Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Build Roof Overhang 600mm proposed is it enough?

• 15-09-2019 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

most of the new builds i see these days seem to have designed out any roof overhang.
    Whilst i appreciate the uncluttered look no overhang gives i dont like it and had to push Architect at design stage to put in an overhang. Thinking back there didnt seem to be any scientific basis used to arrive at 600mm i was just asked how much do you want. What i wanted was a sufficent width to protect the building from the weather ,that you could stand under if it was raining and to provide some shading from the sun. The 600mm was totally arbitrary.
    The carpenter initially couldnt understand it but has come around to it now and is encouraging me to go wider because the external insulation is going to reduce the 600mm to 450mm.

I found a solar shading site that allows you to input your window size and recommends the correct overhang for solar for your location. This is recommending 950mm
    Has anybody else done this or got any ideas or suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If it is too wide, with a decent slope, the soffit board may be well down below the ceiling line so the EWI need to go up inside the soffit board and meet the roof insulation.
    Window shading is best done over the window.
    A meter or more of tiles out beyond the birds mouth cut in the rafter might be a bit tricky, especially with the EWI as the chippy may not want to triangulate back to the wall

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭CaraK

Thanks for replying

no birdsmouth being used the ceiling joist is being extended all the way (so sitting on top of wall plate)and fixed to wall plate with truss hangers

Bonus is the EWI and roof insulation will meet and ensure continous insulation

attached is screen grab of the shading calculation. metric measurements

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

CaraK wrote: »
    Bonus is the EWI and roof insulation will meet and ensure continous insulation

Ewi on timber frame?:confused:

the first picture is borrowed from internet its exactly what i will be doing

swap timber for single leaf masonary

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

planning permission is on the basis of 600mm yes?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    planning permission is on the basis of 600mm yes?

yeah planning based on drawings submitted which show 600mm

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

increasing to 950mm could be considered a significant change which would require permission.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    increasing to 950mm could be considered a significant change which would require permission.

yes I already contacted them they were okay with it

Advertisement