Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why do some people pretend to support certain football teams?

• 18-11-2019 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭

I know people who wear man U, liverpool jerseys and say they support them yet they never watch matches and dont even know what players they have. anyone any idea why people would do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

The craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

pgj2015 wrote: »
    I know people who wear man U, liverpool jerseys and say they support them yet they never watch matches and dont even know what players they have. anyone any idea why people would do this?

A lot of people get international jerseys of other countries or pick up ones for teams in mainland European teams.

Don’t know many who’d be wearing “premier league” jerseys but not actually supporting the team.

What I have noticed is that you don’t actually see as many Man Utd “fans” as you would have a few years ago.

A lot of the ones I knew are now League of Ireland fans. Claiming they enjoy going to “live” football and that it’s a “purer” form of the game.

Now, don’t get me wrong, it’s great to see the LoI getting numbers at the games but, as I’ve said previously on this site, I’d be worried about those numbers dropping if United sort them sort themselves out. Don’t see it happening for a few years yet though.

All very disingenuous, from where I’m standing.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's awful isn't it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What I have noticed is that you don’t actually see as many Man Utd “fans” as you would have a few years ago.

Baffling. I wonder why that is. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,441 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

They must know Roy Keane?

• Advertisement

Ah, I know they’ve fallen off a bit of a “cliff” but, I mean, it’s only been a few seasons.

I, myself, support a team who went from the top of the old first division into the championship. I’ve friends who still support Aston Villa or Everton.

The guys I know who sudden “follow” League of Ireland are lads who’d have been down the pub on a Sunday shouting at the TV. They’d have considered themselves “die hard” fans.

I assumed that you’d see their fanbase dwindle due to a lack of young people taking up supporting them but didn’t expect their older fans to just stop.

The tide is turning…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

What did they say when you asked them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The answer is B - This is a Man U bashing thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

In fairness I looked at the lineup for the Irish match the other night against New Zealand and there was more than a couple Irish players I don't think I'd heard of

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

A lot of the ones I knew are now League of Ireland fans. Claiming they enjoy going to “live” football and that it’s a “purer” form of the game.

They could save themselves a fiver and watch similar standard in St Annes park every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Maybe they’re pretending not to know any players and secretly watch the matches when they’re at home alone and the reason they do this is because they don’t want to be bored out of their minds by having to listen to Shiite about football and how xxx are playing etc etc from other people who watch football and do nothing but talk about it and automatically think every one else has the same unhealthy obsession with a bunch of **** running around a field after a bloody football.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    The answer is B - This is a Man U bashing thread.

i-approve-of-this-thread

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah I see it loads. It's just what they were taught to do by their dad, uncle, peers or whatever. I know I did it whe I was young. Pretended to like football and pretended to follow Man U. If they had to choose what they like and don't like they wouldn't bother with football and that's exactly what I did.

That's why football coverage is often aimed at the level of soap opera - to give the people who don't actually like football something to read that's relate to their team. If they just gave football analysis, they'd never get clicks from those fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

You have little to be worrying about OP. They don't burden me as I don't share the same space as them. Try it sometime, that weight might fall off your shoulders.

im not worried about it in the slightest, im just confused as to why grown adults pretend they are into something when they arent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've never met someone wearing the jersey of an English side that didn't have some knowledge or interest about the team.

Arghus wrote: »
    I've never met someone wearing the jersey of an English side that didn't have some knowledge or interest about the team.

really? i have met a fair few who would struggle to name 1 player on the team. its really strange, it would be like someone wearing a slipknot t shirt even though they like country music and never listen to slipknot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Relax The Cax

Its because they're Liverpool fans now

Its because they're Liverpool fans now

That reminds me of the time bertie ahern was on the premiership show on rte and he said he supported man united and liverpool:pac::pac:

That reminds me of the time bertie ahern was on the premiership show on rte and he said he supported man united and liverpool:pac::pac:

He's a Man City fan now.

• Advertisement

It's the same story with the Ireland team

For the New Zealand game there was less than 20,000 in attendance.
    for Denmark there'll be a sell out

Every single person there tomorrow will tell you that thery were at the new zealand match

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Not just football a lot of people seem to support Leinster but check out their average attendance and it’s not high

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

A lot of people get international jerseys of other countries or pick up ones for teams in mainland European teams.

Don’t know many who’d be wearing “premier league” jerseys but not actually supporting the team.

Now, don’t get me wrong, it’s great to see the LoI getting numbers at the games but, as I’ve said previously on this site, I’d be worried about those numbers dropping if United sort them sort themselves out. Don’t see it happening for a few years yet though.

LOI is a very different kettle of fish to the PL though, as you say yourself a lot of premier league fans would have been down the pub on sunday watching it on a televsion.. if they want to watch LOI they've got to go to the game on a Friday evening

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Not just football a lot of people seem to support Leinster but check out their average attendance and it’s not high

That's a seriously hefty band wagon.

You dont expect them to go and watch games do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Peatys wrote: »
    They could save themselves a fiver and watch similar standard in St Annes park every weekend.
    A fiver!! When were you last at a match?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I go to work and somebody asks did I watch the match. 5 minutes later I’ve realised that I’m the only one that watched the match the rest read about it in the back of a tabloid or seen the goals on twitter.

People do it to sound impressive or slag each other. A bit childish.

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Leinster has one of, if not the, highest average attendances in the Pro14. Munster and Ulster would be far off either.

And that’s not too bad considering rugby is still behind soccer, Gaelic football and hurling in participation numbers.

The tide is turning…

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Ah, I know they’ve fallen off a bit of a “cliff” but, I mean, it’s only been a few seasons.

I, myself, support a team who went from the top of the old first division into the championship. I’ve friends who still support Aston Villa or Everton.

The guys I know who sudden “follow” League of Ireland are lads who’d have been down the pub on a Sunday shouting at the TV. They’d have considered themselves “die hard” fans.

I assumed that you’d see their fanbase dwindle due to a lack of young people taking up supporting them but didn’t expect their older fans to just stop.

Leeds, Ireland is full of yis

Seperately i have noticed a drop off of sorts in the amount of people i see actually wearing football shirts. Back in the mid late 90's and most of early noughties they were ten a penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

https://youtu.be/6yN2H3--1aw

I'm curious is there a minimum level of engagement before you're allowed to call yourself a fan or wear a shirt.

People get different things out it. I've never worn the shirts, but I only dip in and out of watching it, preferred playing sport to watching. Supported same team the whole time. Never get too deep into it. Bit of a lightweight I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

It's the same story with the Ireland team

For the New Zealand game there was less than 20,000 in attendance.
    for Denmark there'll be a sell out

Every single person there tomorrow will tell you that thery were at the new zealand match

Do you mean the rugby match against Munster in 1978?

Advertisement