Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stuff you miss about Ireland when abroad

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭oseia

Spent the best part of a year in a couple of different places, ended up missing:

Friends.

Family.

The sense of humour and the craic.

The dog.

Supermacs.

Galway.

Buskers.

Bacon and cabbage, sheppherds' pie, stew, homemade brown bread and soup and basically anything the mammy makes.

Cadburys (even if it's not Irish). Tayto. Chicken rolls. Saisage rolls. Goodfellas' pizza.

The "stand clear, luggage doors operating" (someone mentioned it earlier). :D

Irish in train announcements.

Irish on signs.

Knowing people will get Father Ted references.

Being able to see the stars in the sky.

Toilet roll and hand dryers in public toilets.

The euro.

Those few days of class weather in April and during the summer every year when everyone tends to make the most of them because the weather's usually not as nice (though not awful compared to other climates).

Not being stared at or questioned for wearing shorts and a t-shirt in over 30 degree heat (or even 20+ degrees).

Not being stared at for being white, freckley, blue-eyed and tall.

Not being stared at.

Not being taller than almost everyone.

Not constantly having to keep an eye on my valuables.

People waving or greeting each other even if they don't know each other and the general friendliness.

Our accents.

Our phrases.

Lambs in spring.

Fresh air.

Fields.

The post man delivering something for your granny to your house if she's not home because everyone knows everyone and where everyone lives.

The GAA.

Pitch invasions.

The grand stretch in the evenings.

Chippers being open until early morning.

The smoking ban.

Seeing someone I don't know and them knowing who my parents or siblings are just by looking at me.

Manners.

People holding the door open for far longer than they really need to just to be polite.

The language not having a formal version of "you" for me to worry about.

The turf fires.

The meal times (as well as all of the meals).

The sense of community when everyone shouts because someone's broken a glass.

Being able to laugh at ourselves.

The general laid back attitude.

The slang.

Whatever Irish I can remember.

The colour green and the grass here not being all dried up and horrible to walk on like in some countries.

The sh¡te talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Photo-Sniper

Such a cliche but definately "the craic".

I socialize a lot in my current country of residence but no matter who you meet, what you do, what you drink...you just cant beat home and everyone complaining about stupid things...its just great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

The Dublin architecture.
    The weather, I never knew how much I loved rain until I hadn't seen it for a month straight. Cool, damp, cloudy weather beats obscene heat any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

the misery and cynicism . americans are far too friendly and optimistic it makes me distrustful.

oh and hot chicken rolls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭househero

Our cows.

They taste the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Not even kidding but there's been talks in the city I live in to tackle the wrong way drivers. People entering the freeways and driving at high speed the wrong way. It's killed a lot of people.

People flash lights if you have your brights on and you're coming towards them. They also flash their lights to warn of a flooded road, Cow or Sheep on the road, Garda checkpoint or an accident. I like the warning, if somebody flashed their lights at me here, I'd just think they were being a prick.

There's roundabout here too and people don't know how to use them.

You also don't stay in the lane IF you're driving on a freeway with many inter-connected highways and freeways. You can't stay in the one lane. Unless you're staying in the far left lane which is what people do. Which is why there's no passing lane.

Common occurrence on the M8, I was driving to Clonmel one evening and saw cars driving down the overtaking lane the wrong way towards me.

Turned out there was an accident up ahead and one car had turned around to go back to the earlier exit and everyone just followed him.

Flashing your high beams at oncoming cars at night time because they saw a speeding van (that to be honest are so luminous they are hard to miss anyway)

The ambiguity is dangerous, it can either mean "you can go" or "you prick" or "hi ted" or "get out of the way".

Driving the continental European keep right rule in the U.S. will get you pulled over or in some states possibly shot :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Friends and family. Nothing else. Sorry Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Clonakilty black pudding. Lamb.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Depraved

Egginacup wrote: »
    Jesus, what the hell is keeping you there if you have to endure all that?

Charity work. I help several of the local charities, mostly working with street children or the mentally impaired.

On the plus side, I'm actually average height here (5' 7"), food is cheap (2 double burgers + large coke for €2), and the people are friendly.

Oh and the language is a blast!
    For example, they don't say 'Good evening', they say 'Magandang gabi' which is 'Beautiful evening' instead. So much more positive.
    The language also has some amazing tongue-twisters like 'Ikinagagalak kong makilala kayo ginang Cruz' which means 'It is a pleasure to be acquainted with you Mrs Cruz'...ie. Again, so much nicer than the English It's nice to meet you.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭evilberry

Going all bonkers while it's sunny

Not feeling stupid while saying "sorry" when someone tells me I dropped something and hands it back

"Not in service" - feck, what that the last luas?!

Dublin bus speeding while turning to the point it makes you wonder if it's gonna fall over on its side or not and in case it does - will I survive in the place where I sit, what do I hold on to?

Sli na Slainte from Eastpoint to Howth

Galway Bay

English... wel it's just not the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Absolutely nothing, when in Rome & all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

faceman wrote: »
    Friends and family. Nothing else. Sorry Ireland.

Well you must miss something or wouldn't be on this site!

Advertisement