Glendale.

Cam is out, definitely a must win now! Tomorrow would be a nice day for a few beers on the Great Lawn!

• Advertisement

Cam is out, definitely a must win now! Tomorrow would be a nice day for a few beers on the Great Lawn!
    Yes Cam out and replaced by Kyle Allen from Scottsdale so hopefully he will be nervous playing so close to home.

dougal wrote: »
    Yes Cam out and replaced by Kyle Allen from Scottsdale so hopefully he will be nervous playing so close to home.
    Nope not nervous-he is pumped up and actually really looks a very good Qb!

Yeah, balls to that. Really missed Pat P on Defense yesterday. Any Kyler was poor

Yeah, balls to that. Really missed Pat P on Defense yesterday. Any Kyler was poor

Josh Rosen 18/39 200 3/13 running 0TD-0-INT
    Kyler Murray 30/43 173 8/69 running 2TD-2-INT So at least Murray was better than Rosen.
    Kyle Allen 19/26 261 4TD 0 INT. At least Kyler was better than Rosen 😣 hard to know what to do Kyler Was sacked too often and did panic when the things that did work were changed in the next possession.

My assessment was from watching Redzone. Watched the highlights today, and he was better than the box score. The O Line certainly doesn't help him, but good to see him using his legs. He's a pass first QB, despite his athleticism, which I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DM1292

I'm happy with how the team is progressing. We've plenty of dead cap space going into next year. Our rookie offense doesn't look too bad thus far, but of course our O-Line is dreadful.

This year doesn't count for K1 in my eyes. Remember Mannings first year? Also not the greatest. I think if we address our holes, we'll be a decent side in 2 years or so.

DM1292 wrote: »
    I'm happy with how the team is progressing. We've plenty of dead cap space going into next year. Our rookie offense doesn't look too bad thus far, but of course our O-Line is dreadful.

This year doesn't count for K1 in my eyes. Remember Mannings first year? Also not the greatest. I think if we address our holes, we'll be a decent side in 2 years or so.
    I agree that this year is one for rebuilding and that’s all parts at least we have been competing in all the games so far. Liking a lot of Kyler passing and his moving is good. Big games today to see where we are in the NFC West.

Well a win and a 1-3-1 record at least makes the first five games seem better. I was very impressed by Murray last night especially the game winning drive. Great pass to Johnson and a brilliant run into field goal Range. Overall in the game he was better at avoiding sacks and 93 yards running is impressive. Our defense collapsed in the 4th quarter so needs a lot of work. Next 2 games are big to see where we are at. This week was a battle of no wins teams next is one win teams and if we win a trip to New York for a battle of two wins teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DaithiMa

Well a win and a 1-3-1 record at least makes the first five games seem better. I was very impressed by Murray last night especially the game winning drive. Great pass to Johnson and a brilliant run into field goal Range. Overall in the game he was better at avoiding sacks and 93 yards running is impressive. Our defense collapsed in the 4th quarter so needs a lot of work. Next 2 games are big to see where we are at. This week was a battle of no wins teams next is one win teams and if we win a trip to New York for a battle of two wins teams.

Was great to see us get a win on the board. Bar a very shaky quarter or so against the panthers Murray has looked the part. He is improving and gaining confidence every game. Larry Fitz helping him out big time he's been savage. With Peterson back soon to hopefully shore up pass defense am looking forward to the rest of the season. We could have done with him for Falcons and Jones though.

DaithiMa wrote: »
    Was great to see us get a win on the board. Bar a very shaky quarter or so against the panthers Murray has looked the part. He is improving and gaining confidence every game. Larry Fitz helping him out big time he's been savage. With Peterson back soon to hopefully shore up pass defense am looking forward to the rest of the season. We could have done with him for Falcons and Jones though.
    Yes for a rookie Murray has looked very good - it will always take time to figure out what works best for him! Hopefully as the season goes on he will build up a more confident way of getting things done consistently. PP21 will be back for the Giants game and combining with Byron Murphy will help the secondary. We need more protections for Tight Ends. So a better secondary will help us focus on this.

• Advertisement

Next 2 games are big to see where we are at. This week was a battle of no wins teams next is one win teams and if we win a trip to New York for a battle of two wins teams.

So a win against the no win, one win and two win teams. Getting up to 3 wins is good but we need a few changes. On offence a bit of variety when we have a lead to help finish off games without leaving the comeback open plus some improvement on the Linebackers on Tightends. The next 2 games are tougher playing 2 six win teams so hopefully we see that we can be competitive in both. Considering we were 100 percent against the 49ers in our 3 win season last year and we are half a game better than last season after seven games.
    Like the development of Kyler Murray he just needs to throw the ball away instead of trying to get his feet to try and evade a sack like he did Sunday the play before the punt was blocked for the TD.

Getting within 3 of the unbeaten 49ers is a great showing but am still perplexed by how Kingsbury wrongly called timeout on the 4th and one before halftime yet the play still went ahead and we stopped them but they got another go and scored the touchdown. Only for that we could have won by 4.

Happy with the draft overall- would have liked a TE but 2 Offensive linemen and 2 defensive linemen will help. Was really happy with the first round pick Simmons listed as a linebacker but I say he will play as a safety with some LB thrown in kind of reminds me of Tyrann Mathieu so will be able to play multiple positions and be involved in a lot on the defensive side. I think that the 7th round pick will be a good prospect and will give options to look at.

I don't really follow college football, but the general consensus seems to be pretty good. Good to draft an ASU lad at RB, that's 3 years in a row they've drafted someone local.

I think the future looks good in AZ, I'm expecting Murray to have a very good season. The main problem for them is the Division is very strong......

I don't really follow college football, but the general consensus seems to be pretty good. Good to draft an ASU lad at RB, that's 3 years in a row they've drafted someone local.

I think the future looks good in AZ, I'm expecting Murray to have a very good season. The main problem for them is the Division is very strong......

Yes everything is looking better for the future- Murray will improve with having the season under his belt. Hopefully with an improved Offensive Line less sacks and more ability to make plays both on the ground and passing with 2 top WR - Fitzgerald is probably not a deep threat but he is a great route runner and yard gainer.
    So now it is just needed to improve the defense and make games winnable again.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

Just knocking about Boards for the 1st time in ages (Unless I'm looking for a Fantasy Football League to join or something) and thought I'd post in here.

Anyway, what are fans opinions ahead new season? Think we're play-off worthy? I've been a bit vocal on Twitter that I feel a lot are over-estimating us and do feel we'll finish 7-9. This is because we need to rely on 3 big things in order to even hit a wild-card spot:

- Kyler needs to improve. Wait! Kyler looks good, but as a 2nd year QB, I feel he needs to be even better this year.
    - The OLine needs to remain healthy. (If you're a long term Cards fan, you'll know this has been an issue for quite some time.)
    - The Defense. I'm not sure how I feel about about Vance Joseph. We'll see this year. We gave up a lot last season.

Other factors:
    - Kirk. Needs a big year.
    - Rookie class. - Nearly every year we get 'Good Grades' but this needs to be a good class.

All that being said, I do think we're on the up. This'll be an interesting year for Kliff! Regardless, I'm looking forward to the new season and I hope you all are too!

I would be hoping for a wildcard spot. Very tough division. It will be an unusual season, if it goes ahead, hard for rookies to get going, although Simmons looks class. Pat P back for the whole season too should really help the D. Most confident I've been in years for the Cards.....

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭DM_2092

I would be hoping for a wildcard spot. Very tough division. It will be an unusual season, if it goes ahead, hard for rookies to get going, although Simmons looks class. Pat P back for the whole season too should really help the D. Most confident I've been in years for the Cards.....

I feel we're not as good as our 2015 team. And when it comes to expectation, not as good as what our 2016 team should have been!

I really hope either Isabella or Butler breakthrough this season. I can't wait. When this corona crap is over, I'm making sure I get to see them live. I missed them in Wembley that time we were battered by the Rams cos of work.

Yeah, you gotta make that trip, nothing like a few pre match beers on the Great Lawn!!!!

I'm raging, I was supposed to be heading over this year, either week 2 at home to the Washington Football Team :pac: (with a trip to Vegas to see the Raiders too), or Week 9 at home to the Dolphins. The virus is actually rampant in AZ, so a trip in 2021 could even be in doubt :eek:

• Advertisement

Yeah, you gotta make that trip, nothing like a few pre match beers on the Great Lawn!!!!

I'm raging, I was supposed to be heading over this year, either week 2 at home to the Washington Football Team :pac: (with a trip to Vegas to see the Raiders too), or Week 9 at home to the Dolphins. The virus is actually rampant in AZ, so a trip in 2021 could even be in doubt :eek:
    See that season tickets have been cancelled and if fans are to be allowed to attend it would be limited.
    So probably behind closed doors and see how the team will fare.
    I think that it is looking to have built in all the right areas this off-season and with more chances for Murray to develop and hopefully be a team that can push in this division.

Advertisement