Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC on ESPN+ 13: De Randamie vs. Ladd

• 13-07-2019 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭

event about to start, bt pick it up at 11

312bb5h.jpg

De randamie to bounce back for me as long as it stays standing

big fight for montano also, think she has a decent shot here.

no household names here but I like these match ups, see a few wars here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Looking forward to seeing Bektic again, just goes to show how competitive this sport is when someone as talented as he is isn't ranked higher than #12.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,808 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Looking forward to seeing Bektic again, just goes to show how competitive this sport is when someone as talented as he is isn't ranked higher than #12.

crazy he's only that

I see him winning the first two and emmet swinging for the rafters again same as last time

great kicking by hall there

only a matter of time before he lands again and sinks in a sub

my god ryan hall for me has to be one of the most frustrating fighters to
    fight in a very long time, elusive as feck but can kick pretty well
    I don't think anyone will be calling him out anytime soon but again he's
    only beaten Goat, maynard and bj before tonight

he makes mousasi look nervous in there :D

hall v gracie needs to happen after gracie subs swanson

montano up next, needs to make a point here after ducking valentino...who can blame her :eek:

Nicco looking crazy strong and impressive so far... 135 suits her!

• Advertisement

great comeback by pena, would have put the house on montano after round one

Yeah, good fight and Pena deserved it in the end. Glad for Nicco that she had a good performance - must have been tough to come back after the 125 debacles and the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Delighted for Faber! What a finish!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Delighted for Faber, I gave him little chance of winning that but as a wrestler, he always has that overhand right and if it lands as clean as that, it can put any bantamweight down.

Don’t think it’ll be the start of any sustained comeback for him, but a great moment in his home town. Can’t begrudge him a win like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Did I just see Josh Rosentall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Herb a bit too quick with the stoppage there. At least i can go to sleep early though!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That was a tad early IMO.

Hopefully it might be enough to convince her to stop cutting so much weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

A TAD? Herb Dean stinks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Amazingfun wrote: »

To be fair she did look out of it when he actually stepped in, she should've turned instantly instead just sat there facing the wrong way for longer than she should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Autecher

I wonder if Aspen’s weight cut had an effect oh Herb’s decision to stop the fight so soon? He would have seen her at the morning weigh-ins, how could that not factor in to his decision really?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I wouldn't be surprised if Herb took her shocking weigh in yesterday into account. Saw her sitting in a daze after 1 punch and decided he didn't want to chance anything really bad happening to her. Early stoppage yes and i know Herb can be dodgy but i can see why he might have done it.

Beaming for Faber, hope he gets the title shot, as mad as that would be, and wrecks Henry. Man, that would be epic.

Its obvious why herb stopped it, after she got dropped she just spent too long in the same position without moving and facing away from her opponent, acting like she didn't know where she was. At that point in time she showed she could no longer defend herself, you have to react immediately, if you don't it shows you are out of it. Its no good being able to after its stopped, you have to be able at all times. Nothing controversial about that stoppage imo.

can't believe faber beat an up and comer like simon, totally wrote him off

emmet you can never write off with that kind of power, some night that
    was for the team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Ladd looked like a total zombie, I don't think I have any huge issue with that stoppage.

Delighted to see Faber get a KO win, did not see that coming. Guy physically looks amazing for 40 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

martyos121 wrote: »
    That was a tad early IMO.

Hopefully it might be enough to convince her to stop cutting so much weight.
    Amazingfun wrote: »

Based on how she reacted in the seconds after the stoppage, I don'k it was early at all. Herb was on the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The Ryan Hall fight was fascinating. I love watching the likes of Maia, Charles Oliviera and himself get to work on people. Shame the crowd didn’t appreciate him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

The Ryan Hall fight was fascinating. I love watching the likes of Maia, Charles Oliviera and himself get to work on people. Shame the crowd didn’t appreciate him

But bro, he wouldn't even stand and bang with him dude.

Kept throwing those pussy kicks and then flopping on the floor

Fascinating and stupid at the same time. The way he keeps falling down on purpose gets annoying very quickly as it literally never works and he just gets told to get back up. If you want the fight on the ground, find a way to get it there, not fall down and hope your opponent is stupid enough to engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

spix wrote: »
    Fascinating and stupid at the same time. The way he keeps falling down on purpose gets annoying very quickly as it literally never works and he just gets told to get back up. If you want the fight on the ground, find a way to get it there, not fall down and hope your opponent is stupid enough to engage.

Ok, you know that's he's not just "falling down", right?

It's an Imanari roll, but if it's not going to be successful, he doesn't commit fully. It's akin to shooting for takedowns, but with a wary opponent (and Elkins was very wary), it can be difficult to pull off.

The very real threat that it posed, though, was one of the things that stopped Elkins standing in the pocket, or rushing in to close the distance on Hall (the other being kicks to the face)

For the effectiveness of the Imanari roll, watch the Hall fight vs BJ, who has a much superior ground game to Elkins, even in BJ's current state

cletus wrote: »
    Ok, you know that's he's not just "falling down", right?

It's an Imanari roll, but if it's not going to be successful, he doesn't commit fully. It's akin to shooting for takedowns, but with a wary opponent (and Elkins was very wary), it can be difficult to pull off.

The very real threat that it posed, though, was one of the things that stopped Elkins standing in the pocket, or rushing in to close the distance on Hall (the other being kicks to the face)

For the effectiveness of the Imanari roll, watch the Hall fight vs BJ, who has a much superior ground game to Elkins, even in BJ's current state

Plenty of times he falls down on purpose. I'm not talking about when he rolls and ties to grab a leg, sometimes he literally falls down when theres contact which definitely wasn't heavy enough to make him fall, it happens far too often. Its probably a side effect of his imanari roll style, its in his nature to fall to the ground over and over again even if hes having no success with it. Thats when it gets annoying to watch. If hes being successful sure you can argue it is interesting, but just seeing the ref stepping in every 20 seconds to tell him to get up gets annoying pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If it made Elkins run away it was a pretty successful way of getting out of the pocket.

I’m not sure exactly what time you mean. He fell a few times on spin kicks and was happy to take the ground. But I don’t remember if he was knocked down easily. He may have been, I was only half watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He was being successful though. He could create space at will or force disengagement because Elkins was too afraid of his ground game, which also meant he could throw kicks without any real danger. Few times he used the roll to actually engage with Elkins successfully which in turn made him even more hesitant to engage. It might be boring at times but it works effectively and his general striking was quite decent, he landed a few great kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

He was being successful though. He could create space at will or force disengagement because Elkins was too afraid of his ground game, which also meant he could throw kicks without any real danger. Few times he used the roll to actually engage with Elkins successfully which in turn made him even more hesitant to engage. It might be boring at times but it works effectively and his general striking was quite decent, he landed a few great kicks.
    Threw some nice Wonderboy style side kicks, trains in the same gym doesn't he?

Spix, genuine question, not trying to be a troll etc. Are you a "casual" MMA fan or more "hardcore"?
    Like, would you enjoy watching a technical ground game style match or more stand and bang kind of ones?

Ryan Hall can be amazing when he gets hold of a leg but his fights often consist of him just spamming imanari rolls without much if any setup. Failing again and again, rolling into empty space. Ref coming in every 20 seconds to stand him up. That's not entertaining. I'd happily watch hours of him competing in BJJ but flopping around on his own is not fun to watch.

And spix is right - there were several times when he just fell onto his ass on purpose at the end of a kick.

To be entirely fair to him the first two rounds were not all bad, he was employing a variety of kicks and having some success with them. But by the third round, knowing he was up on points he went back to his usual tricks. Just flopping around, rolling into empty space and literally turning his back to Elkins and running away while watching the clock run down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement