Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rescue grounded Bat

• 30-08-2019 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum but will ask anyway.

I went out into my garden this evening and found the cat playing with a a bat. If it was a mouse or rat I would not "bat" an eyelid but decided to try rescue this little guy. As I was putting the kids to bed I have simply but a plastic bucket over the bat and weighed it down with a stone to keep the cat away.

I don't know and probably would not be able to tell myself anyway if the bat is injured. I dont want to let this little guy suffer if he is in pain after the cats attack but would prefer to try rescue him.

Given that is now 9.30pm and wont get him to a vet or anyone who knows anything about bats or bat conservation, I am looking for advice on what I should do with him for the night.
    Or alternatively, would it be less cruel to simply let the cat finish him rather than make him suffer through whatever injuries he may already have through the night.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭paul71

I went out into my garden this evening and found the cat playing with a a bat. If it was a mouse or rat I would not "bat" an eyelid but decided to try rescue this little guy. As I was putting the kids to bed I have simply but a plastic bucket over the bat and weighed it down with a stone to keep the cat away.

I don't know and probably would not be able to tell myself anyway if the bat is injured. I dont want to let this little guy suffer if he is in pain after the cats attack but would prefer to try rescue him.

Given that is now 9.30pm and wont get him to a vet or anyone who knows anything about bats or bat conservation, I am looking for advice on what I should do with him for the night.
    Or alternatively, would it be less cruel to simply let the cat finish him rather than make him suffer through whatever injuries he may already have through the night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

Read this as a start: https://www.batconservationireland.org/found-a-grounded-bat

Do not under any circumstances give it back to the cat! Probably the cruellest thing you could do. Don't dispatch it yourself either - it's not your place to do that. Worst case scenario you can keep it sheltered and secure and get it to a vet or wildlife rehabilitator in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Let the cat finish him off???

Release it if it seems uninjured - it should be fairly obvious. Put it somewhere safe outside, keep the cat inside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

paul71 wrote: »

This week, for the first time ever, i woke up and found my cat with a dead bat:mad:

never seen a bat around before.

Paul with was in the northeast, are you in the same part of the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Very much as Srameen said.
    Somewhere high up maybe,rather than ground level.

• Advertisement

No moralising please openyoureyes I could simply have ignored it. I have dispatched large animals myself in the past when suffering was beyond the acceptable bounds, I simply do not have the experience with small animals to make the judgement. I cannot get this guy to a vet for the next 11 hours and that borders on the period of time that I consider cruel.
    I am reluctant to wait that long unless someone here with experience advises me to do so, already went to that link before I posted here my concern is the 12 hours of internal injuries broken limbs ect that I would see on a horse or other large animal that I cannot see on him.

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Very much as Srameen said.
    Somewhere high up maybe,rather than ground level.

I have a dark unheated room in the house, the website address mentioned a ventilated shoebox. Should I provide a little sliced catfood and water or leave him without.

Happy4all wrote: »
    This week, for the first time ever, i woke up and found my cat with a dead bat:mad:

never seen a bat around before.

Paul with was in the northeast, are you in the same part of the country?

Yeah Trim, but I am accustomed to finding bats trapped and have released them before, they are common enough. I have just never rescued one from a cat before.

No moralising please openyoureyes I could simply have ignored it. I have dispatched large animals myself in the past when suffering was beyond the acceptable bounds, I simply do not have the experience with small animals to make the judgement. I cannot get this guy to a vet for the next 11 hours and that borders on the period of time that I consider cruel.
    I am reluctant to wait that long unless someone here with experience advises me to do so, already went to that link before I posted here my concern is the 12 hours of internal injuries broken limbs ect that I would see on a horse or other large animal that I cannot see on him.

You are dealing with a legally protected species here, unfortunately.

I have a dark unheated room in the house, the website address mentioned a ventilated shoebox. Should I provide a little sliced catfood and water or leave him without.

If it's well enough to eat it is probably well enough to release. What symptoms is it displaying?

• Advertisement

Thank you for the help and advice everyone. As soon as I lifted the bucket the bat flew away. The cat made a last ditch effort but to no avail, the little guy flew over the back wall of the garden.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi OP,

Ive moved your thread to Nature and Birdwatching. A link to the thread will stay in Animals and Pets so hopefully between the two forums someone can help.

Already resolved thank you. Bat flew away once I lifted the bucket.

Thank you for the help and advice everyone. As soon as I lifted the bucket the bat flew away. The cat made a last ditch effort but to no avail, the little guy flew over the back wall of the garden.

Not being smart but why was the cat anywhere in the vicinity when releasing the bat?

Because the cat is semi feral and extremely difficult to catch, I suppose I could have left the bat under the bucket all night.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

No moralising please openyoureyes I could simply have ignored it..

I wasn't moralising, I was telling you that giving it to the cat wouldn't have given it a swift death but rather a prolonged death - which you obviously didn't want.

If I was moralising I'd tell you to lock up your cat and stop it killing wildlife!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Just for future references there is an excellent website called Irish wildlife matters that has advice if someone finds injured wildlife.

There is also a wildlife organisation called Kildare Animal Foundation (Wildlife Unit) that has a network of volunteers across Ireland and they also offer advice over the phone too :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement