Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wales v Ireland 31/8/19

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Because he hasn't played a single minute of competitive rugby since the end of May. You can't expect players regardless of their calibre to go into a competition like the RWC having not played a test match or even club match for over 4 months.

He will start on Saturday ....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He will start on Saturday ....

Then why were you questioning someone saying they'd like to see him start?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭daddy pig

O'Mahony poor form continues.

6 tackles.
    5 runs for 2 metres.
    0 lineout wins and 1 missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

daddy pig wrote: »

6 tackles.
    5 runs for 2 metres.

Thought he was a good bit better than against England or basically any game he's played in several months, but still hardly world beating stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

molloyjh wrote: »
    I love how some seem to be able to diagnose what's going on in camp when they arent in there at all and dont know any of the people involved. We already know that a large amount of the focus up to now has been on S&C so of course skill levels and continuity will be below par as a result. As many have already said, that is perfectly reasonable if we assume we're targeting the QF, which is exactly what we should be doing.
    Would you also just love if nobody postpone here? Or even better, just agreed with you?
    I’m not trying to be nasty towards you, but your reasoning and assumptions also might not be correct.
    I’m asking you the questions above obviously with tongue in cheek. But you are on here a long time and surely know that people are all on here to offer our opinions and discuss. Not to be patronised or accused of “been negative”.
    Vast majority of us on here are Irish rugby supporters. We want our country to do well and to talk about it when they do, and equally when they don’t.
    I also think it’s perfectly reasonable to assume that Ireland are targeting the 1/4s. But who knows for sure? I would say they are still targeting the win but are in a “malaise”. Joe’s word.
    Again it’s perfectly reasonable to offer an opinion that this game wasn’t of the required standard that we would want right now. Im of the opinion that this teams performance hasn’t been near their previous standard for 8 games now.
    There are many reasons. Let’s just talk about it!

I'm all for having conversations about it. That's not what some here are doing though. You yourself have claimed that its "patently obvious" that the squad is low on confidence. You state opinion like its fact when the reality is you couldn't possibly know how true what you are saying is. It's already been pointed out as well about how some are making grandiose claims about professional players and coaches, again stating them as fact and not opinion. The choice of words matter and a lot of the time on here the choice is to put oneself forward as the Oracle of truth and knowledge, when the reality is none of us are even close to that.

So yes, let's talk about where we are and why we might be there. But let's do it fully acknowledging that we dont really know and we're only speculating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

daddy pig wrote: »

6 tackles.
    5 runs for 2 metres.

Doesn't matter, he's on the plane. It never matters, he brings his elite level ruck marshaling and "leadership".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Doesn't matter, he's on the plane. It never matters, he brings his elite level ruck marshaling and "leadership".

I have been saying it for ages about POM and have been shouted down on here a fair few times. His numbers just do not stack up and are particularly annoying when we get battered by a beefy pack. He has hollywood moments in games which are incredible, but give me a back row like Leavy or VDF and their fundamentals all day every day. That being said, he should be on the plane but not a guaranteed starter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I have been saying it for ages about POM and have been shouted down on here a fair few times. His numbers just do not stack up and are particularly annoying when we get battered by a beefy pack. He has hollywood moments in games which are incredible, but give me a back row like Leavy or VDF and their fundamentals all day every day. That being said, he should be on the plane but not a guaranteed starter

He is the definition of a show pony imo, and it's all the funnier, given the abuse Heaslip used to catch, when he was actually busy hitting rucks and making tackles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

He is the definition of a show pony imo, and it's all the funnier, given the abuse Heaslip used to catch, when he was actually busy hitting rucks and making tackles.

We would kill for a Heaslip in the back row right now. Lets hope CJ can regain some form too

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Each to their own but the coach picked him as Captain last weekend and as you say he's on the plane to Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'm all for having conversations about it. That's not what some here are doing though. You yourself have claimed that its "patently obvious" that the squad is low on confidence. You state opinion like its fact when the reality is you couldn't possibly know how true what you are saying is. It's already been pointed out as well about how some are making grandiose claims about professional players and coaches, again stating them as fact and not opinion. The choice of words matter and a lot of the time on here the choice is to put oneself forward as the Oracle of truth and knowledge, when the reality is none of us are even close to that.

So yes, let's talk about where we are and why we might be there. But let's do it fully acknowledging that we dont really know and we're only speculating.

It’s a pity you feel that way. I like to talk rugby and see what other people’s take is on a game, or whatever – but… “oracle of truth”?
    & again with the belittling – I state opinion like it’s a fact - I couldn’t possibly know - Examine and revise your own choice of words please.
    Here are some more quotes from Joe after the Italy game in 6N re: confidence. I found them alarming as much as his other more severe “There’s is a malaise about the team” after the England warm up.
    The lack of confidence started with poor form from some key players during the 6N and has spread to crisis of confidence within the group (Note: This is an opinion I have formulated based on watching rugby and listening to Joe! Please do not take offense!!)
    “I think sometimes when players haven’t played for a long time and they don’t quite get it perfect when they come back in, they can get a little frustrated and then try too hard,”
    “And when they try too hard, it doesn’t go well for them and then they start to lose a bit of confidence.
    “We always talk about going forward, but sometimes you’ve got to take a step back and take a deep breath and not panic because I think the players were a bit… I suppose a bit broken by the fallout from the England game and then suddenly they start to question themselves.
    “I think the coaching staff, it’s our job to re-energise the group and reignite the confidence.
    “There’s a couple of times where I felt we could have taken a risk today but we didn’t take the risk because we’re feeling a little bit suffocated and you can’t play within yourself, not if you want to beat a good team and the good teams are tough to beat.”

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 359 ✭✭NeonWolf

Has Toner been cited for his Scott Barrett impression yet?

Consistency and all that.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

NeonWolf wrote: »
    Has Toner been cited for his Scott Barrett impression yet?

Consistency and all that.....

I think I read they have until 4pm tomorrow to cite him? Not sure though.

I think I read they have until 4pm tomorrow to cite him? Not sure though.

if they don't it's a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Citing him now would be harsh. He just got cut from the RWC squad. It would be really kicking the man when he's down.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Citing him now would be harsh. He just got cut from the RWC squad. It would be really kicking the man when he's down.

Shouldn't really matter though should it?

The truth has no temperature. If we are all about eradicating it then he needs to be taught a lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The truth has no temperature. If we are all about eradicating it then he needs to be taught a lesson.

I was taking the piss. Of course it doesn't matter. He should be cited and suspended the same as Barrett. I don't think he will be.

I was taking the piss. Of course it doesn't matter. He should be cited and suspended the same as Barrett. I don't think he will be.

Still not cited at time of posting. I can't believe the inconsistency in the application of these laws.its going to decide a big game in the RWC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think it's -173.5c

Advertisement