Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

YouTube Creators - Small channels will be cut from the partner program

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Thanks very much to everyone who's helped me out on my channel. Much closer to the 1k now :) If anyone wants me to help you out on YouTube, let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

doylefe wrote: »
    Maybe this is a good thing for YouTube.

Maybe it will bring it back to a time where it was about people uploading watchable content because they did it as a hobby, instead of what it turned into which is an incessant grind to churn out as much ****e as possible in an attempt to generate revenue from watchers, while also whoring oneself out to be a shill for large corporations.

I wish I could filter out all that and just see the smaller creators that I like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can smaller creators not merge and share a channel?

beauf wrote:
    Can smaller creators not merge and share a channel?

I'm not sure, I know you can join and collaborate with other channels although think YouTube pays on the individual channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

This shows how stupid this new rule is.
    All the small creators that are anyway close to 1000 subs are scrambling to find ways to get to that level. They are doing it by any means they can. Beg borrow and ask strangers for subs.
    In the last week I have seen loads of creators asking followers to sub to their friends channels.

Don't get me wrong most deserve it and it's great to find new creators. But it make a mockery of the new rule

• Advertisement

This shows how stupid this new rule is. All the small creators that are anyway close to 1000 subs are scrambling to find ways to get to that level. They are doing it by any means they can. Beg borrow and ask strangers for subs. In the last week I have seen loads of creators asking followers to sub to their friends channels.

Don't get me wrong most deserve it and it's great to find new creators. But it make a mockery of the new rule

Very true, although that wasn't the point of the thread. I wanted to discuss the new rules and some boardsies were kind enough to help me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭duffman3833

Even tho im no longer gonna get money, i might do the odd video for the fun, im sure a lot will be in same boat. I only got into it to create and render videos as i wanted to learn, so ill keep it that way

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I got partnered or something, whatever it was called years ago, but never hit the threshold for a single cheque. Still make the odd video. Not in it for cash.

If you're small enough to be below 1k chances are the payout would be less than a Dominos pizza every two months, if thats destroying your interest in then you probably aren't going anywhere anyways. Maybe thats harsh but the next Neistat will keep at the normal job until they hit the threshold.

ED E wrote:
    If you're small enough to be below 1k chances are the payout would be less than a Dominos pizza every two months, if thats destroying your interest in then you probably aren't going anywhere anyways. Maybe thats harsh but the next Neistat will keep at the normal job until they hit the threshold.

I understand what you're saying, but that's not destroying my interest. As I said in my first post, I meet the views threshold with over 50k views per month but my subs were low, so I would lose my payment every two months(however small).

Going to keep up with the channel as I really enjoy it. Cheers to everyone for helping me!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CallmeKeano

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    I comfortably hit the minutes watched barometer on my active account, but sub base is only 500 - niche hobby so growing could be challenging...or I could put out better content :D Was a bit of a kick to get the mail this morning though.

I myself have a small channel I do however meet the requirements, I have 840k views and 2500 subs, I have taken the foot off over the last year I still hot 1k views on new uploads might take a few weeks but I seem to get there. I am still partnered ( I actually logged in earlier just to check) but I can go months without uploading. Sorry for the rant my point is this why are you upset about not being allowed to make money from your videos I make around €20 a month on a channel that gets 15,000 monthly views and is almost unused. Unless you have a hell of a lot of views coming in you cannot make decent money.

*(This is a new account only because I am on a new machine and lost my email address and boards account) I will post a screenshot of my dashboard if anyone is looking for an arguement on my stats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

It was probably very expensive in administration costs to distribute so many low numbers of cash to do many small channels.

GingerLily wrote: »
    It was probably very expensive in administration costs to distribute so many low numbers of cash to do many small channels.

It is run by google adsence and they don't seem to have a minimum requirement for a website once it is generating clean traffic and zero copyright they are normally accepted

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mudabi

tedpan wrote: »
    I understand what you're saying, but that's not destroying my interest. As I said in my first post, I meet the views threshold with over 50k views per month but my subs were low, so I would lose my payment every two months(however small).

Going to keep up with the channel as I really enjoy it. Cheers to everyone for helping me!

Only 2 more to go :)

I myself have a small channel I do however meet the requirements, I have 840k views and 2500 subs, I have taken the foot off over the last year I still hot 1k views on new uploads might take a few weeks but I seem to get there. I am still partnered ( I actually logged in earlier just to check) but I can go months without uploading. Sorry for the rant my point is this why are you upset about not being allowed to make money from your videos I make around €20 a month on a channel that gets 15,000 monthly views and is almost unused. Unless you have a hell of a lot of views coming in you cannot make decent money.

Yep, I get about 40-50k monthly views, just low on subs.
    mudabi wrote:
    Only 2 more to go

Yep, nearly there :) really appreciate my fellow boardsies! Anyone else need assistance, let me know!

Yep, I get about 40-50k monthly views, just low on subs.

Yep, nearly there :) really appreciate my fellow boardsies! Anyone else need assistance, let me know!

well if you want I can sub to you if you need help I'm willing.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I subbed

well if you want I can sub to you if you need help I'm willing.

Thanks, happy to return the favour!
    Lenny wrote:
    I subbed

Cheers, thanks very much!

post your channel link i will sub

post your channel link i will sub

https://youtu.be/WldrINKysPU

Cheers!

I have subbed now good job 2.9 million views, really random channel (like mine) I watched your video on Jim Carey interesting stuff.

• Advertisement

I have subbed now good job 2.9 million views, really random channel (like mine) I watched your video on Jim Carey interesting stuff.

Yep, it's a bit of everything alright. Thanks for helping me out! Do you have a link to yours, would like to take a look.

Yep, it's a bit of everything alright. Thanks for helping me out! Do you have a link to yours, would like to take a look.

of course its https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChtJpt_f6aWDigCbOWjO8AA

of course its

Class channel, so much random content, like the series of vids on Rubik's cubes. Had to sub!

Thanks, man appreciate the feedback.

I have a couple of friends with channels I will send them your way and hopefully get you where you need to be.

Thanks, man appreciate the feedback.

I have a couple of friends with channels I will send them your way and hopefully get you where you need to be.

Much appreciated!

Thanks for everyone's support!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CorMc

Although I never got any money from Youtube it was always cool seeing the counter go up and hit $20. Unfortunately I hit neither criteria... I haven't even got 100 subs! But I'm still going to keep making videos, as I enjoy watching back on them at the end of the year. Kind of a "What have I done with my year"

youtube.com/user/CorMc09

Advertisement