Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Ill definitely be keeping my old car now for as long as I can insure it whilst saving the pennies for an electric one!

https://www.independent.ie/news/environment/revealed-proposed-petrol-and-diesel-car-ban-in-towns-and-tax-hikes-how-climate-change-action-strategy-will-affect-you-38224591.html

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

Not getting any quotes at all for 2000 Toyota mr2 1.8 :(

Anyone know anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anyone know anything?

Have you tried AXA? Options are getting very limited, if they say no you may be in trouble.

You might be able to legally force a company to give you a quote if you get a rejection letter off 3 of them but god only knows what that quote would be like.

https://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/declined-cases-agreement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

tuxy wrote: »
    Have you tried AXA? Options are getting very limited, if they say no you may be in trouble.

You might be able to legally force a company to give you a quote if you get a rejection letter off 3 of them but god only knows what that quote would be like.

https://www.insuranceireland.eu/consumer-information/general-non-life-insurance/declined-cases-agreement

See in a situation like this, the insurance companys hold all the cards, what's to stop them quoting €10k or 15k or 20k for a year's cover?

evosteo wrote: »
    See in a situation like this, the insurance companys hold all the cards, what's to stop them quoting €10k or 15k or 20k for a year's cover?

Of course, I'd still do it just to see what happens though. You possibly don't need a letter either, a reference number may be enough, so it may not be much trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Parapara2017

Axa not giving anything. It would be a second car so no NCB

No online quotes is it worth calling or a waste of time?

AH, you haven't called? Not a waste of time at all, I've not been able to get a quote online for years now. I've always had to call. Could be rough with the lack of no claims though.
    In your case your car is actually too young, a few companies now give classic insurance to cars over 20 years as long as you also have a policy on a newer car.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BexieB

There seems to have been some sort of shift with regard to older cars lately. I have a 2000 Mini, until recently I could only get insurance with Axa. Have not been able to get any online quote for the past 3 years. Recently I’ve got online quotes from Aviva, 123 and AA. The last time I tried AA, they told me my car didn’t exist on any of their databases, now suddenly it’s back! I’ve noticed with all of the quotes they ask how long you’ve owned the car. This should mitigate the risk of crooks buying old car for ‘crash for cash’ fraud, which seemed to be the reason for older cars being shunned by insurance companies. Is it too much to hope some sanity is returning to the older car insurance scene?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

BexieB wrote: »
    There seems to have been some sort of shift with regard to older cars lately. I have a 2000 Mini, until recently I could only get insurance with Axa. Have not been able to get any online quote for the past 3 years. Recently I’ve got online quotes from Aviva, 123 and AA. The last time I tried AA, they told me my car didn’t exist on any of their databases, now suddenly it’s back! I’ve noticed with all of the quotes they ask how long you’ve owned the car. This should mitigate the risk of crooks buying old car for ‘crash for cash’ fraud, which seemed to be the reason for older cars being shunned by insurance companies. Is it too much to hope some sanity is returning to the older car insurance scene?
    They have always asked how long you have the car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I've only been able to find two for a 20 year old car recently.
    AA and Supervalue.

• Advertisement

accensi0n wrote: »
    AA and Supervalue.

Would AXA quote you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭accensi0n

accensi0n wrote: »
    AA and Supervalue.

Would AXA quote you?

Yeah, AXA through AA.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

It is a scandal, that older cars which have passed the NCT are refused insurance. What is the point of the NCT if they can deny you a quote.
    It is also ecologicially damaging since more older cars get scrapped, and whatever carbon benefit a new car has in its running, is out weighed by the carbon footprint of producing it and scrapping the older car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,258 ✭✭✭jmreire

Be careful what you wish for. Insurance Ireland fund a central database for it's members, where they share information on fraud. It is for members only but any insurer can apply to join and, to my knowledge, no insurer has ever been refused membership. If an EU ruling comes along stating that all insurers must have access to the collective data on fraud, without being a member and contributing to the running cost, then what incentive is there for the group to continue running it?

We'll revert back to a situation where every insurer will retain it's own information and fraud detection will reduce. The solution is for every insurer (and potential insurer) to join Insurance Link and pay towards the running costs. Either that or the Regulator needs to fund a universal database scheme.

So, what's the problem? Any new insurances are coming to Ireland, make it mandatory they have to pay their share of this fund? The whole insurance "industry" here need's scrutiny, so this is a welcome announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

petronius wrote: »
    It is a scandal, that older cars which have passed the NCT are refused insurance. What is the point of the NCT if they can deny you a quote.
    It is also ecologicially damaging since more older cars get scrapped, and whatever carbon benefit a new car has in its running, is out weighed by the carbon footprint of producing it and scrapping the older car.
    Apparently older cars are involved in a disproportionately high amount of claims, and because of the advances in safety in the last 15 or so years, a even higher level of claims...
    (I could probably believe that in terms of 50 / 100euro extra on your bill a year, but it seems odd that they don't even want to quote...)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

jmreire wrote: »
    So, what's the problem? Any new insurances are coming to Ireland, make it mandatory they have to pay their share of this fund? .

That's the way it is at the moment. Become a member, pay in to the scheme and avail of the benefits. Some people are saying it should be made free for competitors to avail of data that others pay to compile and operate

Markcheese wrote: »
    Apparently older cars are involved in a disproportionately high amount of claims, and because of the advances in safety in the last 15 or so years, a even higher level of claims...
    (I could probably believe that in terms of 50 / 100euro extra on your bill a year, but it seems odd that they don't even want to quote...)

Some insurance company's will re- insure you no problem ( assuming you have been insured with them all the time, and with the same car) Others, will refuse to insure once the car reach's a certain age,( but with a premium increase ) which differ's from insurer to insurer. (NCT not withstanding.) This is not a problem I have experienced in other Country's where I have worked, but this is Ireland.....and it all seem's to funnel people into either buying newer or brand new car's...which for many means borrowing money, which make's banks and lending society's happy.

Well what I think is happening here is the government give support to the current insurance cartel and then the insurance cartel also helps the government out by forcing people to buy newer cars so more VRT is collected. But that's just what I think, no proof.

This practice is then justified by saying it means safer cars and lower emissions.

Well what I think is happening here is the government give support to the current insurance cartel and then the insurance cartel also helps the government out by forcing people to buy newer cars so more VRT is collected. But that's just what I think, no proof.

This practice is then justified by saying it means safer cars and lower emissions.

Oh, I'd say you are not too far wrong in your thinking..the Govt response ( or lack of) to the insurance crisis speak's volume's. I hope that the impending EU official investigation will cut right to the center of it. There is something rotten with the whole system, and it's all interlinked.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Anyone know anything?

Insurance companies hated 90s/00s jap cars years ago and still do to this day, even a lot of classic insurers despise them or flat out wont quote. I think the idea of owning a 90s jap import, especially one that actually has a bit of power is a dream too far for most.

im 29 and I don't think they'll even sell petrol anymore by the time an insurer is willing to take a reasonable price on an r34 skyline with mods declared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

The brother has moved from being a named driver to being the main driver on our 2005 Avensis.

He's 25 and managed to get it done for about €1,200. Had 4 years named driver NCB, which they accepted. Did it with Aviva as well (via a broker), which was interesting as I know they've a reputation for not taking on new drivers on cars that 'old'. I was amazed he got it insured so cheaply (relatively speaking), although he has no penalty points. Not technically 15 years old I admit, although as near as makes no difference since it was registered at the start of 2005.

I got my insurance for renewed today on my 2003 BMW 325 for €716, exactly one euro more than this time last year, can't really complain about that either considering it's over 16 years old (about the only thing on it that's cheap really:pac:). This is with RSA (via a broker). This is fully comprehensive with step back cover.

We've always used O'Mahony Boylan Golden Insurance Brokers and they've always looked after us, so I'd suggest anyone who's struggling to get an 'old' car insured give them a call, you might be able to keep you 'old' car insured at a reasonable price for a bit longer:)!

I see no reason to get rid of perfectly good cars if they're working away fine and have valid NCTs.

Not technically 15 years old I admit,

It's very much a computer says no/yes.
    It's 14 years old so no problem and renewal will probably be possible next year.
    Also different companies have different cut off points so some will be 16 years.

The brother has moved from being a named driver to being the main driver on our 2005 Avensis.

He's 25 and managed to get it done for about €1,200. Had 4 years named driver NCB, which they accepted. Did it with Aviva as well (via a broker), which was interesting as I know they've a reputation for not taking on new drivers on cars that 'old'. I was amazed he got it insured so cheaply (relatively speaking), although he has no penalty points. Not technically 15 years old I admit, although as near as makes no difference since it was registered at the start of 2005.

I got my insurance for renewed today on my 2003 BMW 325 for €716, exactly one euro more than this time last year, can't really complain about that either considering it's over 16 years old (about the only thing on it that's cheap really:pac:). This is with RSA (via a broker). This is fully comprehensive with step back cover.

We've always used O'Mahony Boylan Golden Insurance Brokers and they've always looked after us, so I'd suggest anyone who's struggling to get an 'old' car insured give them a call, you might be able to keep you 'old' car insured at a reasonable price for a bit longer:)!

I see no reason to get rid of perfectly good cars if they're working away fine and have valid NCTs.

I can't help but think that there is collusion between the Insurance Company's and the Bank's, between them forcing people into credit deals to buy a replacement car, when they cannot get insurance for their existing car.

Don't forget the government who want the VRT from new car sales.

I have owned my 1997 car since Feb 2014, is that not long enough? I could only get 2 companies to quote me March of this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I think the Car Valeters Association (the CVA) are in on the collusion too, given that people keep new cars in better condition than old bangers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It's very much a computer says no/yes.
    It's 14 years old so no problem and renewal will probably be possible next year.
    Also different companies have different cut off points so some will be 16 years.

It certainly is. I remember when I tried to get my car insured this time two years ago Aviva were not accepting new policies unless the car was 2004 or newer. So even though it was technically 14 years old Aviva were considering it to be 15. So something must have changed with them since then, which is definitely a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...well I tried Aviva for a 2006 Clio 1.2 and "computer said No". So I retried, but put in my 01 Audi and....no problem.

Literally, zero logic there.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...well I tried Aviva for a 2006 Clio 1.2 and "computer said No". So I retried, but put in my 01 Audi and....no problem.

Literally, zero logic there.

No there is loads of logic there but it's a combination of so many factors. It's because that massive number of potential factors are not public that the decisions can sometime seem bizarre.
    The blanket ban that many companies have on older cars with a cutoff age is the weird one because it is not based on risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

I drive a nissan almera 00, my insurance third party fire& theft is €845 per year.is this a reasonable price or am I being ripped off ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Leilak

I have 04 almera and pay 800 tpft

Advertisement