Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cycle Fit Ireland (Retul) v Base2Race (SICI)

Options
  • 16-09-2019 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hello all. I am thinking about getting my triathlon bike fitted. Can anyone recommend which one of the following fitters would be the better option?
    > Bike Fit Studio with Retul fit
    > Base2Race with SICI/Dartfish?

Retul appears to be very accurate and SICI can be just as accurate but the fitter needs to know his stuff.
    Are they both in a par or would Base2Race be a better option considering they are a triathlon store?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

i cant help you with your decison but what i can say is to ad to yur basic understanding you can be a sh.te fitter using any of those gadgets

and you can be a good fitter without them
    so making a decison on what tools a fitter works is largely irrelevant.
    ie i have seem plenty of poor retul fittings etc ( not talking aobut the fitter you are talking aobut its a genereal observation )

whats important is how many saddles you can try
    are you allowed to come to a quick refit after some time ( you see all the pros tend to get refited every year some of that is certainly marketing stuf but bike positions to develop over time and what feels great after a fit sesion might not be perfect or could be a bit better after a few weeks)

so you would like the option of a 30 min refit .

retul etc are not cheap and you are paying for this i much rather have a good bike fitter with a good eye ( that knows how to ask the right questions)
    test a few different crank lenghts, q factors , and as i said saddle is the key factor.

i know that dosnt answer your question but i hope it gies you some food for thought.

the good thing now is a good time for a bike fit as you have the max time to adapt to it /

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cycling556

peter kern wrote: »
    i cant help you with your decison but what i can say is to ad to yur basic understanding you can be a sh.te fitter using any of those gadgets

and you can be a good fitter without them
    so making a decison on what tools a fitter works is largely irrelevant.
    ie i have seem plenty of poor retul fittings etc ( not talking aobut the fitter you are talking aobut its a genereal observation )

whats important is how many saddles you can try
    are you allowed to come to a quick refit after some time ( you see all the pros tend to get refited every year some of that is certainly marketing stuf but bike positions to develop over time and what feels great after a fit sesion might not be perfect or could be a bit better after a few weeks)

so you would like the option of a 30 min refit .

retul etc are not cheap and you are paying for this i much rather have a good bike fitter with a good eye ( that knows how to ask the right questions)
    test a few different crank lenghts, q factors , and as i said saddle is the key factor.

i know that dosnt answer your question but i hope it gies you some food for thought.

the good thing now is a good time for a bike fit as you have the max time to adapt to it /

Thanks for your input, much appreciated. Very valid points all of those. I had thought about the saddles and cranks etc. and wondered if it might be best to get fit done on a store where these are possibilities. Thanks again, and yes, hoping to get fit in next month or two in order to adapt.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I've had a road bike & a TT fitted by Dom in B2R and was very happy.

He changed my cleats, and changed a few other bits and pieces on the bike.

niallo32 wrote: »
    I've had a road bike & a TT fitted by Dom in B2R and was very happy.

He changed my cleats, and changed a few other bits and pieces on the bike.

Thanks. Was he knowledgeable? Was there much adjustment required on the TT bike and did you notice much difference post fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Dom is very knowledgeable yes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

cycling556 wrote: »
    Thanks. Was he knowledgeable? Was there much adjustment required on the TT bike and did you notice much difference post fit?

Very knowledgable and interested in getting you fitted better - he's not just looking to tick a box. He also wanted me to try it for a few weeks and come back to tweak it if any part was uncomfortable.

He adjusted saddle height, swapped the stem, moved the TT pads out a little wider and did some other bits - I've never had an issue with it.

niallo32 wrote: »
    Very knowledgable and interested in getting you fitted better - he's not just looking to tick a box. He also wanted me to try it for a few weeks and come back to tweak it if any part was uncomfortable.

He adjusted saddle height, swapped the stem, moved the TT pads out a little wider and did some other bits - I've never had an issue with it.

Great to know. Thanks.

Advertisement