Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Timber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

recipio wrote: »
    I would imagine you could use pressure treated softwood for that. If you can't find 4x4 just glue up whatever you have to get the final dimensions. Not forgetting to use a waterproof glue. ;)

Would something like this do, or would it not be as strong as the Douglas Fir? (It's a deck post)

https://mccarthystramore.ie/product/4x4-treated-deck-post-2-4m/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

brianblaze wrote: »
    Would something like this do, or would it not be as strong as the Douglas Fir? (It's a deck post)

That looks ideal. It will have plenty of structural strength.The manufactures of pressure treated wood have eliminated the nasty chemicals they used to use so the stuff is now safe for human contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭brianblaze

That looks ideal. It will have plenty of structural strength.The manufactures of pressure treated wood have eliminated the nasty chemicals they used to use so the stuff is now safe for human contact.

Cheers!! Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

Anyone out there got a contact for Paulownia?

Or be interest in sharing shipping from Spain?

jamesbil wrote: »
    Anyone out there got a contact for Paulownia?

Or be interest in sharing shipping from Spain?

I wouldn’t set fire to it for some heat even if my fingers were about to fall off.

A hateful wood if you’ve any intention of using finer hand joinery techniques or having it stand up to any wear and tear or knocks/bumps at all.

• Advertisement

JayZeus wrote: »
    I wouldn’t set fire to it for some heat even if my fingers were about to fall off.

A hateful wood if you’ve any intention of using finer hand joinery techniques or having it stand up to any wear and tear or knocks/bumps at all.

Ha, is it that bad to work with? was thinking of using it for wooden built paddle board. Might go red cedar instead.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Very interesting details of Paulownia here,

https://www.wood-database.com/paulownia/

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭dendof

Would anyone know where to get replacement slats in Ireland for garden bench?
    This kit is exactly what I'm looking for:
    https://www.arbc.co.uk/standard-bench-kit

dendof wrote: »

That's one inch Iroko planed and bullnosed. I would think your best bet is to contact a joinery works ( the smaller the better ) and ask them to mill them for you.

dendof wrote: »

Itp.ie might be worth a look if I remember correctly a mate got rough larch from them when restoring some garden benches at a reasonable price. But at the time he was able to go to the yard and pick out what he wanted and take it in his van.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Planning to build a pergola over paving at home. Would anyone recommend a good timber to use? Something like larch or cedar?

Also, for the corner posts they will need to be about 10’ tall and as thick as I can get. What’s the chances of getting posts 4x4 or bigger? Any good places to try?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Where are u based:
    at 10 feet you could double/treble 6 by 2.
    At 10 feet, wind loading needs to be considered, whats the ground fixing?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Where are u based:
    at 10 feet you could double/treble 6 by 2.
    At 10 feet, wind loading needs to be considered, whats the ground fixing?

Halfway between Kilkenny and Portlaoise.
    Had thought about laminating the 6x2. Is there any challenge laminating something that will be exposed to the elements for years?

Planning to anchor bolt a steel bracket into a concrete base at each corner. Is more than this needed?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

bamayang wrote: »
    Planning to build a pergola over paving at home. Would anyone recommend a good timber to use? Something like larch or cedar?

Also, for the corner posts they will need to be about 10’ tall and as thick as I can get. What’s the chances of getting posts 4x4 or bigger? Any good places to try?

Why do the corners have to be 10' high.

And if you are laminating multiples of 6x2 , you need to have

proper connection methods employed, ie. bolt sizing, additional metal plates possibly.

And ground connection needs to be appropriate to anchor the building.

And if its near a neighbours property, are you entering into an engineers domain at all ???

Needs to be asked

brianblaze wrote: »

Just one source. I'm sure they are available in the bigger garden centres. Laminating never looks quite as good as solid timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Greetings bamayang,
    I've a sawmill and larch in suitable sizes for your project, I will cut to order, you supply the cutting list, I'll fell suitable larch trees from my forest and cut it for you. I charge €13 per cu ft or €460 per m³ just figure the volume of timber you need and you can figure your price.
    pm me if you are interested, I am located in the midlands about 19km north of Athlone.
    all the best
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Just one source. I'm sure they are available in the bigger garden centres. Laminating never looks quite as good as solid timber.

These are expensive €550 m³ for pressure treated timber is a bit of a sting.
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Guru Maith Agut

Lads I'm looking for 6 sheets of 8x4 birch plywood. I had used Brooks (online) for an order in the past few weeks but I found they were an absolute SHAM of a company! I ordered some decking boards and was left short 1 board. Not a big deal if I hadn't measured exactly and needed 15 boards instead of the delivered quantity of 14. :rolleyes:

Long story short, I got absolutely NO joy out of the manager of their online department until I rattled off the same email day after day for a week and gave them a ****ty review on their Google business page. That woke somebody up! :D
    I then got a call from another chap who couldn't apologise enough and said he'd get me the missing board out early next week that they were out of stock and he couldn't understand where the breakdown in communication had happened. Fair enough I said, I just wanted a call to tell me that rather than me having to chase them as I had done for over a week.
    Lo and behold, they have now blocked my online account it would seem. I got some shpiel about them starting a "new website" and I may have to register again, but the original URL hasn't changed from the one the previous week so.. :eek::eek:

So they can go fcuk themselves now, I'll shop elsewhere.

Sooooo, where do you get your birch ply the cheapest please, lads and ladies? I had got some from Ray Grahams (up north) last year but I'd prefer to buy south if at all possible.

TIA ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,301 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

he'd get me the missing board out early next week that they were out of stock
    i think i have a suspicion why you didn't get your 15 boards.

did you pay by credit card? one option may be to dispute the transaction.

i think i have a suspicion why you didn't get your 15 boards.

did you pay by credit card? one option may be to dispute the transaction.

Yes I paid by card. But its not the missing board was the problem. It was the fact that not one human being could call me back to tell me this lightbulb event. I had to do all the chasing after the initial call I made telling a manager that, on the day it was all delivered while the driver was still there to concur.

Common business courtesy like :mad:

I'm a bit beyond disputing the transaction at this stage tbh. Their loss, not mine as I order a lot of wood online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Guru Maith Agut, where are you based?

FWIW, I have bought a decent amount of 18mm Baltic Birch form Wood Industries in Rathdrum, Wicklow as well as from Woodworkers in Terenure-both great to deal with. I'm sure they would carry a decent stock. I also found Strahan's in Rathcoole carry some nice wood-again bound to have stock & helpful staff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

glynf wrote: »
    I also found Strahan's in Rathcoole carry some nice wood-again bound to have stock & helpful staff.

+1 for Strahan
    I'm a guitar maker and buy all of my wood from them
    Great service, communication and quick delivery times

glynf wrote: »
    Guru Maith Agut, where are you based?

All the way northwest in soggy Cyavan.

I'll check out those two options. Thanks Glyn

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,301 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

hijacking this question, sent to me by a friend; this is in her parents garden, the tiles are cedar and she was wondering was there any maintenance which might be suggested? i told her not to apply any finish to the tiles.

516305.jpg

hijacking this question, sent to me by a friend; this is in her parents garden, the tiles are cedar and she was wondering was there any maintenance which might be suggested? i told her not to apply any finish to the tiles.

516305.jpg

Biocidal wash, NOT bleach or hypo. Will kill any moss, algae, fungus etc, gradually come back to weathered wood colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Murt102

Can anyone recommend somewhere in Ireland that does nice garden fencing / “contemporary” garden fences. Most garden centers I’ve been to only have the rough shiplap fencing. Looking for something like the following;

home-design.jpg

contemporary-garden-fencing-ideas-1-3390.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,358 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Those sort of fences are bespoke, you won't pick them up in a garden centre.

Need to hire a landscaper or a carpenter that does fencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

awec wrote: »
    Those sort of fences are bespoke, you won't pick them up in a garden centre.

Need to hire a landscaper or a carpenter that does fencing.

That makes it sound beyond a mere mortals reach. It's just timber pinned to batons on a wall. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭headtheball14

Clone sawmills have a contemporary vogue fence on website, similar

• Advertisement

Greetings bamayang,
    I've a sawmill and larch in suitable sizes for your project, I will cut to order, you supply the cutting list, I'll fell suitable larch trees from my forest and cut it for you. I charge €13 per cu ft or €460 per m³ just figure the volume of timber you need and you can figure your price.
    pm me if you are interested, I am located in the midlands about 19km north of Athlone.
    all the best
    tim

Would this be planed?

Advertisement