Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Zappi charge points

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,068 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    For the price Myenergi are charging, you'd expect something high quality and reliable. And the new model is going to be significantly more expensive again. There's worth less than €100 worth of components in a car charger lads. It nowhere justifies a GBP700 price tag. They are ticking the p1ss here.

Its expensive alright.
    There is a bit more than €100 inside the box though. A replacement controller for a cheap Rolec is €100+. Add in the RCD and contactor and the casing... maybe €150. That would be retail though.... I'm sure they buy in bulk alot cheaper.

The thing with the Zappi is the main cost probably isnt the hardware, its the software in the controller. You dont develop this load balancing, load limiting, Solar PV integration stuff for small money.... R&D costs need to be recouped and software development isnt cheap.

There are more expensive EVSE's btw, that dont do any of what Zappi does so they are not alone with the pricing! :)

Check out an Andersen or BMW EVSE... they'll make your eyes water!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I agree you pay for their ecosystem, with the Zappi, Harvi, Eddi thus the software to get them all talking to each other. But non of this is rocket science. If you're handy and you can do a bit of programming, you could accomplish the system buy buying the components for the open source Open EVSE system. And have the same functionality as Zappi in relation to charging the car with excess solar PV. Didn't n97_mini here assemble his own OPEN EVSE recently?

unkel wrote: »
    But non of this is rocket science. If you're handy and you can do a bit of programming, you could accomplish the system buy buying the components for the open source Open EVSE system.

What % of people would be able to do this or even consider it.... i'd say a much smaller percentage than currently own EV's! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I'm going to reserve full judgment on MyEnergi until after I get the app for the Hub.

I have run into a few small issues myself.

1. The rubber cover that is "IP Rated" is not fit for purpose. I had to install a wall connector to stop water getting into the charger head.

2. The setup process for the Hub is not trivial. It took me about 90 mins and a lot of retrying etc to get it to work.

Hopefully the app roll out is smooth. They are better off waiting until it's fully ready, instead of releasing a half finished version.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

KCross wrote: »
    What % of people would be able to do this or even consider it.... i'd say a much smaller percentage than currently own EV's! :D

It was tempting me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭_ned_

ECO+ mode with the Boost Timer is Zappi's way of providing nightrate charging. I don't want to use the car timers because that would make it awkward getting a quick top-up during the day if I need it. (I use Boost mode for a top-up). If I leave it in FAST always, then the car will charge once plugged in, on day rate.

_ned_ wrote: »
    ECO+ mode with the Boost Timer is Zappi's way of providing nightrate charging. I don't want to use the car timers because that would make it awkward getting a quick top-up during the day if I need it. (I use Boost mode for a top-up). If I leave it in FAST always, then the car will charge once plugged in, on day rate.

I dont know about the Outlander but other EV's I've used have a timer override button that is simple to use. Does the Outlander have a timer override button?

You set the cars timer for night rate electricity so when you plug it in it sits and waits until night rate kicks in.... when you want a daytime charge you simply press the override timer button in the car and it charges immediately..... thats certainly better than checking the car at midnight everyday... until they fix the Zappi bug of course!

@KCross: And I have CT2 set to "OFF". I'm wondering if there the software is actually turning it off, though. I'm going to try shorting it as well, just to be sure, in case there is noise on this input. That could affect ECO+ mode.
    To anyone who got the Hub, is it useful? Do they have an app working and talking to the Zappi yet?

@unkel: "you could accomplish the system buy buying the components for the open source Open EVSE system."
    Right on. That's my next port of call if myenergi can't/won't fix this. Definitely not rocket science! And the EVSE standard is very straight-forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Nedved85 wrote: »
    1. The rubber cover that is "IP Rated" is not fit for purpose. I had to install a wall connector to stop water getting into the charger head.
    I was on to them about that and they said it's not supposed to be waterproof at all, it's just a dust cap. A wall mount should have come in the box. Ours didn't either...

TheChizler wrote: »
    I was on to them about that and they said it's not supposed to be waterproof at all, it's just a dust cap. A wall mount should have come in the box. Ours didn't either...

They do include them now, I just didn't want to install it on my wall :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

For what it's worth, I've had my Zappi since last July and have never had a charging issue with it.

The cap does fill with water, but I got onto myenergi about that and they sent me a holster FOC.

The plug is quite stiff as has been mentioned - especially when taking it out in the morning - and, not being a qualified (or even unqualified) electrician, I'm a little wary of spraying WD-40 into it.

@iniall: WD40 is a water repellent. Helps promote good contact especially on the two small control pins. No danger. Once you unplug, both the car and the EVSE automatically disconnect from power, so perfectly safe. I had one issue just once with the Outlander connection due to damp after hard rain, that was quickly sorted with a squirt of WD40 in plug and socket.
    @KCross: I'm not sure if there is an override. We got the car into the local Mitisubishi dealer for the recall issues (handbrake, engine management) and we lost all WIFI and timer capability in the car since then. We called the dealer about it, turned up for an appointment to get it fixed, and they couldn't fix it. We're waiting for a call-back...
    Still waiting... Looking at you, Dan!
    So I can't do any fancy timer stuff at all on the car. More importantly, I can't preheat the car, which I really miss, because it's a safety feature. Coming out at 5.45 in the morning to a car with fully clear windows and wing mirrors was just a joy, never mind the comfort of stepping into a nice warm car, with no impact on the miserable EV range. So I really miss that feature until they get it fixed.
    I have the car one year now. It's been a joy. Wish it had a bigger battery. They could throw out the engine and stuff more battery in there. Driving electric is sooo nice, that it hurts when the engine kicks in. Still, we've cut our tax and fuel bill down to 25% of what it was. Can't wait to go pure electric!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

The little circular button on the side of the Outlander keyfob is the timer override button. It looks like a clock with OFF underneath.

Oh, and you can set timers on the satnav screen. One issue with the car timer though is that power for the preheat comes from the traction battery. This is why I use the Zappi timed boost instead.

@stimpson: Thanks for that, will check it out when I get home. Appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,186 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I should be getting a Zappi fitted in a few weeks. Essentially free as the guy doing my solar installation is charging €700 supplied and fitted. €600 back for the grant and then I'll sell my old Rolec.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I should be getting a Zappi fitted in a few weeks. Essentially free as the guy doing my solar installation is charging €700 supplied and fitted. €600 back for the grant and then I'll sell my old Rolec.

Feel free to PM when you are ready to sell your old one.. in the process of ordering a car and I don't qualify for the grant as it is a company car, so looking for 2nd hand..

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Feel free to PM when you are ready to sell your old one.. in the process of ordering a car and I don't qualify for the grant as it is a company car, so looking for 2nd hand..

I'd be interested too! If it's a Type 2, 32Amp one.

In the interests of fairness, it'll be going up on the "for sale" section here on boards and on the Irish EV Owners buy&sell page.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

In the interests of fairness, it'll be going up on the "for sale" section here on boards and on the Irish EV Owners buy&sell page.

Surely a thunderdome style fight to the death would be more fun.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Surely a thunderdome style fight to the death would be more fun.

Hey if you organise it I'll provide the prize.

• Advertisement

Anybody have an email address for Zappi support?

I emailed them via Web form last week and they replied pretty quick, but told me that the tech support team would follow up with more info. Nothing since.

I'm looking for clarification and advice on the possible issues with solar connectivity reported here.

sales@myenergi.uk is the only one I have - worth a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

support@myenergi.uk

I’ve found the support team to be pretty good. Responses within 24 hours. You can call them too. Number is on the website.

Finally heard back from Myenergi, they say to avoid a DC coupled battery:
    Myenergi wrote:
    The Zappi prefers to have an AC coupled battery due to the fact that you can apply a CT clamp directly to the feed of the battery so that in your case the Zappi will see what the AC battery present. The CT clamp will need to be set to "AC Battery" in the CT options. 

The DC coupled batteries can be problematic. The issue they have is that they can discharge if they detect power from the grid, which means the Zappi will be using the stored power from the battery to charge, effectively discharging the battery. Within the Zappi you can configure export margins 100 W / 200 W / 300 W which means the the power will be ignored but this doesn't always work effectively.

And the quote I have for solar includes..... A DC battery. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

That's fine and normal.

Check what the hybrid inverter export margin is and set the Zappi to be higher. That way the battery will not deplete and it will also take priority over the Zappi.

It shouldn't discharge the battery as far as I am aware.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Off topic, sorry but Rolec are launching a smart charger too.
    It can charge your EV from Solar alone or solar plus grid.

Will be available in 3.6kw and 7kw versions.

Evd-Burner wrote: »
    That's fine and normal.

Check what the hybrid inverter export margin is and set the Zappi to be higher. That way the battery will not deplete and it will also take priority over the Zappi.

It shouldn't discharge the battery as far as I am aware.
    Thanks

Why the hell are the Zappi manufacturers telling me that it will?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

if dc batteries dont work with zappi what type/make of batteries work best with zappi ,any reply appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

jimmyging wrote: »
    if dc batteries dont work with zappi what type/make of batteries work best with zappi ,any reply appreciated
    What do you mean exactly?

All batteries are DC ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

Originally Posted by Myenergi
    The Zappi prefers to have an AC coupled battery due to the fact that you can apply a CT clamp directly to the feed of the battery so that in your case the Zappi will see what the AC battery present. The CT clamp will need to be set to "AC Battery" in the CT options.

The DC coupled batteries can be problematic. The issue they have is that they can discharge if they detect power from the grid, which means the Zappi will be using the stored power from the battery to charge, effectively discharging the battery. Within the Zappi you can configure export margins 100 W / 200 W / 300 W which means the the power will be ignored but this doesn't always work effectively.

Advertisement