Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recreational/beginner fishing spots, Dublin

• 26-08-2019 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Hi Angling experts,

Was away in Wexford last week and brought the young fella to a spot just outside New Ross as he wanted to do some fishing in a lake (Oaklands Lake).

I don't have any experience in it and obviously didn't have the rods/bait etc but they were excellent and rented them out as well as helping us along with it too.

I am just wondering is there anywhere in Dublin/Wicklow/Meath/Kildare like this, as we would love to try it again?

Thanks for the help,

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's a place in Aughrim, I think Annamoe and somewhere near Rathdrum I think.

The Aughrim one is the national disability angling facility and from what I see is often kids and parents as it's open for all

That said, i know nothing of angling, I just pass these places a fair bit

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Weepsie wrote: »
    There's a place in Aughrim, I think Annamoe and somewhere near Rathdrum I think.

The Aughrim one is the national disability angling facility and from what I see is often kids and parents as it's open for all

That said, i know nothing of angling, I just pass these places a fair bit

Thanks, sounds like the right type of place. The place in New Ross also had a facility for kids with disabilities so perhaps why they had so much time to help those with no experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

Tomw86 wrote: »
    Thanks, sounds like the right type of place. The place in New Ross also had a facility for kids with disabilities so perhaps why they had so much time to help those with no experience of it.

I used to go up to Aughrim with groups of kids on youth projects etc back in the 2000s. Used to have lots of fish and we always caught. Been there dozens of times.

I went up there last year to try and catch my own kids their first fish. They have lost a lot of funding (they told me on site) and staff and fish stock levels were way down. The lady there told me that what few fish are in there, when caught, often head right onto the BBQs on site at the weekend.

I wouldnt be in a rush to go again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Bio Mech wrote: »
    I used to go up to Aughrim with groups of kids on youth projects etc back in the 2000s. Used to have lots of fish and we always caught. Been there dozens of times.

I went up there last year to try and catch my own kids their first fish. They have lost a lot of funding (they told me on site) and staff and fish stock levels were way down. The lady there told me that what few fish are in there, when caught, often head right onto the BBQs on site at the weekend.

I wouldnt be in a rush to go again

Same with rathbeggan. I caught a 18 pounder out there years ago. Went out last year for first time in years with my own kids and turned away. Could see the state of the fish in it.
    Corcagh park used to be brilliant aswell. Now the fish in it are wild and it’s full of pike now. There’s no one in the shop anymore either.
    Place is gone to the dogs. Wish these places had funding like they did years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

I've fished most of the near-to-Dublin lakes and, currently, I would say that the Laois Angling Centre is my preferred spot. 3-5 lakes depending on the time of year, nice rest facilities, friendly staff, plenty of fish. Really enjoyed my visits there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Evac101 wrote: »
    I've fished most of the near-to-Dublin lakes and, currently, I would say that the Laois Angling Centre is my preferred spot. 3-5 lakes depending on the time of year, nice rest facilities, friendly staff, plenty of fish. Really enjoyed my visits there.

Actually agree with you. Cheap enough for a day ticket. Nice staff. Lakes could be bigger but still a nice place to fish

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Tomw86

Thanks for the feedback.

Sad that Rathbeggan is gone now.

Advertisement