Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange one on UK student Finance

• 14-07-2017 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hey guys, was wondering if anyone has experience what has happened to me below.

I went to a further Education College this year and completed my course with all distinctions :). The course I want to do is in the UK, I flew over for the assessments and interviews and got a place. I applied for the Student Loan in April when the application opened. Everything went well, I was out of the country in Australia on a temporary basis a few years ago, I didn't lie on my application and put down the dates I was out of Ireland. The Student Loans European team said once I got confirmation from the Australian government stating I was out of Europe and Ireland on temporary visa and not a residential one, I would get the funding. I got this information for them and they accepted it. I could have easily said I hadn't been out of the country but I didn't wanna lie. I was to get a acceptance for my student loan this week but I had not received anything in the post.

I rang up student finance England's European team. I was told because I had stated I studied a level 5 course this year, I was deemed ineligible to receive the student loan as I had done a level 5 course this year. I explained it was only a fetac/QQI course and I had covered the fees, there were about 1100 euro I think. This baffled me as I know a lot of nursing students alongside other students do a fetac course to gain access into courses within the UK. What really baffled me was I know quite alot of Irish students heading over doing the same course as me within the University and others had their loans accepted and others who done a similar level 5 to get into the University course, they all stated they had done a level 5 course this year.

With a bit of research I rang up student fiance again, from what I gather, the person who assessed my application has transferred my QQI(fetac) level 5 award to the UK level 5 which is different to here. From the national frameworks award I can see my level 5 only transfers over to at highest, A levels in the UK. So basically the assert of my application has thought I got a UK level 5 which would make me exempt from a student loan.

They've told me to appeal it and I have express posted a letter explaining alongside a copy of the national framework qualifications.

Anyhow, wondering if anyone has experience this.
    Cheers

Advertisement