Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Smcani wrote: »
    Hello, Sinead here. Many thanks for sharing the video. I did document some longer distance journeys over on my Instagram (username: whatshedrives, saved under the highlight ‘Kona EV’). I would have quite liked to do a long distance trip for this one too but unfortunately we couldn’t make the logistics work this time, and we also wanted to get a standard review out there first. May well look in to getting it back for a similar feature in the future.

I also just wanted to officially introduce myself on this forum as I’m a long term lurker. Have found it so helpful in researching and addressing the type of questions people might have. Fascinating to read real life owner experiences too. And promise I’m not just here to plug my videos! ��

(Had to remove the link but it was a Youtube video review I did for CarsIreland on the Kona EV)

Nice one thank you.

Welcome to boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I am hearing ads on the radio and seeing them on T, and online daily for the electric Kona with that Hyundai lady's low voice.

Must be big money, it sounds to me like of the 200 odd that came in to the country they probably still have half of them left!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I thought the figures for Jan sales stats for Kona EV were in the order of 360?

Electric car total for Jan 2019 is 811. Kona EV is the lead seller is this segment.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Just had a look on Carzone nearly €50k for a Hyundai are they completely insane you would want be some idiot to spend that on some Korean plastic paddy spec car. Pure insanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Just had a look on Carzone nearly €50k for a Hyundai are they completely insane you would want be some idiot to spend that on some Korean plastic paddy spec car. Pure insanity.

Yeah it's ****ing madness, it's like they want it to fail/not sell them

Hyundai/Kia group are taking the piss imo

Its nearly 40k after vrt/grant deduction

Would love to see the cost breakdown of it

Buyers must be covering the R&D/implementation cost or something, cause in no world does that car cost the Koreans 50k to make

10-12k covers the battery,drivetrain, charge port etc rest is all the same as the ICE version, less the engine, gearbox, exhaust system etc

In terms of pure materials it cant cost more than 5k over an a decent spec ICE Kona

• Advertisement

Yeah, have taken the dip and took delivery of a new Kona EV yesterday. OH will be driving it. 191 C Kona.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Water John wrote: »
    Yeah, have taken the dip and took delivery of a new Kona EV yesterday. OH will be driving it. 191 C Kona.

Congrats, take care of that car and it should be a 10year+ purchase given the battery size

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Thanks, was having to make some move as 3 year PCP was up on the Leaf.
    Know improvements and cheaper on the way but this will be a long term buy.
    Brought it from Limerick to Cork yesterday and only a fraction of the battery used.
    Will be charging both on night rate leccie, so running costs will be pittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Congratulations. It's been a huge upgrade for me personally from my 12 year old low spec diesel. Absolutely loving it. Easily getting 300KM-350KM approx with mainly motorway driving at full 120KMPH, temps 7 degrees, lights on, heater on, full load etc..(Comfort Mode, Regen 0-1 on Motorway - stepping up to Regen 3 when hitting smaller towns passing through non motorway areas etc..)

Recently with milder weather & more urban than motorway (but still a little motorway maybe 30% approx), I've seen the range increase to 404KMs on a full charge.

In fact in this milder weather, with 2 recent short hop journeys (non motorway 18 KM each approx, I got a 12.8 kWh/100KM consumption rate, in Sport Mode :-))

Incredible car & such a pleasure to drive (coming from my low spec 12 year old diesel etc..).

Zappi is working very well at home too.

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 paulm123

new kona driver and new on here,
    transfering from ICE, i would echo bonnoman on the range in reality with the Kona.
    enjoying the car , i think the price at 37 k for a range of 450km compares very well with the nissan leaf similer spec for 32500 and range of 270 km which i looked at as well as the egolf.
    i would have liked a bit of choice around the spec but the range was the deciding factor,
    i went with white as i like the interior more than the darker one, i got the charger at home and intend to charge there.
    Who is the cheapest electric company to go with?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭bonoman66

paulm123 wrote: »
    transfering from ICE, i would echo bonnoman on the range in reality with the Kona.
    enjoying the car , i think the price at 37 k for a range of 450km compares very well with the nissan leaf similer spec for 32500 and range of 270 km which i looked at as well as the egolf.
    i would have liked a bit of choice around the spec but the range was the deciding factor,
    i went with white as i like the interior more than the darker one, i got the charger at home and intend to charge there.

Welcome to the forum.

Hope you enjoy it & the banter..

I've learned a lot here (& continue to learn).

The Kona Electric is one of few cars I thought actually looked good in White too (interior being the lighter color suits it I think).

Hope you've a great time with the car.

Sorry can't answer re the cheapest Electric Company - haven't done my homework yet there myself..

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

paulm123 wrote: »
    I reccomend bonkers for comparing the best Electric rates
    I'm currenty with bord gais energy till april when I will shop around again.

Coming from a car without the tech that is missing in the new Kona (irish spec is missing a lot), the new Kona is a great leap forward in terms of range. And they are very good looking too imo. There's a white one that I pass every morning heading towards Athboy from Navan.

i wasnt comparing my old car to the kona , i was comparing to the leaf and the golf.
    spec price and range the kona overall combination was the best imo (obvious i guess since thats what i'm driving).

tx for the tip re bonkers , i'm not signed up with anyone so i can take my pick

Nice few new owners there, well wear. Is there a list?
    191 C White.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You got one Water John? Must be an enormous improvement compared to your Leaf in range and performance. Well wear!

Yeah, I'd say usually it will be plugged in, once a week, but will always do the longer trips for either of us. Leaf will do my short journeys. Very interested in going 2 EV. I think the lawn mower is next to be changed to robot. Then the OFCH, either a stove or wood gasification.

Just looking at what a family, can realistically do environment wise, without being rabid on the issue. Recently purchased a De Walt battery chainsaw as well.

Just looking at what a family, can realistically do environment wise, without being rabid on the issue.

You and me both, man. Upgraded my PV to 3.8kwp a few weeks ago. It produces more electricity per year than I use (excluding my car). Over the year about 80-85% of my water is heated by the sun via solar thermal

I tried micro wind too, but that was just not viable in a Dublin housing estate

I have very limited means, but I am trying to do my best. The way our generation and the generations before us have left this earth to our children and grand children is disgraceful.

Fair play Unkel, everyone plays the game in front of them. I'm able to put one of the EVs in the Co so that sees after its costs.
    Considering putting a shed near the house and I will make sure the roof is orientated correctly as future proofing.
    Kona was pricey but it was an issue solved. Once decision made and OH on board I tend not to look back. Hope to get a good trip some time soon and will report.

Considering putting a shed near the house and I will make sure the roof is orientated correctly as future proofing.

Indeed. Considering a garden room, max size (without PP) would leave enough space for at least an additional 3.6kwp solar, which would almost double my array :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ce he sin

I've been looking at the Hyundai website. The cheapest petrol Kona is about €21,000. The cheapest EV is about €37,000. I know the EV is at a higher spec so as to disguise the higher price but nonetheless €16,000 is an awful lot extra. But here's the thing. That €37,000 is after a €5,000 VRT credit and a €5,000 SEAI grant. The price before incentives is, if I understand correctly, therefore €47,000 before a dig out from the taxpayer. You'd want to be mad, deeply committed to EVs or both to buy a Kona EV if it wasn't so heavily incentivised.

Yes, IWT that 64Kw EVs will come in €5K lower in the future but then the subsidy may be gone. I think we'll be keeping it a long time so will be writing it off over time. It will be paid for, in full in 5 years.

Ce he sin wrote: »
    I've been looking at the Hyundai website. The cheapest petrol Kona is about €21,000. The cheapest EV is about €37,000. I know the EV is at a higher spec so as to disguise the higher price but nonetheless €16,000 is an awful lot extra. But here's the thing. That €37,000 is after a €5,000 VRT credit and a €5,000 SEAI grant. The price before incentives is, if I understand correctly, therefore €47,000 before a dig out from the taxpayer. You'd want to be mad, deeply committed to EVs or both to buy a Kona EV if it wasn't so heavily incentivised.

You understand it perfectly. Kona EV in Ireland is by no means a cheap car, at a massive EUR37k after EUR10k incentives. And it is not well specced either. An Ioniq at EUR26k (after incentives) is a bigger car and has a better spec. But obviously not the range.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Call_me_Al

I wish the VRT was scrapped at this stage

The VRT is scrapped at this stage, Call_me_al ;)

There is no VRT on EVs worth EUR35k or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Call_me_Al

it should be scrapped for non EV too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭patmac

Yeah, I'd say usually it will be plugged in, once a week, but will always do the longer trips for either of us. Leaf will do my short journeys. Very interested in going 2 EV. I think the lawn mower is next to be changed to robot. Then the OFCH, either a stove or wood gasification.

Just looking at what a family, can realistically do environment wise, without being rabid on the issue. Recently purchased a De Walt battery chainsaw as well.

Well ware, I have an Ioniq and it suits me and my budget fine and it’s the best thing I have bought, the second best is the robot lawn mower, does a brilliant job, no cuttings and no moss. Sorry for going off topic.

Ce he sin wrote: »

as a kona driver i am obviously biased but i dont get the Kona is so expensive argument, a similer speced leaf is 32.5k and the range is 280 compared to 450km, if the Kona is expensive then the Leaf must be outrageous surely (driver bias acknowledged)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

I'm currently in the market for a new car, an upgrade from my 14 year old estate which has done little but give trouble over the last two years. Mostly electrical faults with not starting.

So I have a few thoughts about the Kona

1. The Kona EV is 49k in the local garage. Yes you get 10k back, but I really don't think the Kona EV stacks up against other cars that cost 49k. In fact, apart from being an EV, it falls very short of those other cars in that price range.

2. I have three kids under 7 (one baby seat, two boosters) and I feel that the Kona is a little tight on space in the back seats. It would be OK for a few years, but as the kids get bigger, the lack of space would become more of a problem. Would it be better to wait for the Kia e-Niro?

3. Comparing to the other EVs (Leaf / Ioniq), the Kona EV is quite a bit more expensive for the additional range. I could be wrong, but it appears to be roughly 150 miles vs 250 miles. The vast majority of my travel would fall within the lower range, with maybe at most ten longer distance trips a year, where I would have to stop for an hour or so somewhere. Is that extra range worth the extra cost when it would not be needed most of the year?

4. Comparing to other similar ICE, again the Kona EV is far more expensive. Running costs would be a lot lower for an EV, but over a five to ten year period, would the additional up front cost of the Kona EV pay off?

I really like that idea of getting an EV, and I really need to replace what I currently have. Anyone on here that has purchased an Kona does appear to be very happy, which is really great news. But those same people are probably upgraded from an old car making the experience night and day between the two.

If you were to look at the purchase based solely on return on investment, when compared against other EVs / ICE, where do you think that Kona EV stands?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,070 ✭✭✭✭KCross

davemie wrote: »
    I'm currently in the market for a new car, an upgrade from my 14 year old estate which has done little but give trouble over the last two years. Mostly electrical faults with not starting.

If you were to look at the purchase based solely on return on investment, when compared against other EVs / ICE, where do you think that Kona EV stands?

Forget about EV for a minute.... if you were to go out and buy a new replacement car, what would it be? That would give us an idea of what you are after and what budget you have etc.

Then compare those cars to the Kona EV. Otherwise comparisons are meaningless as we often get people comparing entry level petrol models to EV's which isnt apples to apples at all. Show us what you are looking at and then we can compare.

Since you're looking at a Kona I presume you are also looking at the likes of a Tuscon or a Sportage or a Kuga etc. A new 1.6d Tuscon in mid spec trim is €32k+ so thats €6k gap between it and Kona EV.

If you are doing any decent kind of mileage in it the extra spend will be paid for in ~3yrs in fuel savings. YMMV.

But the Kona is small so I'd agree it probably doesnt suit you with growing kids. The eNiro is a better bet but thats not yet available and price and spec not yet announced.

Advertisement