Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Old Tool Restoration

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

JayZeus wrote: »
    Can’t touch this.

Hang thine head in shame! .. lol (I'll be humming that all day now)

Hang thine head in shame! .. lol (I'll be humming that all day now)

Mission: Accomplished

For the craic.

Union Mfg. Co. #22 smoothing plane and a #28 fore plane.

Ready in a week or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Any makers name on the transitional planes?

RE the hammer heads

BP stands for Ball Peen

W stands for Warrington pattern which is a type of Cross Peen hammer

Just thought I'd mention that :)

my3cents wrote: »
    Any makers name on the transitional planes?

RE the hammer heads

BP stands for Ball Peen

W stands for Warrington pattern which is a type of Cross Peen hammer

Just thought I'd mention that :)

Union Manufacturing Company was the maker for the transitionals. Very feint impression from the stamp on toe of the soles. The blades have the same mark and the soles have not been trued so likely all original, little used condition.

I have a full set of Stanley Warrington hammers now, with a couple of duplicates. The Ball Pein’s don’t interest me much, but the small one came with the W4 head so I cleaned it up while I was at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Good evening folks. I was directed to this thread from the DIY forum.

I'll go back and read the rest of the thread later, but for the moment I'd like to pose a question.

I have a number of Stanley planes,cans all of them have paint either on the toe around the knob, or the heel behind the tote, or in some cases both. This is not a splash of paint, the japanning has actually been painted over.

Question is, how do I remove the paint without damaging the japanning underneath.

I've included a picture of my no.7 by way of example

495902.jpg

I’ve had quite a few planes from schools, usually with some paint on the toe and heel. Unfortunately I can’t suggest any successful method of removing only the paint and not the japanning at the same time. I’ve tried various thinners, paint strippers and different types of abrasives processes like nylon/scotchbrite pads or very fine brass brushes. So far, every attempt results in at least the removal of some of the japanning, if not effectively all of it down to bare iron in the areas I’ve tried.

The problem seems to be that anything that will remove the paint will also soften the japanning. It’s a tough finish, at least when fresh, but easily compromised with everything from hot water and fairy liquid (seriously) to more obvious ones like Mr. Muscle oven cleaner.

Best of luck anyway!

Thanks JayZeus. I had planned on giving each of them a good clean, they're in pretty good nick otherwise. Looks like I'll just have fancy painted planes :D

A new arrival. An early 1930’s Stanley Bedrock #604.

Sole lapped and fitted it with a Clifton two piece chipbreaker and a nice Stanley blade.

The lever cap is a bit later than the plane as I can’t stand looking at the original. I fitted this slightly later one, for now.

Only an ignorant chimp uses the lever cap end as a screwdriver to loosen the chipbreaker screw. This ones original ‘keyhole’ type nickel plated lever cap is chipped as a consequence and a replacement is mad money. Just get a 12 or 10mm screwdriver, meat heads! :)

attachment.php?attachmentid=496619&d=1575231306

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭imakebiodiesel

cletus wrote: »
    Good evening folks. I was directed to this thread from the DIY forum.

I'll go back and read the rest of the thread later, but for the moment I'd like to pose a question.

I have a number of Stanley planes,cans all of them have paint either on the toe around the knob, or the heel behind the tote, or in some cases both. This is not a splash of paint, the japanning has actually been painted over.

Question is, how do I remove the paint without damaging the japanning underneath.

I've included a picture of my no.7 by way of example

495902.jpg

Schools often painted planes and chisel handles different colours to avoid sets getting mixed up. Mostly it was oil based gloss that is not easy to remove without damage to the japanning underneath. I have had success with with methyl esters of vegetable oil (biodiesel). just paint it on and and leave if for a couple of days to soften and then scrub with a stiff paintbrush. It may take a few applications where the paint is thickest. I can send you a small bottle to try it if you are interested, I dont want payment for it.

• Advertisement

Schools often painted planes and chisel handles different colours to avoid sets getting mixed up. Mostly it was oil based gloss that is not easy to remove without damage to the japanning underneath. I have had success with with methyl esters of vegetable oil (biodiesel). just paint it on and and leave if for a couple of days to soften and then scrub with a stiff paintbrush. It may take a few applications where the paint is thickest. I can send you a small bottle to try it if you are interested, I dont want payment for it.

That's a very kind offer. If you're sure, I'll pm my address to you. I'm happy to at least cover shipping costs

Some of my late fathers old Moore & Wright dividers and an external caliper. Always cared for but sat on a bench for a couple of years after he passed.

After some work by hand with steel wool, autoglym and ballistol..

They’re the ones without the black pivots

Interesting. I've a number of dividers and calipers that could use the same treatment. What was your process, and would 3-in-1 oil substitute adequately for the ballistol

cletus wrote: »
    Interesting. I've a number of dividers and calipers that could use the same treatment. What was your process, and would 3-in-1 oil substitute adequately for the ballistol

Use CRC rust remover (NOT converter) to de-rust. Do not try using vinegar as it will blacked the steel and leave you with an ugly mess to try to remove. More harm than good.

Then 0000 grade steel wool with Autosol polish and a terry cloth. Just lots of handwork really at that stage.

3-in-1 is fine. I like using Ballistol as it's a very light oil and easy to remove excess. But any lightweight or sewing machine oil would be fine.

Got another nice Thomas Flinn & Co saw today from fleabay. 8" 20TPI, beech handle, brass back and steel bolts. Fugly, but I knew it would be worth a bit of effort.

Dismantled, scrubbed the plate and back with scotchbrite and fairy liquid, rinsed and then into a CRC bath for 5 minutes. Rinse and dried, then a couple of minutes with scotchbrite and oil, then a wash and dry before switching over to Autosol metal polish and yet another scotchbrite pad. Wash, dry, oiled with Ballistol. Stripped the handle and cleaned with 0000 steel wool, then 4 coats of shellac and finally a 0000 rub down and some antique wax. I'll give it a lick with a precision file and it's ready to go.

Anyone else still fixing stuff?

Picked up a Record 4 1/2 with a chipped rear cheek and in need of some new paint:

530950.jpeg

Matched the sides and gave it a fresh coat:

530951.jpeg

Here’s another recent restoration, a USA type 15/16 (not quite sure which) Stanley #7 with a corrugated sole and lovely rosewood handles. Well, lovely after they were refinished.

The sole needed painting as it had lost about 40% of the japanning after a lot of years sitting in a barn covered in absolutely crap, literally.

530952.jpeg

Rapier low angle spokeshave, picked up on eBay and needing a total restoration. Stripped it, acid etch primed (it's aluminium bodied) and for a change I painted this with underbody car paint, which actually worked really well!

530954.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bamayang

JayZeus wrote: »
    Rapier low angle spokeshave, picked up on eBay and needing a total restoration. Stripped it, acid etch primed (it's aluminium bodied) and for a change I painted this with underbody car paint, which actually worked really well!

530954.jpeg

Do you keep all the planes you restore? You must have some whack of them at this stage. That stanley is a beauty

• Advertisement

bamayang wrote: »
    Do you keep all the planes you restore? You must have some whack of them at this stage. That stanley is a beauty

I sell a lot of them, most of the ones I do now. My own set of 'keepers' took years to assemble and while these others are generally very nice tools, they're not better than the stuff I'll keep for the rest of my days.

I enjoy problem solving, fixing things that others would just put in a corner, or scrap and all for want of a little thought, time and effort. It's a good way to fund some other tool purchases along the way. I bought a pair of Stanley #4's for €8 last Saturday morning and had them cleaned up and sold for €45 each by the time I had my dinner. A wash in the sink, a CRC soak and wipe down, blades onto to the Tormek and a fine jap stone and put them back together. About an hour all in and €5 in materials, all while I listened to the Fine Woodworking podcast. I even reglued a previous break in the tote - The repair is almost invisible when done right.

Here's the one with the reglued tote:

530978.JPG

The tote got a steel wool and wax wipe down before the buyer picked it up - I left it for a while just to be sure the glue was holding right.

That #7 cost me €50 and a tenner in materials. It'll sell for €150-160 in a week or so when the finish is fully hardened. I'd rather hold on to stuff until it really is as good as it's going to get for a new owner.

Ta for the interest and questions!

This one will be painted at the weekend. It was just covered in surface rust, covered. Most of the finish was missing. And someone had drilled out the threads on the boss for the knob, so they could attach a doorknob using a short bolt sort of forced into the bore. Luckily they didn't crack it (the CRC bath shows such things very easily) so I redrilled it using my old Makita and a Wolfcraft drill stand on the kitchen table while herself was at work, then tapped it and fitted a helicoil. Metric, but I picked up a few spares kits from Stanley years back that included both the original BSW (or whatever it is) and Metric rods and barrel nuts. I've since reshaped the crown on the barrel nut, so unless I told you or you took it apart and paid attention, you'd never know. And it's not that difficult either.

530979.JPG

A needle file and some scotchbrite makes it a quick and easy correction:

530981.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

Lovely work - Where do you tend to sell them? I'd be interested in keeping an eye on your "stock"

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭bamayang

BackInTown wrote: »
    Lovely work - Where do you tend to sell them? I'd be interested in keeping an eye on your "stock"

I’m the same, they’re beautiful pieces of work!!

I have almost a waiting list of sorts. I've ended up with a regular pool of fellas who have bought off me before who between them end up buying whatever I might have for sale. The beauty of it is that they don't haggle. They already know what they're going to be getting and why I ask for top whack. It also means I'm happy to put the time and effort into stuff even when I know I won't be keeping it.

That said, I'm always happy to help someone find a nice tool if I can, so don't be shy to put up a wanted list and I'll keep my eyes open for suitable stuff in my late night browsing sprees!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eliana0006

No 7s are very scarce and good ones even more so. If you are going to look at one for sale bring a 1m steel rule and check the sole for straightness and wind. If its distorted as many Stanleys are they are not much use.. Generally Records are better and Faithfuls Anants and other copies are crap. Make sure there is a decent amount of blade left, a new Stanley replacement blade will cost you €20.
    Good luck

I want to Learn how to remove rust

Advertisement