Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Graham Linehan given police warning for "transphobia"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

they're eating each other.

Will he be sent to the gulag or get away with some light electroshock therapy?

Clearly re-education training is in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Today I learned what doxx, deadnaming and TERF mean

I’m feeling old and struggling to keep up :(

Does anyone else find the term "deadnaming" incredibly crude and insulting? Parents gave you that name and obviously it means a lot to them, to refer to it in such a crass manner seems very mean spirited.
    Then again, a lot of people I've seen use it tend to be unaware the world doesn't revolve entirely around them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Two ends of the same sh1t stick was how I filed this Spitter Twat away.

Yeah, yeah spoonerisms aren't funny... Except for Goney Bee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

As it's supposed to be a news article in the 'paper of record'

The Independent was never Irelands Paper of Record.

Thats the Irish Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

If only we could banish the two of them to some remote Island. Could be a good sitcom

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Whatever about the spat, it comes from a ridiculous start.

Either you have male/female genitals or you don't.

Self identifying is just mad. But it is the cause du jour I suppose and fires up the radicals.

The big issue is men self identifying as female and entering women only spaces. Just because they can. Don't hear of many females identifying as men entering their spaces. Well it is just a ridiculous thing this SI stuff. Off you go. But as a woman I really am concerned about SI male to female entering my space.

Such a tiny proportion of the population can cause all this grief. Sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Linehan is very talented but doesn’t come across as the nicest chap. Then again, neither does this woman he’s spatting with. There’s a pair of them in it.

Not being nice doesn't need to involve police though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

I hear you’re a transphobiaist now Father

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Patww79 wrote: »

I blame the Police for taking these things seriously and not telling these twits to get over it and stop wasting Police time and resources.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

The worst thing about the article is the use of "Ms Hayden"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

There's definitely a pair of them in it here but if I had police calling to my door about sh1t I'd posted on Twitter I'd be taking a good long look at myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Horrible things in store for the UK if they don't cop on quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

amen wrote: »
    The Independent was never Irelands Paper of Record.

Thats the Irish Times.

I was referring to a quote from the Times, which is considered the 'paper of record' in the UK.

• Site Banned Posts: 18 Afro Turner

Watching the left destroy itself over the trans nonsense is delightful.

Keep it up you freaks!

Does anyone else find the term "deadnaming" incredibly crude and insulting? Parents gave you that name and obviously it means a lot to them, to refer to it in such a crass manner seems very mean spirited.
    Then again, a lot of people I've seen use it tend to be unaware the world doesn't revolve entirely around them.

I know quite a few people who curse the names their parents gave them.

I don't like the term 'dead-naming' if it's being used to describe someone accidentally referring to a transgender person by their given name. Anyone can err, and tolerance should cut both ways. Big difference between making a mistake (I'd be willing to bet that a lot of transgender people accidentally 'deadname' themselves from time to time) and doing it because you refuse to acknowledge their identity and want to make them feel bad. Which is what Linehan was doing.

Although I laugh I do feel bad for the Brits. Imagine living in such police state that calling someone the wrong can name can bring the police to your doorstep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Although I laugh I do feel bad for the Brits. Imagine living in such police state that calling someone the wrong can name can bring the police to your doorstep.

Remember this is the country where you can be convicted of a hatecrime for posting someone else's rap lyrics online :

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-43816921

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

The UK is a bit of a dystopian future really in a lot of ways. Especially considering it has a right wing government. You really have to wonder how much worse could the newspeak be if labour were in power.

wexie wrote: »
    Remember this is the country where you can be convicted of a hatecrime for posting someone else's rap lyrics online :

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-43816921

These are the same people who once dominated the world...

• Advertisement

How would you like it if someone started calling you by one of your previous usernames? I'm joking.

He didn't just call her by the wrong name; he sought out her previous identity and published it to his 600,000 followers. Having that kind of a following carries a certain responsibility - something Linehan himself used to acknowledge (if he was retweeting someone who attacked him or said something stupid, he'd remove their username to spare them getting a backlash from his more sycophantic followers).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Patww79 wrote: »

Did I say it did?

I hear you’re a transphobiaist now Father

"I'm kind of a trans-sceptic"

Zp5w6XRqRY9H.gif

These are the same people who once dominated the world...

Some of em seem to think they still do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

'She'.

Meanwhile thousands of English girls get raped (guess they're not important enough for metoo) and nothing is done because it would be 'racist' to intervene.

Joke country.
    c5ef642248db48b3ad05f9b04295d432.jpg
    You're nicked, Sunshine

How would you like it if someone started calling you by one of your previous usernames? I'm joking.

He didn't just call her by the wrong name; he sought out her previous identity and published it to his 600,000 followers.

While I think what he did was stupid and dickish...

What's the point in denying that she was once that person? And, if there are any actions that person should have been held accountable for they haven't just gone away?

Are we just to start pretending that trans people just materialised at whatever age they decided to come out (or whatever the correct term is?)

There are two people here behaving poorly. From what I understand he wasn't the only one posting information that didn't need to be posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,780 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Stephanie/Tony/Stephen = Gemma O'Doherty

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Trans is a diversionary tactic, look.... over there, while they do what they want to do anyway. Talking politics here.

Oh and while I am at it would anyone be able to tell me why LGBT includes the T word?

I get that they are genetically challenged, but are not Lesbian, Gay, or Bisexual. Fkn baffled at the way Trans have infiltrated. But there we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

he lost a ball earlier in the year

That reminds me of an old joke.

What do you call a Russian with three balls?

Whoja Nikabollockov.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The more I try to understand transexual issue...the more confused I get.

Advertisement