Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In dire need....

• 14-09-2019 4:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Here's the story....
    I'm riding a Suzuki Bking - Tuesday evening last, gears jumped from 6th down to 5th, stuck in 5th no go to 6th. Shifts freely 1-4, hard into 5th no go to 6th. After a dire search for a local mechanic, end up getting towed to Mutts Nuts Lexlip. Know nothing about them except from google reviews. Has the bike 3 days - no news?? Getting worried so i'm going over there tomorrow Saturday.
    Here's my problem, I've stated a new job in Dublin , its shift work and the bike is my primary transport. Rang around some mates & nobody can lend me a bike for a while.
    Questions are;
    Does anybody know anything about Mutts Nuts lexlip - are they reliable? Will i be getting fleeced?
    Is there anywhere i can loan or rent (at a reasonable rate) a bike? I need transport. A car is out of the question as there's insufficient and unreliable parking? (Living in Kilcullen Kildare - job in Dublin port)
    As for the mechanics of the problem, am i looking at a money wasting issue - is it worth ploughing the money into getting it sorted or scrapping?
    Some solid advice needed here please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Can they not give you a loan of a bike..??

Sounds like an engine out/stripdown job..$$$$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I've only ever heard good things about Mutts Nuts, and that's from mates who've bought bikes from them.

Can't help you with the rest, oh and next time ask them for a loaner bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It could be something simple like a selector fork in the gearbox.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Esel wrote: »
    It could be something simple like a selector fork in the gearbox.

"Simple" would be a sticky gear lever..............;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Known problem and not an easy fix, big labour never mind parts. Selector forks bend and gear need under cutting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I've only ever heard good things about Mutts Nuts, and that's from mates who've bought bikes from them.

Can't help you with the rest, oh and next time ask them for a loaner bike.

They're sound. Bought my V-Strom of them. Zero issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Def an engine out and crankcase strip, so it's going to cost no matter how big/small the internal issue is, due to hours alone - I'd ring them, explain your situation and whilst they can't quote for unseeen work, they could budget the other stuff. That alone might decide for you how/whether it's economically repairable.

I'd also ask them if they could provide a bike you could rent ? (long shot, but you never know)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement