Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zappi charge points

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭insular1

stimpson wrote: »
    It should be noted that you can extend the clamp cable if you like. There is no real need for a harvi unless you’re miles from the fuse box.
    My zappi will be going on the wall of the garage. We have a separate fuse box in the garage but the main one is in the house. Anyone know if the clamp be connected to the fuse box in the garage or does it need to go to the main one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭denismc

insular1 wrote: »
    My zappi will be going on the wall of the garage. We have a separate fuse box in the garage but the main one is in the house. Anyone know if the clamp be connected to the fuse box in the garage or does it need to go to the main one?

It would need to go to the main one to see what your total house load is, running you charger and an electric shower together might be too much load for your main circuit breaker which is typically 64 amp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

denismc wrote: »
    It would need to go to the main one to see what your total house load is, running you charger and an electric shower together might be too much load for your main circuit breaker which is typically 64 amp

This.

The clamp sits between the meter and the main fuse box to monitor the total load on the house. If the load exceeds the set amount then the Zappi will reduce the current going to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

You can use a second CT clamp on the feed coming from your PV assuming it’s coming into the fuse box it would be handy enough. They sell individual clamps on the website.

Sorry I'm possibly not being 100% clear on my question.

I don't want to install things unnecessarily. So do i need

A-A CT clamp or a Harvi?
    B-Both
    C-Neither

thanks

daheff wrote: »
    Sorry I'm possibly not being 100% clear on my question.

I don't want to install things unnecessarily. So do i need

A-A CT clamp or a Harvi?
    B-Both
    C-Neither

thanks

You need one CT clamp (included in the box) to monitor your incoming supply.

If you run PV, you need a second clamp to monitor PV production (and let the box use it's smarts to charge only when the sun is shining)

If either of these clamps need to live a long way from the Zappi then you can either extend the lead with twisted pair cable (phone or Ethernet cable) up to 100m. If this is still not feasible, then you can use a Harvi to send the signal wirelessly back to the Zappi instead.

Full manual is up here -> https://myenergi.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/zappi-manual-v1.2.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

You know there is 600 euro grant available for this installation?

yep. Aware of the grant. Thanks though

Had somebody out to me last night with a quote. Seemed quite reasonable, and for zappi 2 charger.

If you run PV, you need a second clamp to monitor PV production (and let the box use it's smarts to charge only when the sun is shining)

If either of these clamps need to live a long way from the Zappi then you can either extend the lead with twisted pair cable (phone or Ethernet cable) up to 100m. If this is still not feasible, then you can use a Harvi to send the signal wirelessly back to the Zappi instead.

]
    Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

Full manual is up here -> https://myenergi.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/zappi-manual-v1.2.pdf

Hi,

I am getting a Zappi Gen 2 in the next month or so.

I have a 6mm2 cable run from the fuse board out to the front of the house. The distance is < 10m Id say.

This should be short enough for the electrician to add the included CT clamp at the fuse board?

Apologies if I am confusing things.

I am going the self purchase route and getting a local electrician to do the install.

Nedved85 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a 6mm2 cable run from the fuse board out to the front of the house. The distance is < 10m Id say.

This should be short enough for the electrician to add the included CT clamp at the fuse board?

I am going the self purchase route and getting a local electrician to do the install.

I don't think the cable on the clamp is that long. 3m I think. If you're in dublin PM me and I'll hook you up with 10m of Ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Hi,

If the 6mm2 cable is already run it would probably be easier/cheaper/less holes in the walls/quicker to buy a harvi instead.
    As said above the CT cable can be extended, it's all detailed clearly in the manual (linked above) with diagrams etc..
    The cable on the CT would need to be extended if distance is 10m.

I don't think the cable on the clamp is that long. 3m I think. If you're in dublin PM me and I'll hook you up with 10m of Ethernet cable.

Cheers, based down south..

I think I'll need to do a good read of the manual as I am probably asking fairly simplistic questions.

The 6mm2 cable is already installed from the board to the front of the house from last year (New Build, got the electrician to run it).

It's not in a duct (I'm fairly certain of that) so running a cat6 network cable to the charge point would not be that easy/desireable.... I don't really want to go drilling around the house right now.

The CT clamp is required to tell the Zappi what the house is using - I'm presuming.

In my case a harvi might be required?

• Advertisement

Cheers, based down south..

I think I'll need to do a good read of the manual as I am probably asking fairly simplistic questions.

The 6mm2 cable is already installed from the board to the front of the house from last year (New Build, got the electrician to run it).

It's not in a duct (I'm fairly certain of that) so running a cat6 network cable to the charge point would not be that easy/desireable.... I don't really want to go drilling around the house right now.

The CT clamp is required to tell the Zappi what the house is using - I'm presuming.

In my case a harvi might be required?

Yeah, sounds like it’s the best option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,069 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Is the 6mm2 cable plastered in?
    You could tie a string to it and pull it back and then pull the cable and an additional Cat6 cable back to the charge point again.

Going wired is always better than wireless but if its plastered in, then fair enough... needs must.

KCross wrote: »
    Is the 6mm2 cable plastered in?
    You could tie a string to it and pull it back and then pull the cable and an additional Cat6 cable back to the charge point again.

Going wired is always better than wireless but if its plastered in, then fair enough... needs must.

I'd say it's plastered in. It was more or less retrofitted by the electrician just before the plasterers plastered the house.

Missed the boat on getting it ducted out unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

I'd say it's plastered in. It was more or less retrofitted by the electrician just before the plasterers plastered the house.

Missed the boat on getting it ducted out unfortunately.

You'll need 2 harvis, one for house usage and one to monitor solar panels

Each harvi can take 3 Clamps so stick one up by the fuse box where both supplies come in. Be grand.

https://myenergi.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/harvi_manual_v1.0.pdf

You don't need to monitor PV production for the Zappi to work, you just need to measure the surplus going to grid therefore a single CT is all that's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

deegs wrote: »
    Got mine done yesterday.
    Zappi €600 (bought myself)
    15m 6mm power cable, 20m cat6 data cable, rcbo, €80 (bought myself)
    I drilled the holes, cut out the walls and fitted conduit.
    Electrician connected, signed off, installed rcbo and tested in 2 hours for €100

Total 180 after grant

Serious rip off republic with these charger installs.....
    Go with a local spark and educate them.... Don't waste your money on the most expensive in Ireland....

I got a lot of pms asking for my electricians details as he covers the whole cork area.
    I can't recommend him enough, after so many calls that went unanswered Tim Mc Sweeney was the most professional and helpful. I think it's ok to post his number as it's to his business... it's Tim mcsweeney @ 0861961716

Hi all,

Is there any actual benefit of the Zappi Gen 2 over the Gen 1?

I have a Leaf at the moment (So I need a type 1 connector right now) but it is pretty likely we will change our second car to an EV next year/the year after, which will most likely take a Type 2 connection.

The untethered gen 2 would suit that scenario, but the cost of the gen 2 is a decent bit more and I am struggling to see any of the benefits?

It is mentioned here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC-OZhBg_xc&feature=youtu.be&t=277

that you can just change the head on the Zappi later on if needed (ie fit a type 2 if needed)

There are also adapters available to convert a type 1 connection to a type 2. eg:

https://evcables.co.uk/index.php/type-2-to-type-2-converter.html

Any thoughts?

Hi all,

I have a Leaf at the moment (So I need a type 1 connector right now) but it is pretty likely we will change our second car to an EV next year/the year after, which will most likely take a Type 2 connection.

The untethered gen 2 would suit that scenario, but the cost of the gen 2 is a decent bit more and I am struggling to see any of the benefits?

It is mentioned here :

that you can just change the head on the Zappi later on if needed (ie fit a type 2 if needed)

There are also adapters available to convert a type 1 connection to a type 2. eg:

Any thoughts?

I'd have waited for untethered if I could as I already had to buy a type1 - type 2 cable. Adaptors are as expensive as a charging cable (€150 plus) and a type 2 cable is around the 100 quid mark so will be cheaper in the long run. I fI was planning to change soon I would probably hold off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Hi all,

It is mentioned here :

Any thoughts?

I would consider installing the current Type 2 Zappi now and then purchase a Type 2 to Type 1 adaptor. This means that you will only need the adaptor at the moment with the Leaf and when you change to a Type 2 vehicle you will be adaptor-free and can sell it on.

• Advertisement

I would consider installing the current Type 2 Zappi now and then purchase a Type 2 to Type 1 adaptor. This means that you will only need the adaptor at the moment with the Leaf and when you change to a Type 2 vehicle you will be adaptor-free and can sell it on.

I'm actually swaying towards this idea. I predominantly charge at work so taking out the adapter when I need to is not really a problem and it future proofs me whilst keeping the bill down.

I'm actually swaying towards this idea. I predominantly charge at work so taking out the adapter when I need to is not really a problem and it future proofs me whilst keeping the bill down.

Another possible benefit:

Perhaps more knowledgeable boardies might be able to confirm or rule out this but if you have a type 2 to type 1 adaptor you may also be able to use the Fast AC cable at FCPs should the DC be in use?

You may never need to use it this way but given the current public charging network the more options one has the better.

Another possible benefit:

Perhaps more knowledgeable boardies might be able to confirm or rule out this but if you have a type 2 to type 1 adaptor you may also be able to use the Fast AC cable at FCPs should the DC be in use?

You may never need to use it this way but given the current public charging network the more options one has the better.

I think that does work alright, I'd be limited to 3.3 kw in my Leaf I'd say so I'd be getting strange looks if a Zoe etc was waiting :p

I think that does work alright, I'd be limited to 3.3 kw in my Leaf I'd say so I'd be getting strange looks if a Zoe etc was waiting :p

Sure aren't all us EV drivers just one big happy family... :D

Finally got my charger installed, managed to get a few kWh into the car today from the solar panels.
    Not too bad for a snowy day in January.
    471600.jpg

Finally got my charger installed, managed to get a few kWh into the car today from the solar panels.
    Not too bad for a snowy day in January

Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Sweet! What PV setup do you have denismc?

Finished my own PV upgrade just a few minutes ago. Almost 4kwp now, all panels up and connected, just waiting for the electrician to install the inverter in the next few days hopefully...

unkel wrote: »
    Sweet! What PV setup do you have denismc?

Finished my own PV upgrade just a few minutes ago. Almost 4kwp now, all panels up and connected, just waiting for the electrician to install the inverter in the next few days hopefully...

I have just over 2kW which is all my roof space would allow, installed by a company in Cork last April, and in 9 months it has produced just under 1700 kWh which I am very pleased with.
    I remember producing over 12 kWh a day last summer, if I get the same this year it should give me a nice few miles from solar energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

Has anyone gotten their Zappi stuck in the holster thing? I've had it 2 days, and after we put the end of the cable into the holder, it got stuck.

I pulled, pushed, twisted etc and it just won't come out. Any ideas.....

471816.jpg

Thanks!!

• Advertisement

Is that a type 2? My type 1 has a button on top for disconnecting. I didn’t get a holster though and I leave it draped over my post box.

Might be worth calling their support number.

Advertisement