Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 Leaf

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Would be a wise decision...keep legacy Leaf owners coming back, attract current CCS users..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,114 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The efficiency and ability at higher speeds shown by Ioniq is their primary goal.
    They have to at least match those and also offer a greater range with a bigger battery option.
    The cosmetics would be very secondary for me.

They don't have to really, if they have a good form of automation that could in my opinion sell very well and I don't think too many people would be concerned about efficiency if it's got the range to meet most of their needs.

As I said previously, I'd like a larger EV, preferably estate or SUV and I wouldn't be too concerned if it went 20-30 Kms less than the Ioniq, though I'd be assuming it will have a larger battery anyway.

Whilst we have an EV, I would not see people generally, totally relying on a car that is only doing about 200km per charge.
    I still think 300km + is needed, to sway a major tranche of motorists.

Efficiency isn't about the cost, as that is low whatever way one charges, it's the overall range per battery charge.

Range and the right car, not everyone wants a small hatch.

A lot of people just don't get electric cars anyway and think they're rubbish.

• Advertisement

Haven't come across that, much. Lot's of interest, people open minded.
    Providing an electric car, that can cater for their needs will lead to a major change, IMO.
    I don't see EV as staying a niche. I see us, EV owners as early adoptors.
    Mainstream can follow, if the car cater for their needs.
    Yes, it needs a range of makers and models in the market place.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,774 ✭✭✭✭unkel

At the moment were in the ha'penny place. You can have a reasonable range family size EV for reasonable money, but there is only one and it's hard to get (Ioniq). There are others, but they are either too small, too expensive or don't have a reasonable enough range for a lot more people to consider going EV. And there are no estates / SUVs / MPVs (unless you are prepared to pay massive money)

It's just a matter of time though that we will get a much better choice, still for reasonable money. Here in Ireland we are still at innovator level, barely early adopter. In Norway they already are at majority stage. The one thing that struck me as positive is that 85% of UK residents recently said they would consider a full EV for their next car. I wonder what that figure would be here. I'd like to think that most of us in here are helping that figure up by talking to the people around them on a daily basis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

unkel wrote:
    I'd like to think that most of us in here are helping that figure up by talking to the people around them on a daily basis

I've convinced my mum to. She wants one that has 210km range to get door to door from Dublin to limerick with at least 50km left over when she gets there, regardless of outside weather conditions. Hoping the new leaf will have the range she's looking for. It's a pity, if the ioniq had a 40kwh battery it would be perfect for her, she only drives at about 110 on the motorway.

Why does she want 50km left over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Evd-Burner

Would usually do a bit of pottering around the city with her mum, but the main reason is she doesn't want to ever even come close to running out of battery. She always plays on the side of caution!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

There's a lot of education still to be done.

There are some people out there who still believe EVs have 25km range, that we all potter around city centers , suffer anaemic performance and don't know that rapid charging exists. And that's before the running costs argument comes up....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

cros13 wrote: »

There are some people out there who still believe EVs have 25km range, that we all potter around city centers , suffer anaemic performance and don't know that rapid charging exists. And that's before the running costs argument comes up....

I must admit, I knew nothing about rapid charging either until I started to look into EVs. It will be hard to convince the majority to switch to EV if nobody is trying to. The lack of real options is a real disappointment too. Ordinarily, I would never have picked a car that looks like the Leaf. If I wanted a small car, it was an MX5 or an FTO. Otherwise, I would go for larger hatch (old Astra - Mondeo) or large Saloon (E200).

We are really missing the SUV and 7 seater options, but I suspect the latter will be way out of budget if released right now.

The Kia Niro is about the only ordinary man's SUV due for 2018 sometime probably nearer to 2019 perhaps.

Looking forward to seeing that but I doubt it would be available by the time my Leas is up on the Leaf in January. I'm not familiar with the Niro but it looks a decent size. I'm not a fan of Kia though.

I'm absolutely shocked, there is not other model EV from Nissan yet after 6 years, you'd think their entire fleet would be EV at this stage. The Micra EV is due soon but i doubt many people would buy that here judging how few have bought the Zoe, I feel People would see a Micra EV way too expensive when you can buy the petrol for probably 16K same as Zoe, People will see it too similar to the Clio which can be got for 15K. Though in fairness to Zoe the battery lease probably turned the majority of people away from it, Battery leasing made sense in the days of the MK I Leaf (2011-132 reg) where battery life was a good bit worse than the current 24 Kwh. But lease would not make sense today on the current 24 Kwh leaf because the battery is so good, and by the time you need a battery you probably would have paid the guts of two batteries form the cost of leasing.

Anyway, at least the cost of the Leaf is comparable to Diesel versions of a car of it's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Mope

I just bought the car myself (IONIQ) but as soon there is some movement with something bigger (estate version e.g) I would definitely think about it. I always preferred estate cars just for practicality of it and a lot of cars actually do look better in estate version (at least for me)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Anyway, at least the cost of the Leaf is comparable to Diesel versions of a car of it's class.

An SV automatic Pulsar with bells and whistles like the Leaf costs €1500 more than an SV Leaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Yeah... pretty sure that Leaf in Germany wasn't representative of the final product... what with it's two chademo sockets.. :D :

2nd_gen_nissan_leaf_electrek_2.jpg

Here's an interesting question.... what if they bake in support for both Chademo and CCS...considering they appear to have the room?

what double chademo, thats a low power socket to the right , standard fit

It was confirmed , to me , by nissan ireland , 2018 leaf will be chademo

At the moment were in the ha'penny place. You can have a reasonable range family size EV for reasonable money, but there is only one and it's hard to get (Ioniq). There are others, but they are either too small, too expensive or don't have a reasonable enough range for a lot more people to consider going EV. And there are no estates / SUVs / MPVs (unless you are prepared to pay massive money)

This rather unfair to the 30 Kwh Leaf, ( and you are obviously very biased ) . The Leaf is cheaper, has better FCP options at present , has better room in the rear seats for tall passengers and is a known entity with a demonstrable track record since 2011. ( seemingly) Range is slightly less then the Ioniq, but the difference is not enough in my opinion to separate the cars significantly.

what will be far more interesting will be to see Hyundais response to the 2018 Leaf. But the issue will be price positioning for the Ioniq as its arguably already close to expected Model 3 territory ( the I3 is screwed price wise in that regards )

What will Leaf's response to the Ioniq is the first question?
    Efficiency, are motorway speeds seem to be quite diff ATM.
    This gives more range, all other things being relatively equal.

Range has not been resolved to the satisfaction of the majority of motorists.
    That will take another few leaps.

BoatMad wrote: »
    This rather unfair to the 30 Kwh Leaf, ( and you are obviously very biased ) . The Leaf is cheaper

Perhaps a bit unfair not to have mentioned the 30kWh in the same sentence as the Ioniq. And yes I'm biased as an Ioniq owner. And you are not as a Leaf owner? :p

It is more expensive though (no way you can get one for €25k on the road with 6.6kWh charger, both cables and metallic paint), range is significantly less, it is rather old design and tech and the space in the back for 3 people is considerably less. And price for price it is less well equipped, is a lot slower in acceleration and has a lot slower top speed

As a second hand car the Leaf is a smart choice (as I've mentioned many times), but new why one would buy one instead of an Ioniq and pay more is beyond me. Except for the fact that the waiting times for the Ioniq are ridiculously long though of course.

I really believe in moving EVs in to mainstream. This is not a binary contest. We own a 30kWh Leaf, bought one year ago. The Ioniq is now ahead. That's an objective analysis. This is the march forward we need to see, continue apace.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Perhaps a bit unfair not to have mentioned the 30kWh in the same sentence as the Ioniq. And yes I'm biased as an Ioniq owner. And you are not as a Leaf owner? :p

It is more expensive though (no way you can get one for €25k on the road with 6.6kWh charger, both cables and metallic paint), range is significantly less, it is rather old design and tech and the space in the back for 3 people is considerably less. And price for price it is less well equipped, is a lot slower in acceleration and has a lot slower top speed

As a second hand car the Leaf is a smart choice (as I've mentioned many times), but new why one would buy one instead of an Ioniq and pay more is beyond me. Except for the fact that the waiting times for the Ioniq are ridiculously long though of course.

I dont go around knocking the ioniq at every turn however and you do
    no way you can get one for €25k on the road with 6.6kWh charger, both cables and metallic paint),

I paid close to that , my granny cable cost 100 euros
    it is rather old design and tech and the space in the back for 3 people is considerably less. And price for price it is less well equipped

nor is this apt. yes the design is old, but the entertainment, GPS tracking, mapping , etc have all been updated etc . Its missing a few " gizmos", but little of that is relevant to a lot of driving.

Im not saying its the same, arguably the apt comparison will be with the 2018 Leaf.

as for space in the rear, I cannot agree, the leaf has better headroom and that generates a more " fairly " feel , even if the car is not as big dimension wise, this is especially true for tall people .

It would be very strange is the ioniq was similar or inferior to a car on the market in various forms since 2011 !!!!!

Water John wrote: »
    I really believe in moving EVs in to mainstream. This is not a binary contest. We own a 30kWh Leaf, bought one year ago. The Ioniq is now ahead. That's an objective analysis. This is the march forward we need to see, continue apace.

indeed, the same process continues in ICE cars

• Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »

I won't argue each point but your use of the words significant and lot are exaggerated. The Ioniq is obviously better but not significantly or a lot on most measures.

I presume you can't get an Ioniq for €25k anymore so is that measure even relevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Almost every day I see a GoCar i3 plugged into the charger across from Heuston station. I can't be the only one who has a thought that someone needing a charge wouldn't be able to get it because of a car left semi-permanently plugged in like that...

Almost every day I see a GoCar i3 plugged into the charger across from Heuston station. I can't be the only one who has a thought that someone needing a charge wouldn't be able to get it because of a car left semi-permanently plugged in like that...

Go-Car will give EV owners, free membership to Go-Car on request

This allows you to activate and move a go-car to free the space

can't get better then that really

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Go-Car will give EV owners, free membership to Go-Car on request

This allows you to activate and move a go-car to free the space

can't get better then that really

Moving their own fecking cars and not blocking the infrastructure would be better than that...

;)

It would be very strange is the ioniq was similar or inferior to a car on the market in various forms since 2011 !!!!!

Absolutely. It is obvious people here reckon I come over as negative towards the Leaf. Maybe my points look like that, but I've also often posted that the Leaf is / was a very good car in its time. It's 7 years old now, no wonder other cars have passed it by at this stage

And don't forget I was close to buying a Leaf myself last year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

what double chademo, thats a low power socket to the right , standard fit

It was confirmed , to me , by nissan ireland , 2018 leaf will be chademo

Look closer... at the very least that's a chademo socket cover being used.
    That is not a standard port arrangement for a leaf (remember I've owned two), there are two chademo socket covers at the very least.
    I can spot the difference between a chademo socket cover and a Mennekes or J1772, even just based on scale.

While they could be concealing a type 2 socket, they could also be testing a second DC input (I'm not suggesting simultaneous).

If the Ioniq is significantly faster than the Leaf all I can say is that after my test drive I didn't think it was at all, and it's not something I could actually say you would notice immediately after driving the leaf even for as long as I have.

I'm not biased towards the Leaf at all , I think the Ioniq is a great car and it would be my top choice if buying brand new now.

The Leaf is currently much more available than the Ioniq at this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If the Ioniq is significantly faster than the Leaf all I can say is that after my test drive I didn't think it was at all

Agreed. I did a 48h testdrive of a Leaf the other week and found it extremely nippy. If Ioniq is significantly faster, it is getting into sports-car territory. A brief test drive of Ioniq (in sports mode) did not give me such feeling.

It might be faster in top speed figures, it might accelerate marginally faster - but it is NOT SIGNIFICANTLY faster.

Could ye guys setup a drag race? Maybe...?!

Advertisement